SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

When to cover in heat cycle?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » When to cover in heat cycle? « Previous Next »

ANNANOMUS
Neonate
Username: Lady_sil

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare came into standing heat on fri. I took her to stallion on sun. & mon. for cover. Now 2days later she is still in heat. This is also the first yr. she has been pastured with a gelding. She is 11yrs. old. Any thoughts ? Thank you

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10707
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mare's estrus (heat) phase lasts typically 5-7 days, with this time of year it tending towards the shorter duration (it's nearer the height of the natural breeding season in the northern hemisphere). Individual mare variation plays a big part in the scheme of things.

If your mare was first seen in estrus on Friday, then by Sunday she would have been day 3, and Monday day 4. This means that it would be typical to see estrus behaviour persisting for a few more days.

The one concern that you perhaps should have is that most mares ovulate in the last 24-48 hours of standing estrus, so if the mare is still displaying, you should perhaps be wondering if there is still going to be viable sperm in the uterus at the time she ovulates if she hasn't already. Sperm are typically considered viable for about 48 hours in the mare, so the common breeding practice is to start breeding the mare on day 3 of standing estrus (or some prefer day 4), and then every other day until she will not accept the stallion's advances any more. Breeding every day increases the inflammatory response in the uterus and can actually lower pregnancy rates in some mares.

You might want to have your mare checked by ultrasound to confirm ovulation, or breed her again if she is still accepting the stallion.

ANNANOMUS
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you & I was wondering if i shouldn't get her covered one more time, but tonight she stopped showing for the gelding. She did however show alittle after urinating, but did not again when approuched by the gelding. Previous to this she was showing to him strongley. So I will wait til next heat & get her covered closer to her going out:-) Yes beginner here. Thanks for reply.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10711
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 12:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't rule out the possibility that she is pregnant! Even though the average duration of viability of sperm is around 48 hours, there have been plenty of incidences where the sperm has survived longer and achieved a pregnancy. Have your mare checked by ultrasound by your veterinrian in about 14 or 15 days. You may be lucky!!!

ANNANOMUS
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos. she did show again this morning, pinned her ears & swished her tail & got away from him, so I know she would not stand to be covered. So all total its been 7days & she was covered mid heat 3days in, coverd 2 & 3days out.I'll keep my fingers crossed & ultra sound :-)

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 635
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 01:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes it is not wise to rely on the mares responses to another horse such as a gelding or other mare, especially at the end of their heat. Some mares take some coaxing by the stallion and will permit one last mount when they have shown other behavior to the gelding. Just food for thought. It seems that we have had a couple of mares that tend to settle on the last breeding when the coaxing has to take place. They tend to ovulate very close to the end of their cycle.
Good luck !

ANNANOMUS
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 09:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well this is a complicated mare,Jos you are right , in that she showed so strong on day 7 which I thought was hey where over this , but was wrong, as she wanted to be bred. But i think I have her figured out. Whew!Would like to know what you think. Well last night june 1st. morning time she seemed to be going out. But late afternoon she showed a strong standing heat , so I took her back to the stallion & she showed strongley & I could barely drag her away from him , so I let her be bred. The stallion is a great teaser & took his time, & she accepted him well. Now here is the wierd part. Today she was with the gelding standing quiteley all day, then this evening I walked over & got them to touch & he nipped at her & she started to show but she also hung her head & popped her mouth just like a baby would do ! This was a submissive stance to me, which she hasn't done at all thoughout this heat. I believe she is comimng out but submissive to this gelding. I'av had this mare since she was a foal & she would do this when young & when she came into her first heat with another gelding years ago. This made me remember it. Anyone else had this experience with a mare ? Thoughts on my theroy? Thanks

(Message edited by lady_sil on June 02, 2006)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US