SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

An-udder Udder Question!! Please help...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » An-udder Udder Question!! Please help... « Previous Next »

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 294
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is 309 days prego - I will try and explain my problem as best I can, SOrry In advance for long post and when I repeat myself!!

Inbetween her udders there is a fairly large 'valley' Which is deeper toward the back, there is a build up which I had though was dirt and grime that I was washing away once a week, today I noticed it was already back so I took a closer inspection. Its kind of a purple layer of grime that can be peeled away from the skin...If you stretch the skin where the layer is it looks as though it might be cracked and weeping - I can see a fleshy pink colour in the cracks and it feels sticky to the touch....?? Is any of this normal? COuld the purple colour to the grime be blood? I have never really looked at an udder before my mare was prego so I dont know what is 'normal' on an ordinary one! Can anyone offer me anything on this??????

Please help!

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 598
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well the only info i can offer is i had never washed hte valley on my mare till this year(shes 17) and it too had a dark purple red color to the "crud", im thinking dried blood from bugs ect. anyway, yes it could be cracking and have a fungal type infection from being a dark moist spot. i would wash it and be sure to dry it well every day or every other. use betadine or atea tree oil cleaner... just be sure to dry it well as to not cause more probs.
good luck.

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock
Username: Raven

Post Number: 235
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim W it is normal for that to be there. If it is really dry and cracking you can use a bag balm/udder cream to soften the udder area. But when it gets closer to faoling be sure to wash it off good.

Cconner
Nursing Foal
Username: Cconner

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim the sticky dark stuff is called smegma, it is the oils and dirt mixed together (the same as a stallion gets in his prepuce. You can wash it with warm water and ivory soap just be sure to rinse it really good. If her skin is really irritated from the smegma you can use what Raven said. All mares have it even when they are not bred, I try to clean mine every so often (I usually just peel it away before it builds up too much). Anyways, it is all very normal.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 295
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 03:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay...thanks guys....
Like I said - Id never really payed so much attention to the udders before now they got rinsed in the summer but thats all

Thanks again

!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US