SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

2 year old stallion not breeding

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » 2 year old stallion not breeding « Previous Next »

JJJ
Posted From: 66.163.155.31
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 2 year old stallion is interested in my 2 year old mares, they are cycling but he only mounts them and does not breed them. How can I get him to breed these mares that are in heat? Is there such a thing as a hormone shot for stallions to get them to perform better?

wendy
Posted From: 206.222.195.79
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wondering why you would want to breed a 2 year old filly? I'm not sure what breed your horses are, but breeding at 2 seems aweful young to me. Also, depending on your stallion's actually birthday he may also be to immature to breed. If you really want your stallion to 'learn the ropes' I would try getting an older mare who knows the ropes she should be able to show him the way.

Sandy
Posted From: 4.227.172.13
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JJJ:
I would agree with Wendy, I would not be breeding 2 year old fillies!
I also have a 2 year old stud colt this year, and at first he was quite clueless on breeding. He would mount the mare without an erection and I thought he would never get it right.
But I put him with one of my seasoned mares while she was in heat, just in a corral one on one with each other.... and within a day's time, he was breeding her without any problems. She didn't settle, and I don't know if it was because it was her transition heat or if it is because he is too immature yet. I have since bred him to a different mare on a normal cycle and I'm currently waiting to see if she comes back into heat.
Putting a young stud with a seasoned older mare is the best thing you can do...she will teach him the ropes.
As for a hormone shot, it doesn't sound like that is what your colt needs. Because obviously his hormones are in working order if he is mounting mares. He just needs time to learn what it is that he's supposed to be doing.
I'm actually surprised that a 2 year old filly would let him mount them at all! I have a 2 year old filly that when she is in heat, she won't let my stud colt near her...of course when I see that she's coming into heat, I immediately put her in the barn where the colt can't breed her.
Just try an older mare...I think that might solve your problem.
Good luck.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US