SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

I have a Gelding Question

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » I have a Gelding Question « Previous Next »

RACHELLE ANDERSON
Neonate
Username: Cedararanch

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, I was wondering how do you clean a gelding's sheath out? We have a couple of geldings & one of them has a swollen sheath & it's never been cleaned out before & I think it's time. What do I need to clean it with & how do I go about cleaning it? Thanks in advance!

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 682
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

little late but ill answer any how.
using a gloved hand and warm water with a mild soap (tea tree soap or even baby shampoo). carefully reach your hand inside the sheath pulling down all the gunk you find. After you get the majority out -making sure you get all the way up to where he actually keeps his penis- take a sponge and clean out as far as you can reach. Then if possible get him to drop out his penis give it a quick cleaning with the sponge and rince with warm clean water. be sure to rinse the inside of the sheath with warm clean water as well. I use a clean sponge to do this so im sure to get it rinsed well.

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 539
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's also a product out called Excalibur that you can use or plain mineral oil. Be careful not to get kicked as some do not appreciate us handling their "privates"!

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 683
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tracy does excalibur disenfect like tee tree? ive never used it before.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 540
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 02:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it may even have tea tree oil in it, it's made specifically for cleaning sheaths. I don't have the bottle in front of me but I will check it out for you tomorrow when I'm out at the barn :-)

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 687
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 08:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 548
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 08:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked at the bottle of Excalibur and it did say it had tea tree oil in it but it didn't list any other ingrediants. It's made by Farnam though so it might be on their website.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 701
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok thnx I apreciate it

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kris

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too use excaliber, it also works really well getting the gunk out from between the teats of my mares as well, they really love to be cleaned there. As far as tea tree, yes it does have it in there, but now i hear that vets are not reccomending using stuff with tea tree in it because alot of horses are getting allergies to it and haveing pretty severe reactions... so check into that....
I personally havent had any reactions, and id reccomend excaliber... it softens the black goo really easy and makes it easy to clean, also it has a nice fresh smell that masks the odors of the gunk (smegma) ... make sure you wear a glove ... that stuff STINKS!!!!! and the smell wont come off your hands very easily.
actually... here is a pretty comical but educational description of what/how to do it..
http://jmatt.net/ElecEq/sheath.html

corina gabel
Weanling
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We took our guilding in and they sadated to get his teeth were done, well just took a bucket with us and cleaned him before he came out of it , TWO BIRDS WITH ONE STONE

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 568
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 09:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corina, I did the same thing with my stallion recently. He had his teeth floated and his wolf teeth pulled so while he was nice and woozy we did some sheath cleaning too!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 990
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know when my colt was born in 2003 that was one thing I really wanted him to be desensitized to (He is now a happy gelding :-)) So from day one it was a routine to have himself handled there. So know when it is bath time (He prefers warm bucket water thank you) There is now problem with cleaning.....just a suggestion to all of you awaiting you foals arrival colt or filly do them a favor of getting used to having there private parts touched!

Kris loved the discription!!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 573
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great idea Jan, it makes sense, you touch them everywhere anyway so might as well touch them there!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US