SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare not receptive to Ultrasound when not in heat

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Mare not receptive to Ultrasound when not in heat « Previous Next »

Barb
Neonate
Username: Sisterflash

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a bad day at the vets yesterday. My TB mare was doing fine in the breed stocks exam for a posible eye injury. The vet said lets check her with ultra sound (she is a maden) do see where she is at. I said to the vet she is probably mid cycle and has not started peeing or showing so I do not want to stress her. Note: we already untrasounded her once - I brough her in with a 30 mm and we got her use to the machine and she was great for the whole process.

Now this time she did have drugs in her system for the eye exam but the vet touched her but in a not so friendly way and my mare went nuts. Sometimes I have seen them do this with stallion not wanting to be approched when not in season but confined in the breeding stocks and all it was not good. After we got her out of the stocks ...this was really scary and her leg was scraped up from kicking. She was calm but wanted away from the vet.

The vet is now saying that my mare will be a complete bitch during pregnency because if she is bitchy (or does not want to be examed) when she is high progrestone (guessing) then she will be a very cranky mare when she is pregnent. I have never seen a really cranky mare during pregnency. Is this true? Have any other of you seen this?

I have seen savvage mares before and after but not during. This is also not a savvage mare but she is more hormonal than my other mares and high strung. She is a little more on guard and bitchy mid cycle and very much in love when she is in heat.

I also did a lot of prep work with her to prepare her for these visits building her trust which I think is crushed now. I really do not want my mare dieing in the stocks to be bred. I am just worried that now the vet may mishandle her or that she might be right an my mare will be savvage pregnet?

Looking for advice, experience and more info. Thanks.

Megan A Brown
Weanling
Username: Fabmeg

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My sweetest mare tends to be grumpy when she’s knocked up, but it’s manageable, she’s just a little touchy. I also have a mare with low estrogen levels that ovulates a small follicle, and when she comes out of heat she is ready to kill anything remotely male in the premises. She still is a fine mare to ride and work with; she’s just mean to the boys. She has other issues but when she was pregnant for all of three weeks last year she was a very happy mare. Some horses are especially touchy when they are coming out of sedation. My girls are all drug addicts; we drop more sedation in them than you should need to knock over a draft horse. If you try to do a rectal on them and they are starting to wake up all hell breaks loose! But if they are all the way sedated or not sedated at all they do fine. It might have just been a panic attack.

Sharon Malmberg
Yearling
Username: Ryu2832

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have stocks so we use light sedation. The vet is gradually weaning them off as they are getting used to the procedure. We are about halfway there.

My Alpha grouch is a big lump of love when preggers, and my big sweetie TB gets progressively grouchy as she get heavier with foal--Never know until they get knocked up!

Sometimes the vet gets upset and says stuff that isn't necessarily true about a horse when they act up during a procedure.

Even if they go through a persoality change it's usually manageable. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US