SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Aborting unwanted pregnancies

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Aborting unwanted pregnancies « Previous Next »

AG
Yearling
Username: Tilly

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all, sorry this is a bit of a long one. I came home from holidays to see my 11 month old colt trying to cover one of my mares. My neighbours mare in the next field was in season and he obviously felt the urge to hop on something, and with the fence in the way he hopped on my 2 year old filly, currently not in season. He didnt actually cover her, she is considerably bigger than him, but he was almost there so if left undisturbed i'm sure where theres a will theres a way. The problem I have is that I was unaware that all my horses were in the same field (broken fence)while I was away so for the past 3 weeks he could have been covering any of my mares. So obviously they have all been in season at one time or another over the past 3 weeks. The ones i'm concerned about are firstly his mother, then a 13 month old filly, and the 2 year old filly.
I assume that the 2 year old is still too young to be covered, she is big and strong for a two year old but I wouldnt want her to come to any harm. What are peoples opinions on this?
The yearling is definately way too young, i'm not even sure if she has begun cycling yet. (hopefully not).
His mother absolutely cannot be allowed to carry a foal. None of my mares ever show when they are in season.
I am hoping that if I get them scanned and pregnancy is detected, that it can be squeezed out as if it were a twin. If so, when is the best time to get them scanned? If they have to be 17 days or so to detect pregnancy, should I wait 17 days from today to scan them? If one of them was covered at the beginning of the 3 weeks waiting 17 days will bring then up to a potential 38 days. Would this cause a problem for pinching it out?
thanks

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10638
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some two year-olds may be mature enough to carry a pregnancy, some not. There is no hard and fast rule.

Your simplest solution is to give prostaglandin at least 6 days after the affected mares went out of estrus (heat). This will cause them to come back into estrus and the pregnancy will be lost. Cheaper, easier and safer than trying to ultrasound an 18-month old! If you are unsure of when they went out of estrus, use two doses of prostaglandin 14 days apart.

You would probably be well advised to talk to your vet about this too - you will have to anyway to get the prostaglandin.

AG
Yearling

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 07:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks a million for the info, one more question, if the yearling has never been in estrus before will it cause any problems to induce estrus?
thanks again

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10646
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the yearling has never been in estrus before, then using prostaglandin will not induce estrus. Prostaglandin causes the onset of estrus by destroying the CL, a structure that forms after an ovulation (this naturally occurs as part of the mare's cycle - giving prostaglandin simply changes the time that it occurs). If the filly has never had a cycle, and has therefore never ovulated, there will be no CL and estrus will therefore not be induced.

In the event that the filly has cycled and ovulated, then she herself is releasing prostaglandin on a regular basis, so introducing prostaglandin is not an abnormal occurrence.

AG
Yearling

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks a million for the help

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US