SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Waiting Game

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Waiting Game « Previous Next »

Jay
Posted From: 68.61.157.194
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To spare the unimportant details - I was more or less given a horse. I have been involved with/owned horses for over 15 years. This guys is still intact - and would be my first stallion.
He is a doll, has excellent bloodlines, and is off to the trainer in December for 120.

However, due to his previous situation, he has not quite blossomed. He is an April 01 baby - and to look at him, you can see that he has not grown fully. He was more or less neglected via ignorance. He looks much younger/smaller than your average 3 y/o QH (and especially considering his breeding). He did recently hit a growth spurt as late as August, though - shooting up about 4 inches.

The vet that checked him before his coming home said get him on some good feed and he should still grow. Our usual vet has said he could, but don't hold your breath. Trainer says geld him now, it'll be easier on all of us that way.
He is kept with geldings right now, was kept with mares before we got him. Has never so much as called to a mare let alone shown any interest in breeding. The most popular opinion on that is that he hasn't hit puberty yet. I realize some mature slowly, but he's 3 1/2.

He's got excellent conformation (although a little lanky from his growth spurt) and his bloodlines are top notch, and he's homozygous black to boot. I really think if he could rebound from his not so great start that he has awesome potential. But how long do I wait for signs of that rebound?

Also - I am seriously considering trainer's advice to geld in the very near immediate future. But while lovin on him today I happened to notice that his "boys" weren't visible. And while he is getting really good about his handling, I didn't want to stick my head or hands all that much closer to check it out. Could he be sucking up this late? Can he still be gelded this way (would it have to be done similar as a crypt gelding)?

I know that a good stallion can make a great gelding, but this guy is just awesome. I did not physically get him "home" until about 3 weeks ago, but I have been working with him for a few months. Once we got him, over the summer (before his growth spurt) he looked really nice and was finally starting to gain the weight he should've had all along.

I do plan on discussing things at great lengths with his vet - but I'd been thinking quite a bit about this today having talked to the trainer (and it's sat)- and if I do decide to geld I realize it has to be rather quickly so that he can heal before training.

I know for him to rebound (gelded or not)it's going to take a considerable amount of time - more than a few months - should I wait until after training and reevaluate the situation (would be the beginning of April)? I guess I feel a bit pressured to make the decision now and am just curious to see what others think.

Thanks =)

Eagle View Arabians
Posted From: 64.12.116.22
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 01:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jay, if he has a good attitude and you can work with him easily, I don't see why you have to rush to make any kind of decision. I would go ahead and send him to the trainer's. You could always geld him later if you feel it's neccessary. Don't feel pressured to do anything you are not comfortable with. Yes, geldings are easier to deal with and I know most trainers prefer them even over mares but if your gut is saying "lets wait and see" I would.

Jay
Posted From: 68.61.157.194
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi. Thanks for the encouragement. He has an outstanding attitude - best one I've seen yet, and I was convinced my last stallion couldn't be beat.
Honestly, he's not any kind of inconvenience for me - there's no boarding problems, not many mares on the property, spending a day with him, you wouldn't know he's still a stallion.
When I contacted the trainer, she said his being a stallion was fine, no big deal. So that's what we're going with. His being a stallion is just fine.
=)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US