SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Foal Heat Cycle

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Foal Heat Cycle « Previous Next »

melissa
Breeding Stock
Username: Mbgirl

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare who is due anyday now. She is 341 days as of today April 23,2006. We would like to breed her back on the heat cycle. I don't remember how long after she foals does she come back in. I want to have another April foal. I was not going to breed after heat cycle, but she has not foaled yet. I want to have another foal before May next year. Also how long are the mares in the foal heat cycle. I will be taking her to a stud farm with the young foal.What is the best way to get a young foal in a trailer, this will be are first time to send her somewhere else? Also when will she come back in after the heat cycle in case we can't her to the breed then?
Thanks MELISSA

Jan Owen
Nursing Foal
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I also have a couple questions to ask the knowledgable, experienced ones. My mare lost a foal on 4/17/06 full term, placenta detached during the foaling. I am going to breed back to the same stallion, although this time it will need to be AI due to his showing career. My vet is suggesting catching her at the 30 day mark from her foal date. Does anybody have experience breeding at that time? and success? That will be around May 14-15th. Thanks for all of your help.}

Sharon Malmberg
Yearling
Username: Ryu2832

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They usually come into foal heat 7-10 days after foaling (Ruby came in at 6 days post foaling), then about 30 days after foaling. Either way, you need a good recovery of tone in the uterus before breeding back.

For the mare I've heard that it is much better to wait for the 30 day heat.

I do AI only so I can't say about the foal at stud farm. Good luck!

Megan A Brown
Weanling
Username: Fabmeg

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've transported very young colts for medical reasons and they normally just follow mama in to the rig if there is enough room for the two of them to move fairly freely and mom loads up nicely. A but rope can work wonders. We use an alumni stock trailer with wide conparments so there is room for baby to lay down and not get steped on by mama.

melissa
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 222
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,
I sent my mare Annie with her filly to the stud farm last thurs night. The farm breed her thurs night and Sat afternoon. The farm also breed her Sunday, because the helper grandfather died. I wanted to know do you think we got her breed with just those breeding? My husband is going to go try to help breed her today. The foal is 12 days old now.Annie foaled May 3, 2006. Annie when in foal heat on May 11, 2006. The filly had upset stomach on Sat. Do you all think my mare is breed or should we try a few more times?
HERE IS A FEW PICTURES OF THE STUD.

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e329/MBhorses/ChiefCasanovao/
THANKS MELISSA

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 595
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

melissa,
alot of times a foal heat is shorter than a reg heat. our mares foal heats are three-4 days long at max. while most of them only 2-3 days. Ovulation occurs at the end of the cycle.

Nice looking fellow!
Kim

melissa
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 240
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,
My mare Annie and the filly are still at the stud farm. The stud farm has been breeding her every other day since May 11,2006. The stud farm called wed May 17,2006 said she was breed then too. I haven't know her stay in foal heat this long. We wanted to pick up her today, but should be tease her again to make sure she is out of season?We don't want to miss her heat cycle.
thanks MELISSA

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US