SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Why isnt my stallion wanting anything to do with mares in heat? PLEASE HELP!!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Why isnt my stallion wanting anything to do with mares in heat? PLEASE HELP!!! « Previous Next »

mandy ferguson
Neonate
Username: Mandy775

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok I am so stressed. I have a 2yr old stallion that is not showing any sign of being ready to breed why is this? He has been in with a mare thats in heat to the fullest and he isnt interested. He would rather graze or go lay down. Can you please help me... If you have any info i would appreciate it. He acted as if he was ready about a month ago and was trying to hump a yearling so I took him away from her, but he doesnt want anything to do with a mare in heat can you explain to me what might be going on? thanks

Jenni Luttrell
Yearling
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 01:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have both testicles dropped? It is more than likely just his hormones fluctuating. I would say its totally normal as i've had several colts and none became really interested full time till about their 3rd birthday. So altho he can inpregnate a mare if he breeds the hormone level may just be at a low point.. Growing boys is what i'd call it unless it continues past age 3.

cathy Cook
Yearling
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 07:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you sure the mare is in fact in heat or is she transitional? Sometimes the boys are smarter than us!

Colleen Beck
Nursing Foal
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would vote with Jenni - hormone fluctuations. Our stallion was hot and cold throughout his two-year-old year. He liked some mares better than others. He was also "humping" my gelding like no tomorrow. However, when he turned three, he became quite the stud muffin. He talks to his girls and settled 5 out of 5 last spring. Now that spring is starting again - he is REALLY into the whole stallion thing. Give him some time. We thought our stallion was a limp biscuit at two, but he's perfectly normal now. Good luck!

Colleen

Dianne Edwards
Yearling
Username: Mamaedwards

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was he raised with this mare, a friend had a 2yr old colt raised with 3 mares which he showed no interest in, but when I put my 2 mares in the pasture next to them he suddenly became interested. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember that a 2-yo colt (he's not a stallion yet!) is still VERY young! It's a bit like asking a 10-yo boy to do the same thing - some might be capable, but most are either not capable or very intimidated at the prospect! :-)

Overbreeding (or forcing) young colts can be very detrimental to their future breeding careers. It can discourage them, and I even know of young colts that were bred too much as a 2-yo that refused to breed at 3-yo and up!

I'd feel strongly inclined to give him some time to mature!!!! It's your future investment that you're trying to force here... :-(

Crystal Gerszewski
Neonate
Username: Dougcrystal

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been having the same problem with my 2 yr old appaloosa colt. He was very interested and bred 2 mares about 2 weeks ago and now he's having libido problems. I'm sure his hormones are fluncuating and I have a few other ideas for you.

Putting them in a stall next to mares or a pasture will get them to notice the signs but tease them at the same time...The I want it but I can't have it feeling.

Another is.....Have you been working him? If a stud gets worked too hard they may not have any ambition to breed if they are worn out. The days that they get bred, they shoudl not be worked hard.

Also are you the handler? Cause using someone else to handle him may help also, since he probably associates you with discipline.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US