SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

When do testes descend?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » When do testes descend? « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a friend with a 10 month old pinto warmblood colt that she is considering keeping as a breeding stallion, assuming he passes at inspection. I am concerned though because at this time he only appears to have one testicle. Shouldn't they both be descended by now? What is the normal time frame for them to drop? Should it happen at the same time?

kimk
Posted From: 12.96.250.250
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

normally a colt will have both testicles by the time they are 10 months to a year old. Now it is not uncommon for the second one to be a bit higher than the other. but you should be able to feel for them both. Alot of times they will draw them up if they are nervous or scared but you should still be able to feel for them

Bobby Ann Abbott
Neonate
Username: Baskmidnightshadow

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Paint TB stud colt didn't completely drop his second testicle until he was about 2-1/2 and I had one at work that didn't drop the second one until he was three. So time is what they need.

teb (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 194.125.180.129
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 5 month old colt only has one testicle dropped at the moment. Haven't tried feeling for the second one as I don't know what to feel for. I feel a right dumb ass on this one as have been around horses all my life, but haven't felt for any testicles. Anyway, been reading that it could take until he is 2 for it to drop. This isn't an ideal situation as he is out with a filly who is 3 months. She recently lost her mother. Thing is they will probably grow up together and I was planning on gelding him in the fall or spring. He has no studish tendencies at the moment. Any advice. Also if I geld him in the fall, if the 2nd testicle drops, will he less masculine? My first colt, not sure of the protocols here!
thanks
teb

em (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.50.234.38
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 09:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a welsh colt that at two still had not dropped his second testy, we had him operated on by the vet, from what i understand the testies have to come down through a ring and sometimes only one comes down while the other gets stuck, when the vet operates he has to 'fish' the second one out and pull it down through the ring ... the pony healed up as normal. It cost double the price of normal gelding but it was a reliefe to have it done.

AG
Weanling
Username: Tilly

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If their testes are descended fully at 2 1/2 months, (I dont know if this is early or not) can this be an indication that they may reach sexual maturity earlier than others?

Deena
Breeding Stock
Username: Morganslil1

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 07:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Teb I dont know if its of any help but cowboy didnt drop his other marble til he was 2 and even then it was tiny and really high up.Ag I have no clue but I would imagine that they may mature early.Deena

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US