SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Stallion with odd hind leg problem

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Stallion with odd hind leg problem « Previous Next »

Saffron
Breeding Stock
Username: Saffron

Post Number: 284
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another problem...my colt is one and a half and is due to go to the stallion licencing to breed next december 2008...his papers are great, temperament and movement too. He really is a good candidate BUT for the last 2 weeks he has a really funny problem with his hind legs...he comes from the stable in the morning dragging his toe on the floor then it will sort of click and jirk upwards and all is ok..but this will happen 4 or 5 times from the stable to the field and i have seen it on both legs!
My vet says it is a problem with a tendon and he may grow out of it or we may have to cut a tendon???Has anyone any experience of this and can it be fixed??? Any ideas??Thanks!

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock
Username: Lisa98

Post Number: 172
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's known as locking up - or where they "lock up" in the stifle (upward fixation of the patella). This can be seen often in horses that are very straight up and down in the hind leg (post legged). It seems to happen more to horses that have more muscling on the outside of the leg than the inside. If the condition continues and becomes bothersome or becomes worse, there is a surgical procedure that can be done to prevent the locking up from happening any more, but it is best not to have to do surgery. Massage of the gaskin and thigh muscles might be helpful in preventing the locking up also. Sometimes it is due to a growth spurt and after that they will not have any more problems. Good luck, hope I've helped a litte bit....

Saffron
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 285
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thankyou, yes that is helpful because he is very big for his age and my vet did say he thought he could grow out of it...i guess movement is good for him...he has a huge box and is all day everyday in the field,fingers crossed it goes away
Thankyou

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock
Username: Lisa98

Post Number: 173
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, movement is good. Longing him can be helpful...it seems to happen more when they just stand in a stall after being worked. Try massage after work outs and keeping him out as much as is allowable for free movement. I think it is much more scary to watch then it is for the horse if that makes you feel any better. Fingers crossed you've seen it for the last time though!! Good luck with your revision!!

Heather Cooke
Yearling
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saffron
Try not to stall him, he is better off to keep moving. I have had 2 in the pass with the same problem, tried blistering, did not work. Ended up having them cut. You need to exercise him and keep him fit, which most warmblood people are against doing at such a young age.
If you have to have surgery, find a vet that will split the tendon, don't cut the tendon. It is a new method, cause scare tissue and thickening of the tendon so it doesn't strech out and hang up across the front of the stifle. If you have the tendon cut it is gone and is no longer there to support the stifle. Google " Splitting the stifle tendon " to learn more.

Here is a good article to get you started http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=10546

Saffron
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 288
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 02:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very interesting thankyou...its true i am also worried about exercising such a young horse..i know plenty of horses with problems due to working too early!! If i lunge him on sand for 15 mins a day this must be enough??
It is only happening in the mornings when he has been standing all night, maybe if i move him to an outside stall with a field 24 hours this may help!
I want to avoid all surgery because i really want him licenced next year!

Heather Cooke
Yearling

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd leave him out 24/7, the idea exercise would be ponying him at a trot, long straight lines with a slight hill. Lunging puts a lot of pressure on the shoulders, stifle and hocks.

I found this video clip, please check it out, it is very informative.

http://www.horseproblems.com.au/Video/listen.wmv

Phyllis Schroder
Neonate
Username: Shadowbend

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saffron,
Both Heather and Lisa's advice is very good. Stick with more turnout and straight lines and less longing for excercise. I have one OTTb mare that has this condition (rather common among track horses) on one side and longing can be harder on her. Do everything you can to avoid having to cut the tendon if possible.
I would also strongly suggest taking a good look at his diet and speaking with your vet about it. When bone grows at a faster rate than the muscle is growing/lengthening you can get a variety of unwanted effects such as the stifle problem you are experiencing. Since he is showing signs on both sides and is at a good age for large growth spurts this may well be a big part of the contributor. One of my draft crosses would have huge growth spurts off and on and at one point (just over a year old) started to show signs of his tendons tightening and I decided to back his diet way down. For 3 months he got hay, pasture and a vitamin & mineral supplement. I took him off the grain feeds entirely and he did fabulous and got right back on the normal growth track. He didn't really like it and missed his feed but it was for the best. If you are noticing that he is having a good growth spurt, getting fairly rump high lately or tendons tightening (front or back) definitely consider his dietary intake and any neccessary changes needed to allow his muscle growth to catch up. Best wishes

Saffron
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 291
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 02:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks..it had also occured to me to cut down the food...and i have reduced it...i will look into moving him to a stall with permenant turnout (although it is hard because he is always the first one waiting at the gate to come in)
i have a walking machine but it is on concrete and in a circle so i guess that is no good, i will leave him out and walk him in hand everyday and hope this helps...i must avoid surgery if i want to have any chance of getting him licenced next year (and thats why he is here)
I really hope it sorts itself out

Heather Cooke
Yearling

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saffron
Years ago I bought a older roping/ranch horse for the soul purpose of ponying a yearling colt that was starting to develop this issue. He was worth his weigth in gold especially when the colts were old enough to back. I even did a little team roping which was a real stretch for me since I ride hunters.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US