SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Immunizing pregnant mares for West Nile Virus

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Immunizing pregnant mares for West Nile Virus « Previous Next »

anita howard
Nursing Foal
Username: Mofoxtrottr

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious, did anyone give their mare a WNV shot during the last 30-90 days of gestation. I chose not to, any comments to WNV shots and pregnant mare ?

Jan Owen
Neonate
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 2003 my mare was expecting her first foal and my vet was conservative and chose not to until after she had foaled. Now she has been on a regular maintenance of WNV and again she is due for a booster and he is waiting till she foals. He did not feel that there had been enough research pro or con and takes the conservative route. She is at day 364 and driving me CRAZY!

Cindy Moore
Nursing Foal
Username: Chorse_1998

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 06:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ANITA - I chose not to give WNV shots this year either, as did several of my other friends. My repro vet says there is not supposed to be any reaction to the shot as far as stillborn or early foals, but he has had a few coincidences with several of clients mares that did just that after getting the WNV shot.
I hope I am not sorry in the long run........Cindy Moore
}

Jan Owen
Neonate
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy, It is still early in the "pest" cycle year and I agree with you about not taking the chance with the WNV shot during pregnancy. I just plan on getting it done as soon (or if she ever) foals. My vet then waits till the baby is 4 months before he gave him the vaccine.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10580
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has been much discussion on this bulletin board in the past on this subject. Doing a search will yield much information which there is no need to repeat here.

In a nutshell, all the scientifically sound research has indicated absolutely no connection between use of the WNV vaccine in pregnant mares and pregnancy loss/fetal maldevelopment. There is a web site that purports a link, but there is no scientific foundation to their claim - no post-mortem results supporting it, and indeed if you press the issue you will find that typically there has been no post-mortem performed. I am also aware of persons from that forum becoming extremely defensive (read "unpleasant") when questioned by persons with knowledge such as veterinarians. It is not a site supporting a reputable claim.

I am surprised that a veterinarian would suggest that there was any connection when their peers have proven otherwise. They might want to review the AAEP proceedings from (I think it was) '04.

Not giving WNV vaccination in an area with confirmed WNV cases is exposing the mare to significant risk without any scientifically sound reason.

Sharon Malmberg
Yearling
Username: Ryu2832

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I gave Ruby WNV shots, she'd never had them before so it was two, at 6mo into gestation. The foaling was fine and the foal perfect (in her godmother's eyes)!

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 658
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 06:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I gsvr wnv to my mare at 45 days gestation and at 3 months gestation as well as 7 weeks prior to foaling. her foal is ok (went through some impaction probs but fine now)
we have know wnv here so i chose to give it!

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brood mares have been getting WNV vaccine 30-45 days before foaling for 3 years. The first year they got the one at 9 months and the next a month later. My clinic recommends all brood mares get it before foaling so the foal has AB protection.
In the last 3 years we have had hundreds of mares vaccinated with it and only had one client that had a mare abort after receiving it. He swore it was the vaccine, but the necropsy proved otherwise.

Barb
Neonate
Username: Barb0604

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I gave my mare WNV in the fall (she was about 5 months along), and again 3 weeks before her due date. She foaled a lovely, huge, and healthy shire filly, her picture is at the link below.

http://www.camelotshires.com/images/AprilGuinevere1d04-12-2006.jpg

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US