SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Abnormal cycle length? or submissive?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Abnormal cycle length? or submissive? « Previous Next »

Kjersti Tackett
Neonate
Username: Freetodreamarabians

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I have a 7yr old mare that we're breeding right now. She is on day 10 of standing heat; Came in on april 16th and was bred the 20th and 22nd and its now the 25th and she still very much in heat. I that normal? Should we cover her again? We tease every day when they're in heat and every other day when they're not so I do have a pretty good idea of when she's in and not. I thought it was kinda late to still be transitional and she had a normal length heat cycle from the 25-31st of march. She does move her mouth like a foal does when teased I'm not sure if thats an issue or not; it didn't seem to be an issue on the previous cycle. Any input or ideas would be great. Thanks

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10610
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds as though she may be displaying submissive behaviour, and that is manifesting as continued estrus-like display. Really the only way to know for sure if you need to keep breeding her is to have her ultrasounded. If her urine is now clear, and was thick and yellowy (such as one normally sees in an estrus mare - if you don't know what I mean, ignore this piece of the advice!!), then there is a good chance she has ovulated - but again, only really u/s will say for sure.

Kjersti Tackett
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks Jos, as of tonight she still squats and winks for him but there is very little pee and what is there is clearish yellow not the thick and opaque yellow like it is usually. It also does not smell like estrus urine. Why do some mares do this? She's not the bottom of the hierarchy she's in the middle. Does this behavior go away or does it stay even when they're pregnant or not in heat for forever. Thank goodness for ultrasounds you'd never know if they're pregnant or not if they continue to show. Mares!

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 682
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 06:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

last year i bred mine who bred from april 14 through april 28th, towards the end of the cycle she did not "pee" as much if at all but was very submissive and willing, so we bred her, she did take and was ultrasounded and found to be accurate with last breeding date. she also carried for 355 days from her last breeding date so we feel confident she was actually cycling that long. The year prior we bred her for the 5 to 7 day cycle and forgot about the rest thinking she was not still in heat and she never stuck, so we are thankful we did the whole 2 weeks last year. I guess I would breed her (e/o day)if she is willing and see if she doesnt come out in the next coouple days. My opinion anyway.

Kjersti Tackett
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So if I go ahead and keep breeding e/o day would that be detrimental to her if she has already ovulated and is just submissive? Would it make her lose the potential pregnancy or risk of infection or...? What are the pros/cons of each?

Megan A Brown
Weanling
Username: Fabmeg

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's a tough one, I really think your best bet is to have her palpated, That way you will know for sure.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10620
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you don't breed her and she is still in true estrus, you may miss an ovulation and therefore not get a pregnancy.

If you breed her and she is not in true estrus you may cause pregnancy loss. Repeated breeding also heightens the risk of pathogenic presence in the uterus.

You need to get the mare ultrasounded (palpation may not be definitive enough in this situation).

Kjersti Tackett
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to update you this mare was checked 24 days in foal on may 19th. She was in standing heat from the 16th-26th of april and bred the 20, 22, and 26. So judging from the age of the embryo she must've ovulated towards the end. Weird mares! glad we bred her though it would've been a long shot if we hadn't bred her that last time. It would've been good to ultrasound too but I couldn't get her into my vet for a few days.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10682
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad the mare is pregnant.

Note that pretty well all ultrasound machines give an estimate of the conceptus age with a +/-2 days variation (i.e. a 4 days window of variance), so she may well have ovulated earlier than you thought.

Jean Hatalsky
Neonate
Username: Olf

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

375 days and still waiting on our mare. We plan on retiring her this year and I think she's keeping this last foal

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US