SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

4 yr.old won't breed!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » 4 yr.old won't breed!! « Previous Next »

Crystal Jaime
Neonate
Username: Crazycowgirl2

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 4 yr. old paint stud. I tried to breed him last year, with no sucess. Here's some info. on him...He was born and raised here, he's from my dads mare and stud. He has been pastured with his dam, sire(now a gelding) and 7 geldings for his whole life. His dam has always been in foal, so I never separated him, and his sire would never let him get to close to her. I never worried cause he doesn't show alot of interest in mares, and no interest towards his dam.
He is so quiet, and nice. You would never know he was a stud. He was broke to ride and drive as a 2 yr. old. I trail ride and team pen on him and he's so well behaved, no screaming, or agression. I can ride around mares w/ no problem. Is he too young and immature still? Did I do something wrong?
I sent him away for a few months for reining training. I was hoping he would come back more studly.. He his not pastured with anyone any more. I'm hoping this may help. I think he is not very confident, he is kinda timid.
He shows interest for a very short period of time towards mare, he's kinda like a little kid, finds other things more interesting. Are there any tricks or ideas to bring his libido up? I tried hand breeding him and pasture breeding. Hand breeding was awful, he just stood there w/ his head facing away from the mare. Any answers would be great. Thanks alot.}}

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would guess being turned out with a pregnant mare and his father sort of took him manhood away from him.

Colleen Beck
Weanling
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He needs to be away from his sire, who I assume is the leader of their little herd. The dominant stallion (even tho he's a gelding now) will not allow him to assert his "manhood". He will need some time alone, maybe alongside some strange horses that are not dominant, to feel confident enough to express his masculinity. I assume he is fully descended?

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock
Username: Horselady

Post Number: 261
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a just turned 2 year old paint stud that is the opposite. He would breed the gelding beside him, the foal on the other side, the pregnant mare and foal across the pasture, the fence post, the dog, and pot bellied pig... well you get the idea. He has always been pastured by himself, never been in a herd except when he was a weanling. I don't know if that makes any difference, but I can see how he would lose interest in asserting his stud position with another stallion in the pasture to compete with. I think in the wild, natural herd instinct the more aggressive stallion would have run him off the pasture.

Crystal Jaime
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to all of you for your ideas on whats going on. I have a feeling I really messed up by leaving him in the herd w/ mom and dad. Now I hope I can reverse what I have done and get his confidence back. He has been gone for training for about 2 months and now he stays in a stall. He gets outside time for a few hours, w/ my sons POA gelding. But is still pastured next to his sire and dam. Should I move him somewhere he can't see or touch them over the fence? Can his sire still affect him over the fence? Any type of info. or ideas would help me greatly.

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 08:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes move him do not let them even close.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would be well advised to give him his own "harem", by placing him in a a paddock immediately next to a mare (or group of mares) but not in sight of another stallion (or his sire even though he's a gelding now). By creating this harem arrangement, you may well see an increase in libido - but remember, some stallions do not have good libido.

There is other discussion on this arrangement elsewhere on this board if you go do a search for "harem" you should come up with it.

Crystal Jaime
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have access to any mares for a 'harem"! I only have one mare and thats his dam. And the rest are all geldings. And my pastures are all next to each other. So I guess I will have to leave him in a stall. And he can go in the round pen for a few hours when the foot of snow melts later this week!
If I do find some mares I can borrow I should just pasture him next to them?? And when they are in heat let him join them?
Please keep the suggestions up. I need all the info I can get.

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 984
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He has learned manners fro his mother and father and now doesnt ralize he is a stud, he needs a real boy crazy mare to show him how to be interested! if you can borrow a mare or two or let him visit a friend or neighbors herd for a while that would be good, he needs to build confidece and realize hes a man by being with the girls...or hell never know what breeding is if he never has a chance to try it out! man thats too bad...well good luck on "teaching" him to be a man!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't necessarily run the mares with the colt - I do not like pasture breeding as I have seen some major accidents associated with the practice - but I would run the mares in the next pasture immediately adjacent to the colt. As I say, if you do a search on this board for "harem" you will find an illustrated discussion that I have had previously.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US