My mare is at the vet clinic right now to be bred via frozen semen. She has a nice follicle developing. It got large, irregular and soft so she was inseminated with the idea that she would be ovulating soon. She had not ovulated at the next 6 hour checkup. The vet has given her HCG and Lutalyse and we are hoping that she will go ahead and ovulate. I am guessing that since she was inseminated at 7:00 this morning, if she had not ovulated by 7:00 this evening the first insemination was a bust and I can only hope that the second one will be successful - IF she ovulates
I came here to see if I could find some similar experiences and I found the article - does this sound like what she has? Just curious since if it is, looks like we will be short-cycling her and trying again...or will she just do it again?
No it does not sound as though that is what your mare has. Based on what you describe, it sounds as though your mare has a perfectly normal pre-ovulatory follicle, and that the people involved are just lacking a little patience!!!
Take a look at the article about predicting ovulation and I think you will find some comparisons there.
Wow, Thanks - great article. I love the pics...makes me want to get printouts of her ultrasounds for comparison...to late for that tho. From what the vet described to me over the phone it sounds like she was getting close yesterday but had not gotten to the teardrop stage. I have not gotten an update today, but maybe she ovulated, was successfully inseminated and I will have a 6-6-6 baby *scary* - or she is still holding onto that nice ripe follicle and smiling as she hangs out at the "broodmare resort" that she is at.
The vet mentioned that he was worried about the follicle regressing - that was why he gave her the shots...
On a side note- The mare has two things against her - she is 19 and has not been bred in 3 years and she is a little on the "robust" side. I am trying very very hard not to pester my vet to death asking for updates.
I think she is laughing to herself.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: