SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

New user w/Problem

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » New user w/Problem « Previous Next »

Lisa D.
Neonate
Username: Lisa_d

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everybody,
I am a new user to this site and I have searched everywhere on this site but I cant find anything that might help me so here is my problem......
I bought a new 2 yr old miniature stud colt in February last year, and just this winter he has come up with little scabs on the back of his legs just above his hocks. Well at first I thought it was Mud Fever/Scratches but isnt it too high??? Well now he has rubbed off all the hair on his rear end, and now he is starting to rub off hair on his chest too.
Its deep winter in Minnesota and he has a nice thick winter coat, But any information or thoughts are welcomed!!!
Thank you
Lisa
P.S I might post pictures of the little bugger soon so you can take a peek.

Teena Bain
Weanling
Username: Bluejay

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parasites? Dry skin? Diet? These are some things I would be looking at if this happened to one of mine.. Is this maybe a harder winter this year where you are.. Sure has been in Oregon..

Lisa D.
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know Im ready for spring this whole past week the highest it has gotten is 10 degrees lol.Well we dusted him with mite/flea powder and it didnt help much, but I now would like to know what I could use for dry skin, because it is winter I can't give him a bath, so any homemade recipies would be wonderful.
Thanks
Lis

Teena Bain
Weanling
Username: Bluejay

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 05:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could add some oil to his diet. Have to be a little careful you do not end up with a butter ball .. This can help from the inside out. I am doing this with my stallion right now because he always has a fine white dust on him.. I am giving him 2oz DAC oil a day...

There are several choices if you wanted to try that. Will not hurt him either way.. Corn Oil (get that at the groc store can be generic), wheat germ oil, flax oil, rice oil. I would not give more then 1/4 cup to start.. Like I said he could get FAT on this..

I like the the DAC the best.. Wheat Germ would be my second choice.. Corn oil is often used to put weight on all kinds of animals. All these can help his coat and shin.

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock
Username: Horselady

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Teena; When my colt came up to Canada from Indiana he also had an itch problem. He didnt rub off any hair, but he was sooo itchy I could see it was driving him nuts. I added Energy Glo to his diet, he was also a little underweight, and dusted him for lice etc. He always has had an itchy skin thing going on so I have kept adding oil to his diet for the past year. The energy glo was just an ounce or so twice a day, and the oil he gets now is the same, about 2 ounces a day though not the Energy Glo since he doesnt need to extra calories or the Energy that goes along with it. I found that this helped with the Itchies and also gives him a nice shine to his coat in summer, and an excellent thick healthy coat in winter.

Deb.

Lisa D.
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you both!
Because we just got him, and the place we got him from just pulled him out of the pasture. So it took us a while to desensitize him to us. Well now he has gotten much better and I have broke him to drive. But he developed it really fast and I couldnt find anything to treat it with, so thank you for both of your suggestions.
Oh Deb, where could I find Energy Glo? Because he is a little skinny,( I live in minnesota) I have been worming the bogers out of
him, but because he is a mini we have to be careful with what we use.
lis

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 209
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.tizwhizfeeds.com/products/energyglo.shtml -
Tizwhiz® Horse Feeds: Energy Glo

Oil formulated to promote more usable energy utilization through the combination of the finest "All Natural" oils available.

Natural vitamins are blended with the mix of five natural oils to improve energy, improve hair coat, increase natural healing process, improve reproductive and increase enzyme function.

Guaranteed Analysis
Triglyceride (Crude Fat) . . . . . . . . . . . Min. 97.0%
Total Fatty Acid . . . . . . . . . . . Min. 93.0%
Moisture . . . . . . . . . . . Max. 0.1%
Impurities . . . . . . . . . . . Max. 0.1%
Unsaponifiables . . . . . . . . . . . Max. 0.2%
Free Fatty Acid . . . . . . . . . . . Max. 1.0%
M. E. Energy . . . . . . . . . . . 3,963 kcal per pound
Digestibility . . . . . . . . . . . 95%

Feeding Directions
Pleasure Horses
1 to 2 ounces per head per day
Intended function for pleasure horses: improvement of hair coat.
Performance Horses
2 to 6 ounces per head per day
Intended function for performance horses: more energy and improvement of hair coat.

DO NOT FEED TO SHEEP OR RELATED SPECIES.

Lisa: Energy Glo is a product put out by TizWhiz Feeds. I have pasted the link to you above. You can read all about it there, or if that doesnt work, type in Energy Glo into Google and find it there.

Deb

melissarainey
Neonate
Username: Minnie8827

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had terrible trouble with TizWhiz products. My horses broke out and stopped eating it all together. My vet put them on ADM products which I liked so much I became a dealer. I use and suggest Natural Glo. It is stablized rice bran and I feed it to all my horses. My breeding stallions, prego mares, show horses and young stock. I feed a lot less grain, their coats are shiney and nice ( I don't feed oil it coats their stomach IMO) and I haven't had a sand problem since I started feeding it. Check out their website ADM.com I think. It costs about 28.00 a 40 pound bag but it is worth every penny.

