SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Water Consumption in new mom?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Water Consumption in new mom? « Previous Next »

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 653
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 09:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much water should a 2-3 day postpartum mare be drinking? how do you encourage them to drink more?
stools are dry and urine concentrated and not a lot. is that normal?
seems to still have milk, baby eats plenty oftena nd seems content, i do hear him swallowing.
JOS ANY ANSWERS???

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock
Username: Raven

Post Number: 288
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris at least twice if not more than what your mare usually drinks. Lady goes through two 5 gallon pails a day and they are refilled three times a day. So in all about 15-20 gallons a day.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10588
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 02:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't mention how big the mare is, which is of direct importance, but a 1,000-1,500 lb mare will typically consume what Lori notes.

Things you can do to increase water consumption include giving bran mashes and watering the hay. Note that if she is on fresh pasture, she will typically drink less, as the grass at this time of year is usually high in water content.

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 654
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 06:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she is a 950 -1000 lb arabian. foal is about 75 lbs. she has only gotten 15-20 minutes for 2x daily of grass as she has not been turned out yet due tothe foal being a bit down, i am hoping to turn out today for an hour or 2.
i have given a little bran and water with her grain, but she is not real interested in that either, takes all night to finish what used to take 20 minutes. I am thinking she may be happier outside...so i will try to get her out today for longer and see if that helps.
She is acting fairly normal otherwise, still crabby an SUPER protective, but better than previous days.
I hope she starts drinking!
could i add salt to her grain? would that help? she has been eating her salt block some, but not like she used to. oh our weather has been mid 60's and partly cloudy, so its not hot here, but it has ben windy.

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock
Username: Raven

Post Number: 289
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 06:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Electrolites will help her from dehydrating. If you can get these into her.

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 657
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 06:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks raven, i will see if i can locate some today.

Sharon Malmberg
Yearling
Username: Ryu2832

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 09:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruby was very 'crabby', maybe more uncomfortable, and wasn't eating/drinking well after foaling.

I gave her a dose of Banamine, took all the old food and hay out, refilled the water buckets with fresh water, waited a total of 30 minutes and then shot 1 tablespoon of light corn syrup on the back of her tongue.

She drank about half a bucket, and then I gave her half the amount of her normal food with electrolytes mixed in. Sometimes I think when they aren't feeling well, that a huge amount of food available turns them off--kind of like when we get a tummy ache, the last thing you want is to look at food.

After that I gave her lightly salted carrots for a treat for a couple days, and she would drink after those as well. She got back on schedule after a couple days.

Good luck!

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 661
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well shes eating her frain now, i added salt and minerals to it. i turned her and Jericho out for about 3 hours, then gave her her grain, shes eating it now. she ran forhte first half hour, i think she was depressed still being locked up...she wanted to go run, she hadnt done that for about 5 months!!! she was beautiful!
well she has not drank yet but well see how she does after eating.
i do change her water every day. and im completely stripping and rebedding the stall today.(again) and letting it air out while they are outside.
i hope she feels like drinking...i worry about my girl.(btw-she did have bananmine the first day, made no difference)

Sharon Malmberg
Yearling
Username: Ryu2832

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sound like the fresh air did the trick then! A little exercise will get her thisrt up.

Ruby's a wimp when it comes to pain, she definately enjoyed her Banamine!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US