SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Help with yearling colt

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Help with yearling colt « Previous Next »

teb (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 194.125.183.70
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right, I have a yearling TB colt to get ready for the sales in October. He is so very immature in some ways, but then he's also very excited around anything that moves. He tried jumping on my older ex racehorse gelding(who is usually a brilliant babysitter), and then the gelding dedcided he was having none of that and ran him through the fence. Have no one to put him out with now. He exhibits strange behavoir I haven't seen in too many colts. When horses pass by his paddock he always gets excited and semen dribbles from his penis. If I try any other company he starts the chomping with mouth but then gets down on his knees in a submissive stance almost like a dog. Feel if he ever got loose he would surley jump any mare/filly in his path. I'm not a novice and have been around many TB colts year after year, but I find this one very odd. Also anyone know of any ways to help him with his hormones. I would love to geld him, but he is a clients horse and he really needs to be whole for the sales. Is there anything out there that could help ease this horses mind?

Laurie Ridgeway
Nursing Foal
Username: Laurie

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might try ponying him off of a gelding, this way he could learn to respect other horses, and still have some social time with them, but you would be in control of the situation and would be able to help keep him from getting injured.

It's so hard getting them ready for sale, you want to wrap them in bubble wrap :-)

My first suggestion would be to let him get his butt kicked by the other gelding, but like I said an injured colt won't bring much at a sale, so my second suggestion would be ponying.

Unless he really is exceptional stallion quality, gelding might be worth considering. He may bring less at auction, but if his hormones aren't in control by October and he makes a complete idiot of himself as a result, he won't bring much anyway.

teb (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 194.125.183.77
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laurie,
Thanks for the advice, Frank is now kicking the colts ass on a daily basis and he has become a humble little man. Frank is very paitent, but when the colt crosses the line, he lets him know about it. I bought Frank for 500euro last year when he was in a terrible state and even my vet suggested we put him down if he wouldn' recover. He told me I would definitely never ride him again. Well one year on and he's raised my only foal after weaning, he teases all the mares, keeps colts in line, and we are doing little showjumping comps in Ireland. He is absolutely priceless!

TX Breeder (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 199.3.209.101
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Frank! Just what the little whipper-snapper needed. Horses like Frank are such a asset to a breeding situation.

I would caution ponying the weanling until he respects other horses. He could easily jump on you while trying to pony him. I figure that you have already considered that they may need to be fed separately in case that Frank is running him off of the feed. (sale coming and all)

teb (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 194.125.182.157
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks TX Breeder,
Actually they get fed seprately. They are out all day together and the colt goes into a pen at night while Frank is in his stable. I ride Frank in the mornings and he does a couple of shows so have to have him looking a bit respectable. The colt is doing so much better and is acting like a normal boy now. We actually have 2 gypsy vanner cob geldings coming tomorrow to be broke so they can stay out at night with him. The more horses he's use to the better. As far as the ponying will go that won't be until late summer. I ponied at the racetrack for a bit when back home so I know all about the jumping up on top of me routine! Never very fun!
I actually have the colt on a bit more feed than my other yearlings as he came to us in pitiful shape, so am always a stickler about everyone getting the right amount. Don't see the point in feeding if your just going to walk away. Takes me longer to feed in the fields, but well worth it.
Thanks
teb

Unregistered guest
Posted From: 199.3.209.177
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those Gypsy Vanners are beautiful horses.

One other thought, make sure that the colt does not get the best of those new geldings. That could set things back a bit.(plus give him that "gamblers attitude").

I would like to see a picture of Frank. He sounds like a true gem.

teb (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 194.125.181.47
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TX Breeder,
I am getting a new digital camera this week, so I will take pics and send them off to you. He is the apple of my eye! I will watch the colt with the cobs. They are the hardiest of horses. I have some other things I could say about them, but this is a clean site!

Unregistered guest
Posted From: 199.3.209.177
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can send those comments with the pictures!

teb (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 194.125.181.146
Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TX Breeder,
Finally got my camera so send me and email and I will send the pics of Frank and my Cobby friends!
Thanks
Terri Berwanger

Unregistered guest
Posted From: 199.3.209.150
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where do I e-mail? I just got a new camera as well. I will figure it out some day soon!

teb (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 194.125.180.29
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can email me at
racenjump@eircom.net
Terri

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US