SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

2 year old and weight

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » 2 year old and weight « Previous Next »

Coco Tingler
Neonate
Username: Ladyting

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 01:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question on what's a good feed in the Florida area to get weight on a 2 and half year old Arabian stud colt? I'm feeding him senior pellets right now with free axcess costal hay. Anyone have sugustions?

Thanks

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 380
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well coastal is not known for putting on weight, a good alfalfa mix or timothy may suit your purposes better. Maybe try Omolene 200 to add weight, That and a good worming with Strongid (double dose) and then Strongid 2x daily wormer and Body Builder works great.

Tracy Smith
Weanling
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coco, I breed arabians and have a couple that are hard to keep weight on. What has worked well for me is good quality orchard grass or grass/alfalfa mix and in the winter I supplement with beet pulp and wet cob. I have also used rolled oats with the beet pulp, not as much nutrition but it's a great filler and helps keep the weight on. The beet pulp has been my best find yet!

Laurie A Beltran
Weanling
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coco,
one thing I would like to add about the beet pulp it MUST be soaked good I have also seen horses choke on it! It's a good feed just make sure you soak it well, I'm a Arabian breeder and have known some arabian's that are hard to keep weight on, In my area I use Bermuda/alfalfa mix and I give a suppliment. Have you tried Strategy? That will help..Also I give pellets in the morning it does take time to see the difference but you will!!!!!!!!Hope this helps

Tracy Smith
Weanling

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely Laurie, soak that beet pulp but don't soak too much. I had a friend that thought she could soak the whole 50lb bag in advance and all she got was a bunch of moldy beet pulp. I usually soak what I'm going to use the day before that way it's nice and mushy. Keep us posted Coco, like Laurie said it takes some time before you notice a difference but you will.

Tracy Smith
Weanling

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Laurie, by the way I noticed we both breed Arabians and have about the same number of them. What bloodlines do you have? Always curious with a fellow breeder!

Coco Tingler
Neonate
Username: Ladyting

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 02:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank guys. I've been around horses since I was 7 and I've recently started to collect a couple for breeding- hence my stud colt. I've always had mare's and filly's before and they always seem to stay extreamly easy keepers.

I've heard of the beet pulp before and I will try it.

Thanks again

Laurie A Beltran
Weanling
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 02:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tracy,
I am mostly into the Russian lines...Strong gene pools :-) Although I have had a HARD time trying to find Russian breeder other than the Taylors up in Utah! I have some really old type lines...

The 2 Stallion that were imported from Russia by Howard Kale was Nariandni and Muscat those lines are what my breeding program consists of I just love Nariandni's Eyes (HUGE!) and of course Muscat drop dead gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!! what more can you say about him?? I had the opportunity to visit both of their graves while I was In Utah, I tell you Tracy it gave me goose bumps!!!!!!!!!
So! If you hear of any mares (Russian) for sale let me know.

Take care, LB

PS-What blood lines are you into? Are you going to the Nationals? Scottsdale?

Tracy Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laurie, I live in Washington and actually there are a quite a few Russian arabs out here so I will definitely let you know if I hear of any mares for sale.
My stallion has Khari, Khemosabi, Bey El Bay and Bask bloodlines. Mares are similar with also some Silver Drift, Bey Shah, Stargard. Mostly polish stuff!
I'm not currently showing any of my horses but my plans are for my stallion to do sporthorse. I've ridden dressage my whole life so now that arab sporthorses are getting big it works perfect for me. Russians are good horses for this too!!
I would like to go to Scottsdale just to check it out but we'll have to see. Our house flooded last November and was totaled so we are doing a lot of rebuilding. Vacations have to wait

Maree Ingemi
Neonate
Username: Celtic_arabians

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to see two fellow arabian breeders here. We currently have 4, 3 mares & our stallion. Lines are Bey Shah, Khemosabi, Nabiel, Fadjur & our stallion is Magnum Psyche grandson & his dam line is El Hilal & Blue Spruce Tanzaneer. He's 15'1 at two & we're having the weight thing also.
I feed rice bran once a day to him, he gets a full scoop of strategy at one feeding & the second feeding is a half scoop of rice bran & 3/4 of grain with fatcat. He's picking up weight nicely, I swear by the bran & the fatcat

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US