SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Purchasing a stallion

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Purchasing a stallion « Previous Next »

Mary Anne Finley
Neonate
Username: Ccranch

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am looking at purchasing a 10 year old stallion for breeding purposes. I am going to get a fertility evaluation done, a coggins test and a soundness test done. Is there anything else I would want done before I give the go ahead.

J.R.Hamilton
Yearling
Username: Cobbreeder

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are purchasing from Overseas they have to be swab tested for a few diseases, including an Equine venereal disease... I'd run a check and see what else should be done.Culture on the semen as well as fertility , and if not a TB ... I'd pay for cooled and frozen samples and viability.

Mary Anne Finley
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks ... The stallion is in the same country as me. The coggins should include the equine verneral disease but I will make sure it does.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 03:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might want to check for EVA antibody levels in the blood, and if elevated perform a virus isolation check of the semen. the Coggin's test will only check for EIA, not other viruses. Also review the previous years breeding statistics (i.e. pregnancy rates) in addition to a full fertility evaluation (breeding soundness and prepurchase examination).

Mary Anne Finley
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos

I'll add that to the list.

Thanks for the help
Mary Anne

Hope Parr
Weanling
Username: Hope26us

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think it was mentioned but you may want have them collect him and see how it does after 24,36 and 72 hours
this will give you a base to work with on shipped semen, if you decide to ship that is.

Hope Parr
Weanling
Username: Hope26us

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW we have a 5 yr old friesian stallion who we stud out, motility after 24 hours is my biggest concern with him - its a good thing to know prior to buying a stallion, it took some testing but we finally got a good system down for him so he is lasting longer.

here is my big handsime guy
http://www.avalanchefriesians.com/hedzer/keuring/image20.html

Jenni Luttrell
Yearling
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 03:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary - when all the test come back you still want to purchase him do some checking into how and who handles him. I had a friend who bought a beautiful stallion who was a gentleman for the previous owner and when he was there. she got him home to discover he hated women. Her husband was the only one that could do anything with him. It took 6 months and some serious training before she could handle him confidently. A stallion with a bad attitude can be a real set back if your not prepared or willing to handle it
Dont get me wrong I'm not saying all stallions have a bad attitude because they dont. Some are very sweet. Its just some food for thought.

Jenni Luttrell
Yearling
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 03:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope - Your boy is gorgous!!!!!!!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US