SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Cryptorchid

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Cryptorchid « Previous Next »

z
Posted From: 65.54.98.172
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have read many posts that say that stallions sometimes need til 3 years of age to drop both testicals.
How many of you have had that happen?How many of you are still waiting?
We have a colt that was just 2 ( he was a late summer baby) and we are thrilled with him. He is MORE than we ever expected and we plan to keep him intact, however, we are STILL waiting for the "missing part". We have been told that his late birth may be making his development late.hmmm
Any input on any stallions you all have that have never fully descended and are using at stud, or had late dropping stallions would be appreciated. I have learned alot from this forum and respectfully request your opinions. Thanks!

Sandy
Posted From: 4.228.252.144
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 27 month old colt whose second testicle is "there", but definitely not as much as his other one.
I was told by my vet that there are stallions who are late bloomers, and he feels that is what is going on with my colt.
When he was 4 months old the vet had said that he did have both testicles and they were down. But, he obviously sucked one back up and I was worried sick. I had spent a lot of money on this colt as a future stallion and the thought that he would have to be gelded just didn't sit too swell with me. So, I waited it out. I also did find out that his sire didn't drop until he was around 2 and a half years.
I did breed one mare to this colt this year. The first time we bred her she did not settle. But on the second try, she did. I had her palpated at 40 days and she was confirmed in foal.
Can you feel anything at all in your colt? You may have to really dig in there to feel something. I was checking my colt every single day for probably a year! There were some days I could feel something pretty high up, and other days there was nothing. But it was enough to keep my hopes up. The testicle is clearly in the scrotum now when I feel it, but when you look under him to try to see it, all you can see is one.
I'm hoping by next summer I will be able to SEE both of them.

Deborah Corff
Neonate
Username: Horseofcorff

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Sandy. On the colt with the testicle that was there and then sucked back up, did you use the vaccination for West Nile Virus on him before that happened. Just curious. A lot of breeders around here noticed that with the Fort Dodge vaccine. I had a colt who had two and sucked BOTH of them back up. By three he still had nothing. We sold him cheap so that they could cover the extra cost for the gelding.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10349
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A testicle cannot be "sucked back up" once the inguinal ring is closed - and that happens within a few days of birth at latest. In other words, after about a week, once down always down. The testicles may be held tighter to the abdomen where they cannot be easily palpated (especially by a lay person), but they are there!

Hence... your colt either was a cryptorchid from birth, or you sold him cheaper than you ought to have!!! Maybe you have a case against the people who are erroneously reporting a link to WNV vaccine use!!! :-)

Anonymous

Posted From: 24.93.127.168
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just bought a 7 month old with obvious male looks already and yet could not find the testicles when we palpated. Does it take a vet's knowledge? Is it possible he's a bilateral cryptorchid and still looking masculine? My other question is: If his testicles have NOT descended, does he have to be gelded or can we just leave him a stallion? He is at this point extremely good natured and manageable but of course he hasn't hit puberty! Thanks for the advise in advance!

Gynna Meiller
Weanling
Username: Jw_kings_excalibur

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 08:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some colts dont drop until they are two or three and some are born with them decended. If its cold they tend to tuck them away. If he has not had proper nutrition this can cause them to delay in droping too. If you are concerned then by all means have your vet check at least it will put your mind at ease.

anonymous (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 24.93.127.168
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gynna,

The vets coming to check today! I'll let you know!

Gynna Meiller
Weanling
Username: Jw_kings_excalibur

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be waiting for the verdict. I sure hope all is well.

Anonymous

Posted From: 207.69.138.135
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a yearling who is a bilateral cryptorchid. For the past several months we have been doing IV HCG treatments every three to four weeks. Has anyone had any luck with this treatment? If so, how long did you continue it and at what dosage? I've also read that the feed through supplement Evitex might provide some benefits as well?

J.R.Hamilton
Weanling
Username: Cobbreeder

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 08:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of them don't drop regardless of what you do and you have to wonder; because they are retained in the body cavity for so long as in 2-3 yr old colts... will they actually have a sperm count worth keeping a a stallionz??.... there's a reason they are in a sac.. , even though in older weather they do keep them closer to the body.
Number, motility, and formation also have to be considered when thinking of keeping a colt a stallion.... if they have been a cypt for a long while, then finally drop 1 or both.. testing would be paramount.

The other question that has to be asked ..if a crypt.. are they really up there , if they are are they formed correctly and if he just drops 1 with all your efforts... this is I believe a genetic issue ( a true crypt) and the colt in question could pass this undesirable characteristic to his offspring.

Sandy D
Breeding Stock
Username: Sbr_appaloosas

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Deborah,
Yes, my colt had the WNV vaccine. But I honestly don't believe that had anything to do with him not letting down his second testicle until older.
This year as a 3 year old, he definitely had both testicles in the scrotum and the one that he kept holding up high is just as big as the other one.
We unfortunately lost this stallion to colic in Sept. of this year, but he did settle 4 mares this summer and all on one cycle. And 2 of those mares were maiden.
My learning experience from this has been...that if a vet can palpate both testicles in a young colt, and they are outside the inguinal ring, just have patience..they should appear in the scrotum eventually.

Terri Berwanger
Weanling
Username: Terrib

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just had my yearling colt checked by my vet because I can only see one testicle. He confirmed this and said most likely he is a rig. It doesn't matter because he is going to be gelded, but what is the protocol on this. Also his other testicle is a bit smaller than it should be for his size, but would be normal for his age?
Before we go into unproper nutrition, this colt has had nothing but the best of everything since the day he was born. He is 10montsh, 15.1, and 750pds. He has no issues with joint problems as I have been extremely careful with this. He is on a very low startch diet, and high in fat. He is not heavy and not skinny, he's just right with the most glossy beautiful winter coat. So I don't think it's a nutrition problem. Mom is a 16.3 TB and Dad is a 17hand Dutch Stallion. Any other things that could have caused this?

Deena
Breeding Stock
Username: Morganslil1

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 01:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terri cowboy didnt drop his other til he was 2 yr old. And yes they can be guilded if they only have one dropped but its a bit more expensive.

Terri Berwanger
Weanling

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Deena

E Watkins
Weanling
Username: Evie

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deena,

I've had two colts in the last year ( a yearling and a two year old ) that appeared to have not dropped, once they were put to sleep and rolled over, both of them resulted in normal castration. If they are a true cryto, most vets won't do the castration and there are some hospitals that will charge you a higher fee regardless of what they find. I was fortunate that the hospital I went to (K State) was honest with me and charged only the normal $80 fee rather than the $500 I was expecting to pay when they took Romeo back for surgery. The head vet there told me that there actually are very few true crytpo horses, often the 2nd testicle is just up high and not easily located. (the second horse I bought had one down, he was the yearling) I had him put to sleep at our house by our usual vet, once he was asleep, it took a little more effort than the usual castration, but the 2nd testicle was found and he was able to geld him with no trouble. In the future, I'll always have our local vet try this first, it saved me a lot of driving and expense. I know it won't always be the case, but I trust the vet at K State, he's certainly had more experience than I have. It might be worth your while to have your vet at least give the horse a look and see what he can find when he's relaxed and more easily examined. Good Luck

Ev

Terri Berwanger
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E
Thanks for this information. I think we will be waiting til the spring and I will pass this info on to him.My vet is very good and I trust him completely and I always tell him things I have found out on various boards and he always listens. He calls me his most demanding customer!
Thanks!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US