SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Fluid in bag....maybe pregnant?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Fluid in bag....maybe pregnant? « Previous Next »

Angel Portice
Neonate
Username: Porticea

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have had many foals born in years past. I did not breed any other mares last year except 1. She was exposed to one of our younger stallions last year. The vet said she was not in foal on her 14 day check.

She never really seemed to come in heat after that. Even now being right by a stallion, there is maybe a day I have seen her even acting heatish but she almost acting non-chalant about it. Tail up and then walked away. I have seen my pregnant mares act like that toward him when I knew they were in foal.

She is not huge this spring but certainly carrying more weight then she normally does. She is a slighter built type mare and she is looking huskier then my stought mare pastured with her.
She doesn't look pregnant per say but definitely not a normal spring fat. Just has that odd shape to her, not wide just long in the barrel with a little extra down low.

She has not had a foal in 2 years. Her bag is stretched from having a few foals. Right now her bag is long and hanging, looking a litter bigger then it looked 2 months ago. It is not filling by any stretch but does feel warm and maybe getting meaty/thick compared to what I remember for her.

My question is would an open mare still have a decent amount of fluid in her bag? Would it be easily expressed?

I checked her over close and squeezed her bag, I did get a few finger fulls of fluid out of her bag with very little effort. It was the normal cloudy yellowish/white color that my mares have had at this time in their pregnancy.

She would still have about 2.5 months to go at this point if she was in foal. I am just really starting to doubt the vets thoughts that she was open on ultrasound.

I have had different vets make that mistake many times. I can think of at least 3 foals off hand that this has happened with. Luckily they showed very normally and we knew the mare was in foal. So the mare was on a higher feed and vitamin content. This mare is one of those that even when I know she is in foal doesn't show until the very end, then she gets just so-so in size.

I am going to start feeding her a pregnant mare regument instead of her normal feed and see what happens in the next two weeks. I haven't palpated a mare in a long time, lots of A.I. but not palpating. I have a feeling I will be calling the vet back out.

Thank you,

Rousseau
Nursing Foal
Username: Epona5

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 02:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, 14 days can be a bit short if you don't know for sure the day of ovulation, so she could have been 11 or 12 days the day she was checked, so the vet missed the pregnancy, it often happens with pasture breeding, maybe they've done it discreetly in the night 2 days after what you thought was the last breeding, and she didn't ovulate until a day later, that's it !

nothing to do except palpate, if she doesn't mind the procedure.

as for size, one of my mares doesn't show either, for her first 3 foals, I checked her at 9 month, because I wasn't sure she was pregnant !

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US