SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Rescue Horse Appears to be Pregnant

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Rescue Horse Appears to be Pregnant « Previous Next »

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 511
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all! I have been on vacation in a world where there is no internet! Can you believe it still exisits? Anyway, I came home after 9 days very anxious to see my horses and look at the new resue mare. I was hoping to see a difference in her, but not expecting much...surprise! I believe she swallowed something inflatable while I was gone. She is still very thin through the back and hips. She has suddenly developed this very large abdomen. Please look at the pics and give me feedback. She has been eating well and I thought she was in season when I got her - frequent urination with a lot of winking which she is still doing two weeks later. In hindsight, it could be caused by pregnancy. I was only around her 5 days before we left for vacation so I have not had a chance to study her too much. She had been on grain for 3 months before I got her. The man rescued her out of a dirt pasture that had a stud in the next pasture so the possibilities are real that she could be bred. She has been eating well and on 24 hour pasture. Could this be a grass belly? She does not have any udder development. She has had at least 3 foals and is 10 years old. Unfortuneatly, I am leaving today for the second half of vacation so I will not be able to really work with her until Friday. She lost her halter and I do not have the time it would take to wrestle her down today...she is not overly friendly. Friday I will catch her and try to feel for movement without getting kicked! I would really appreciate any thoughts. If she is pregnant, what are the possible issues with her poor condition and the effect of and on a foal?
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/Heartbreaker/Frontview06-19-06.j pg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/Heartbreaker/Rearview06-19-06.jp g
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/Heartbreaker/TummyView06-19-06.j pg
Two weeks ago
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/Heartbreaker/SideviewHeartbreake r3.jpg

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock
Username: Raven

Post Number: 403
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathee, imo, looks like you have a foal coming in a few months. Looks like she maybe into her last trimester. Were you able to pick up that oil? If she is pregnant than that will help her and the foal as well. Also give her the best vit and mins you can get that will help with development. I do not think it is a hay belly that she has. Good luck with this adventure
Happy holidays!

Emma
Breeding Stock
Username: Emma

Post Number: 174
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Kathee, I cant believe the how much her belly has changed in two weeks! She has also put on a lot of condition in that short time so you must be doing something right! Good one.
She also looks to me as if she is in foal. Grass belly's generally sit further up but that buldge is sitting further back. She has a nice sheen to her coat so her health must be good. Im sure you are already making sure she is getting all her minerals but just incase you are not then just add a mineral lick to her paddock and then she can help herself. I would suggest to just keep doing what ever it is that you are doing and enjoy you surprise little bundle when it arrives!
Good luck

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 513
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the input. I am sure she is pregnant. I have the vet coming on Friday to start her shots and give me any advice me can. I have included an updated photo and one from the day we got her. There is only 20 days between the pics. I told my husband when we got her that I thought she would fatten up nicely...he thinks I went a little overboard! Who knew feeding a horse would make her pregnant?!

I have done some research now and learned that a foal will make up for lost time when the mare is placed on a proper diet and that they will frequently foal early. Does anyone have experience with this? She has developed a terrific milk vein and has had a slight udder change, but no bag to speak of. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Pic from today - http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/Heartbreaker/Frontview6-26-06.jp g

Pic from 20 days ago - http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/Heartbreaker/SideviewHeartbreake r3.jpg

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock
Username: Raven

Post Number: 404
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OOOOOHHHHH Kathee!!!!! Get ready for round two of foaling!!!!

Dee
Yearling
Username: Dee

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathee, She looks so much better from the first time you got her and put her on this bulletin board!
As to the preg. part, get ready is all I can say.
Oh almost forgot GOOD LUCK!

Emily West
Neonate
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks pregnant to me too. Wow, what a difference in the short time you have had her.

Molly M.
Neonate
Username: Molly

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 08:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,

My friend rescued a malnourished 3 year old from auction last fall. The owner had mentioned there was a possibility the mare was bred last October. My friend was hoping that she was not and felt like the odds were in her favor since the mare's condition was so poor, but took her anyway. Now the mare looks great AND is either getting an awfully nice hay belly, or she is pregnant. At her age she would definitely be a maiden mare. I may be caring for the mare the first week in August and I am sure hoping she does't foal during that time. Are there additional risks to the mare and foal when the mare was in such terrible condition early on?

BTW, isn't it amazing what some groceries can do? When I see that it doesn't take that much effort to put weight on a horse that is skin and bones, it makes me angry at the former owners who couldn't have been feeding the poor thing.

I will see about putting up some pics of Star, who incidentally has no star. lol

Molly

Molly M.
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, let me give this a shot here. Here is a progression of pics of Star, the first in November 2005, the last June 2006. Well, here is a link to the album:
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&uid=5568833&gid=11161606&

Let me know if that works.

Molly

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 518
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Molly - Star looks great. She has become much prettier in her recent photos. She doesn't look tired and unhappy like the first pic. I am with you...it doesn't take much to keep most horses in good condition. Unless a horse is very old, sick or the occasional "hard" keeper, it is the owner's fault when they look like that. That is why I have to make myself go to these auctions where there tends to be so many malnourished horses in one place. I just want to save them all. Unfortunatly, horses are considered livestock here (like cows) and there are few laws protecting them. They can be kept in a 10 X 10 paddock forever as long as they have water. I changed my route to work one time to keep from looking at this poor pony under those conditions. I tried everything to get it removed including asking the people if I could take it off their hands...they said it was their pet. Sorry..I will step of my soap box now!

I really can't tell from the photo if she is preg or not. As a 3 yr old maiden, she will probably keep her first baby really tight so it will be hard to tell without palpating her. Good luck!

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 523
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vet was out today and palpated my rescue mare. He does not think she is in foal. I am disappointed because I had already gotten used to the idea. However, it is definately better for her since she was so poor when I got her. He said she is healthy so I will return to my original plan of finding her a home soon.

Molly M.
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's funny how the idea of a foal takes hold, huh? Last year when we bought our MFT, we had not been looking for a bred mare. But we liked her and bought her anyway, thinking to sell the foal, unless we really liked it. Well, it didn't take me long before I was happily anticipating that raising and keeping that foal. I had made a space in our barn and my heart. I was pretty devastated when she lost twins after having carried them almost to term. I would definitely be hesitant to buy another mare in foal after this incident, unless the sellers assured me that U/S had indicated only one baby!

We gave our mare the year off and now have her bred this year. Hope springs eternal! And U/S indicated a singleton, so we are happy so far.

Molly

Karen Bradffield
Neonate
Username: Horsnround

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 09:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I purchased an older mare - around 19 years old. I am now thinking she may be pregnant. She is definitely big in her belly. She also has a clear fluid in her teats when you gently and I mean very gently squeeze them just a bit. I found out she had been in a pasture with a stallion until about five or six weeks ago. I don't have a clue if she is bred or how far along she may be. I need all the advice I can get. We just bought her as a pet and a gentle riding mare around here. She is very sweet and gentle, but today kicked at our other horse and flattened her ears back. She has never done that to anything before, but we haven't had her long either.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 532
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karen - Has she come into season while you have had her? It is not a definate, but a bred mare will usually not come into season. If she was in a pasture with a stud until six weeks ago and she has no medical reason keeping her from being pregnant...I would be looking for a foal in the future. If she was with him all year, she could have been bred as late as last summer or as early as last month. If you have a strong feeling that she is, the best option is to have her palpated by a vet. You may be able to watch her for a couple of weeks to see if she comes into season and if she doesn't, it would be a strong indication that she is preg. Does she have any bag/udder to go with that fluid? Do you have any pics?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US