SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Testicles dropping

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Testicles dropping « Previous Next »

Saffron
Breeding Stock
Username: Saffron

Post Number: 283
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hallo all,
I have been offered a one and a half year old stallion/colt because although his parents are 16 hands he is predicted to be less than 15 hands (dont ask me how he is predicted to be anything but this is what the owner told me "he wont be bigger than 15 hands)

Anyway apart from the dodgy height prediction the owner also says his testicles have not dropped...her vet has told her they can come later! My question is at what age do the testicles drop (i thought as a foal) and can you do anything about it??? Are there any health implications about dropping testicles?(or not dropping as the case is)
Any ideas are appreciated!

Zoe Urquhart
Neonate
Username: Landtober_babe

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don`t know if I`m in a position to advise but if the colts parents are 16hh and he won`t be more than 15hh then I`d be asking why? it sounds like he has either had a terrible start to life - maybe medical or developmantal problems?
I`m only saying as we had a filly with a horrific leg injusry as a foal and both her her parents are 17hh+ but she will only be 16hh at most but we know this is because her leg was so bad it really held her back as she had multipal operations on it to correct it and was very poorly for months and we thought we`d lose her, she is doing great now and we can give her a clean bill of health but she is stunted and mentally scarred from her ordeal so wouldn`t suit any old person - she actually will never be for sale!!!!

Angela Barbour
Nursing Foal
Username: Palominomare2006

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would not be worrie at this point about him not being dropped. I had a stallion that did not dropped till he was 4 years old and he is doing great at breeding.
I don't know how they tell you he is not going be bigger then 15hh if both parents are talling then that. He is still growing.

Saffron
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 286
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah i also thought that given a good feeding regime and time to develop you cant necessarily say how big he will be, he could still grow an awful lot next year and the years after that!! The owner said he was always small...right from the birth on and that his testicles havent dropped as a result of his slow development?? I dont know but given time he might develop normally!! The owner said a friend did a test of measuring bone legnth and width and predicted he would be under 15 hh???
Have any of you guys any experience with injecting beta carotin as an aid to development of young horses??( it is supposed to promote growth??)

Zoe Urquhart
Neonate
Username: Landtober_babe

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have found that many breeders more or less give away th estunted ugly ducklings only to regret it later!! if he is inexpensive and you have the space then why not?? you never know.......

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 09:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read the article on this site about cryptorchidism (follow that link) - it should answer your questions.

After you've read the article, if you're still interested in the horse, have a veterinarian that is experienced in equine reproduction (preferably a theriogenologist evaluate him for testicular presence. If necessary the vet will lay him down in order to palpate and/or ultrasound the testicular region. Both testicles should be palpable, although possibly with difficulty. If they are not both palpable or visible on u/s, they are probably not both there. Note that a lot of inexperienced people believe that (a) the testicles may go up and down out like a yo-yo; and (b) that it is possible to successfully palpate the testicles in all cases with a colt standing.

Both ideas are wrong. If the testicles are not outside the inguinal ring within a few days after birth, they are not going to be; and it may not be possibly to palpate a testicle retained within the inguinal canal.

Heather Cooke
Yearling
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you reached up there to see if you can feel the testicles? My friend has 2 year old that had no sign of them but you could feel them. They would drop down some when he was sedated so he was easy to geld. You might consider having a vet check him out if you really like the colt, they can be out of reach and have to be removed through the flank. Gelding a colt with retained testicles can be quite pricey.

Just because the parents are tall does not mean the foal will be tall and it doesn't mean he was stunted. I bred my 16 hand TB x Quarter horse mare to a 16.3 Oldenburg stallion and the foal barely made it to 15 hands. The mare was pamper before and after foaling, the foal never missed a meal or lacked for any thing. The foal was never poor, she was not stunted, she was built like tank. As a 2 yrs. old (14.1hands) she would trot up to the 4 1/2 foot board fence and hop over it if you didn't bring her in first for dinner. She was a blast to ride, so balanced, you didn't notice she was only 15 hand except when you mount and dismounted. Good things can come in small packages.

Saffron
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 287
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 02:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thankyou everyone...this colt is really really cheap because of these problems and his papers are also extremely good...it is very tempting for me but i will let a vet take a look first, he seems to be healthy and well proportioned only a little bit small but compared to my other colt everything is small, and with the height it is also not a great problem...especially as he is only one and a half!!

Saffron
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 289
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok the owner has made me an unbelievable offer for this colt, she has also said you cant feel the testicles while he is standing!
So apart from being very expensive to castrate and not being able to breed...is there any reason it should be bad for his health?
Can he be a normal sport horse? or are there other problems i should prepare myself for if i do take him anyway as a competition horse?
Thanks for any help

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 225
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saffron, I don't see why you couldn't do whatever you wanted with him after he is gelded. I do know it takes more to geld if the testicle is undecended but it does get done and I believe all is well afterwards :-)

Saffron
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 290
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then for the price i can be happy with a normal sports horse..castrated or not, (not the biggest problem i have already 3 stallions so we are prepared)
But he doesnt HAVE to be castrated does he? then nt decended resticles dont have any health implications do they?
Again thanks for your help I must give her an answer tomorrow!

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 226
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos would probably have a better answer than me, honestly I don't know. I have heard that the undecended testicle can make the stallion more aggressive but that could be a complete myth. Anyone else know?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, there are some very significant health and safety implications with respect to abdominally retained testicle[s].

Health-wise, there is a significantly greater predisposition to testicular cancer, which obviously has extremely negative potential.

From a safety aspect, the abdominally retained testicle, although it will not be producing sperm will be secreting testosterone, so even though he is not (once the descended testicle is unilaterally castrated) fertile, he will still be stallion-like in behaviour, and with some stallions that have a retained testicle, the aggression levels can be significantly higher to the point where the stallion may become a danger to himself (self-mutilation) or others.

I would not intentionally keep an abdominally retained testicle in a stallion. I would have it removed.

Lori Schaich
Neonate
Username: Lschaich

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our stallion didn't drop either testicle until almost 3 yrs of age.
Our paint colt is coming 2 now and has not even begun to drop.

My guess is, this colt will drop normally when he's matured a little more. I wouldn't worry about him.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US