SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Would it be okay...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Would it be okay... « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted From: 172.156.249.62
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a stallion who is attached to a particular mare, and I have to keep them stalled or pastured next to eachother all the time. This is getting to be quite a hassle though, and I really need to move the mare. The mare lets a stallion breed her wherever, whenever (she's quiet the slut), but she can't concieve. Would it be okay to pasture them together, and just let them "breed" since he can't get her pregnant?

Anonymous
Posted From: 145.254.116.71
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your stallion needs a good workout to refocus his priorities and some manners taught! Turning him out with the mare is a bad idea, the studish behavior will increase to the point, that he is no longer manageable and be a danger for any handler. Furthermore an infertile mare can carry diseases and those could be spread to your stallion.
The alternative would be to castrate the stallion, then you can turn them out together!

Anonymous
Posted From: 172.136.194.22
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He has manners, and is an all around very well behaved stallion. We show him, trail ride him with other mares, etc. but he's just attached to this one mare.

Sandy
Posted From: 4.227.172.62
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi there,
I can't believe that there are some people out there who are so quick to always tell someone that if their stallion has a certain problem that the "quick fix" is to have them gelded. Stallions are stallions, and horses are horses, they all have their little quirks. If someone told me to just castrate my stallion, just because he is attached to another horse, I'd be a little miffed, to say the least. That is not always an option or a quick fix for that matter.

I think it's great that your stallion has a buddy, even if it is a mare. All horses are social animals and need a friend.

I also have a mare that for some reason will not conceive, but she does let a stallion breed her when she is in heat. I do let my stallion run with her in the pasture, and I have not had a problem with them at all. My stallion is also a very well behaved and well mannered guy, and the only time he ever attempts to breed her is when she will let him. Now, I must also add that my mare is not an aggressive mare in any way, and she does not kick him when he does make advances toward her when she is not in heat. But he has seemed to have learned when she is not receptive, and he doesn't even attempt to mount her when she is not in heat. The most he will do is sniff and nicker. She will pin her ears and swish her tail and he then just walks away.

To the person who is so quick to tell this other person with the stallion to castrate him: I do not recall this person saying that her stallion has excessive studdish behavior, but you are telling the person that their stallion's "studdish behavior will increase to the point that he is no longer manageable."
It would be nice that before people give advice on this board, they would clearly read what the person asking the question has written.

Velma Moore
Posted From: 4.226.231.91
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'am new to posting on this board but I read it all the time. I also believe that people should not be so quick to judge a stud not all studs are bad. and a stud needs a buddy the same as anyother horse and just because it is running with a mare doesn't mean that he will become unmanageable. and just because she can't conceive doesn't mean that she has a diease or infection. I also Have a stallion and he gets along with all my mares and colts and he is very manageable not a mean bone in his body. All animals need some kind of a buddy the same as people do. just like the post above please read the question before you answer and not be judgemental sorry just my two cents worth.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US