SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

High concentration/Low Motility

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » High concentration/Low Motility « Previous Next »

Brandon West
Neonate
Username: Reproman

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone with ideas jump in here! I have a stallion that's concentration is usually about 500 M/ml and sometimes gets as high as 679 M/ml. The motility is very low; anywhere from 30% to 50%. We have no problem settling mares to him on farm or shipped. The problem is when we ship. The recieving end always calls and isn't happy because they see all the trash (dead sperm) in the dose. I've had the horse on whole flax seed as well as DynaLode, but it only helps a little. I don't know if he is not shedding sperm cells when he urinates or what. I've tried collecting him 2-3 times per day for 4-5 days and that helps somewhat. It will get his progressive motility up to almost 90% or better. The problem is it drops his concentration to about 70 M/ml and as soon as you go back to collecting him every other day to breed and ship he goes back to the high concentration/low motility again. Obviously some of you are probably saying just keep collecting him frequently, but I have several other stallions and many other horses to deal with and its time consuming. I had someone tell me about a drug that is used as an aid to "clean the repro pipes" on a stud, but cannot find a vet around here that knows anything about it. Any advice would be very welcomed.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no drug that I am aware of that will assist in clearing dead sperm without an ejaculation in the event that you are dealing with an "accumulator" stallion. The only solution is to keep collecting him 2 or 3 times a week to keep the accumulation levels down regarless of the need for the sperm.

30-50% is low, but not what I would call "very" low (although at the 30% end he is getting there...). The chances are that when you are getting down to ~70 x 106 concentration, that is going to give you trouble shipping a quality shipment, so you might want to contemplate fractionation of the ejaculate or centrifugation to increase the concentration (by decrease of the volume).

Sorry no "wonder drug" solution! :-(

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US