SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Standing stud for 1st time--mare owner expectations?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Standing stud for 1st time--mare owner expectations? « Previous Next »

JB
Posted From: 67.0.51.109
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wanting to get some advise on how best to manage my first year standing a stallion. We are offering live cover only for this year. We plan offering bookings starting Feb 1st as this is a halter quality stallion and should have nice futurity babies.
I have very specific expectations I want to include in the breeding contract regarding the mare--must have neg coggins, uterine culture, halter broke, etc., but what are the expectations from a mare owner's point of view? I want to make sure I do everything right and preserve a professional image.
In addition, my stallion has a severe front leg injury (He was rescued too late for corrective surgery). Although the vet has cleared him for breeding, I am going to insist that all mares wear breeding hobbles to help prevent him from getting kicked in that leg. I am going to use them on my own mares, but I can imagine that some people would not want them used on their mares. Is this an unreasonable demand to be put into the contract? Has anyone else had experience with breeding an injured stallion?
We are severely limiting his booking to only a few approved mares, so this may not be an issue, but just in case I'm forgetting something, I would like some advise. I would like to breed him AI only, but we are just not set up for that right now. We hope to be by next year.
I just want to make sure I do it all right, the FIRST time.
Any advise?
Thanks!!

Laurie
Posted From: 209.233.215.238
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think there are many stallion owners out there who will allow a mare owner to have any say in how the mare is handled during breeding...hobbles are pretty routine and I've only ran across a few people who were worried about them, however after I explained what they did and showed the mare being able to move with them on...they relaxed their stance...

If you don't have a 'been there done that mare' for him for his first 'lesson' you might consider offering a very reduced rate if you can find someone with a patient, understanding, 'skanky ho' type mare to use as his first mare.

Breeding a maiden stallion to a maiden mare is do-able, but it makes life so much easier if at least one of them knows what they are doing.

JB
Posted From: 12.34.246.4
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for your reply. Eddie's been bred before but from what she said, she didn't teach him anything at all--he lunged at the mare and she just let him go, so lucky me, that's what I have to work with. Luckily, he's a good listener.

I'm selling one of my maiden mares and will hopefully be able to purchase a nice experienced mare by breeding season. That way all I have to worry about is him. Even if I don't luckily I have a mare that seems to be very receptive to him and during teasing will even set up for him although they're seperated by a fence.
I'm glad to hear most people use breeding hobbles. I'm not going to risk Eddie getting hurt just for a stud fee. As it is breeding will be extremely limited and on an approved basis only. I just really would like to see his foals out there in the show.
Thanks again for the advise! :-)

Laurie
Posted From: 209.233.215.238
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since you know he may have a 'lunging' problem you might want to be prepared for his next mare and have an extra handler ready..

I had to breed a Stallion that I had in training once who was just terrible at rushing the mares...I just put to ropes on him, one on either side and had an extra handler and we approached the mare with the stallion in a 'cross tie' situation...he couldn't turn on anyone if he got frustrated and if he rushed forward we could pull him back or down simultaneously (sp) and not have to worry about him swinging around to one side or the other......

We were very quiet and patient with him and by the 3rd session he was absolutely wonderful.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US