Lori Coleman
Nursing Foal
Username: Editorlady

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lisa, A similar Minnesota-based product is EquiJewel. Made by Kentucky Equine Research/Assurance Feeds, based in Castle Rock (near Northfield). http://www.assurancefeed.com/equi.shtml
NaturalGlo is another similar product.

Lori Coleman
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not a big fan of TizWhiz products either. I do like the Kentucky Equine Research and Assurance Feeds products alot.

Lisa D.
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK well thank you, but I am trying to post pictures of him, I am not into the whole computer thing yet but im getting there lol. So do any of you guys have foals coming??? This little stud will be a daddy in June to my show mare, I am just getting used to the waiting game.lol. I found this site and I want a baby now! lol Well we get a special mix from our local feed store.(Isanti) (for lori) lol and we have psylium mixed in with it because we have alot of sand. But how do I find out if he isnt getting certain minerals? Just wondering, I am happy with our feed but is there a test, or somthing?
lis

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 212
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lisa:

everyone has their favorite grains, feeds etc. I have tried others before TizWhiz and for me, and for my horses, I like it the best. If you have questions about supplements etc., it is best to speak with your vet as to what you might need to add for your climate/location. The little stud colt I brought up from Indiana was sure nothing special to look at a year ago

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/canadianhorselady/woodyfrontjune2005Small.jp g

and him a mere year later, June of 2006

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/canadianhorselady/1595BurnettBanner1Small-1. jpg

Woody won 16 Ribbons, 5 Firsts, 7 seconds, and 4 Reserve Grand Championship placings, as well as Halter Stallion of the Year and Yearling Longe Line, All within 6 months of me bringing him up to Canada from Indiana.

Deb.

Lori Coleman
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right, Debbie, everyone has their favorites. I just mentioned what I buy because of the MN location. Your colt has done just awesome--what a cutie!

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 214
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Lori: Hes a bit of a fart, but boys will be boys. :-)

Deb

Lisa D.
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He sure is pretty! Is he a cremello or a perlino? (sorry im new to this)Whats the difference?lol
lis

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 216
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lisa:

QT Hollywood Deuce (Woody) is Perlino, which is a black based horse - Bay to Buckskin to Perlino. He is double dilute, which means he will always throw a creme gene along with a black or red gene.

A Cremello is a red gened horse - sorrel or chestnut to palomino to cremello. No black gene in this genetic makeup.

Perlinos are usually a bit darker in color than the cremellos, and their manes and tails are also a bit darker than the body color. Cremellos are usually the same color between mane and tail and body color.

Both have blue eyes and sometimes it is hard to tell the difference unless they are genetically tested.

Here is a head shot of him taken this past summer when he was 16 months old.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/canadianhorselady/woodysho8x10edited2Small.j pg

It took me a while to get used to the blue eyes, but now I find them very attractive and unique.

Deb.

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 403
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Debbie, I'm with you on the TizWhiz. Great stuff. Was sold on it when a friend who has a breeding farm began using it in the early 90's.

Unfortunately, I can't get it down here anymore..so I am using the TDI (made by Dr. Tiznicks former business partner)....which is pretty much the same. Had to pull strings, arm & legs to get it...but, well worth it.
Started using it when I saw a complete cesation of DOD's in the foals on the farms after starting the product. Leading research from multiple universities confirmed findings of the feed.
Granted, some horses have palatability issues with it...but, they do get over it.
The growth and stability of the foals who've been on it...IME surpass the field.

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 218
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bummer on not being able to get it down there Heather. I know we can't take feed, even hay across the border into the states when we show our horses, so I wouldnt be able to get any down to you either :P I agree with your impressions of TizWhiz. It works for me and my horses love it. I couldnt ask for more.

But, that said, I am sure there are some issues with some horses, so its up to all of us to keep looking at all the feeds available out there to find the one that works best for our horses.

I have also researched the nutritional findings of the feed and find it above and beyond everything else available up here in Canada.

Deb

Jenni Luttrell
Neonate
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When it gets warm enough for a bath a tea tree based shampoo is reaaly good. Its a natural atiseptic. Makes the coat shine too.
To keep sand out of your feed pans and mangers try tacking a piece of screen about an inch from the bottom. The majority of the sand should fall throu.

Lisa D.
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well we found out what the problem was!!! Him and his pasture gelding like to romp and play alot, well they spin and bite each other to the point where they pull the hair out,lol well now they are seperated(and pouting)and the hair is growing back nicely,lol boys will be boys.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US