SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Have you heard of this??...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Have you heard of this??... « Previous Next »

Amanda Gilbert
Weanling
Username: Amanda

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 08:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A woman where I had kept my mare intill afew months ago called me last night. She was upset sayinig that a stud colt had broke down the fence and spent the day with her mare and it was apartnt that the mare had been bred. the barn owner told her not to worry about it that she would give her a shot and it would take care of things. this was over a month ago that this happened she said her mare has not been given the shot yet. When she asked the barn owner about this she said that her mare isnt bred and cant carry a foal to term because she is sisstic. (?sp) the woman asked why she thinks this the barn owner told her because her horse will squele at other horses when sniffing noses. I told her to have the vet out and give the barn owner the bill she doenst want to and have it make waves. This woman doesnt know much about horses other than how to ride her horse. Now she is worried about if the mare is bred or if the barn owner is right and that she cant carry. She told me that she doesnt have $$ to spend on this breeding re:vet bills. What should I tell her? Was thinking about telling her she could keep her horse here but not sure if I should or not. dont realy want ot get in the midle of it. We are just starting a breeding farm. What are you thoughts...

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10704
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are correct in your summation. The vet should be called, and should pregnancy check the mare. The concept of the mare being cystic based on that behaviour is rubbish - the more so as the equine does not develop a cystic follicle like cows do.

If the barn owner is showing reluctance to pay for a vet call, the mare owner might like to make it clear that the barn owner will be held liable to the fullest extent in the event that the mare is pregnant and anything happens to the mare as a result of the pregnancy.

Note that if it is now over a month since this happened, it is too late to reliably terminate the pregnancy with an injection of prostaglandin, which must be done before about 30 days for reiable success. Options can be discussed with the veterinarian, but it may be necessary to maintain the pregnnacy - in which case there will be certain preventative health care required (Rhinopneumonitis vaccination at 5,7 and 9 months as a minimum for example) and different management for the mare needed - all of which should be discussed with the barn owner, as it would seem that there is a degree of responsibility to be laid there, they having failed to involve a vet. sooner.

Megan A Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Fabmeg

Post Number: 138
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As Jos says, who ever owns the Stud colt is liable if the stud colt got out, so she has legal standing to demand her vet bills be paid for. But if she really doesn't want to rock the boat, tease that mare every other day for the next month or so and see if you catch her in heat. If you do, she's probably not in foal. If you think she would be a good boarder, I wouldn't worry about being in the middle of it. Just document the mare's situation before she comes on your property. If she's not boarding there anymore she shouldn't worry about rocking the boat, and should just give the bill to the stud colts owner, along with intent to file suit if the bill is not paid. That is the proper thing to do in a situation like that. If the stud colt had run out into the road and wrecked someone’s truck, they would have to pay for the repairs to the truck, this is no different.

Amanda Gilbert
Weanling
Username: Amanda

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are right Megan. I have worked at many different horse farms and am just starting mine. This barn owner is very hard to deal with. The stud colt doesnt belong to the barn owner it is another boarder. He is a yearling this year and hardly has any manners. (doesnt know his space) I will call the woman tonight and talk with her about the situation some more and offer her a stall here. The woman feels like she is stuck there due to it being the cheapest place to board in the area every place else charges double or triple what this place is.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US