SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Broodmare age

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Broodmare age « Previous Next »

Marty (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 172.156.21.169
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am seriously considering purchasing a broodmare who is 18 yo. Has had many foals with no problems, has always been well cared for and looks in great shape. If her uterine biopsy comes back good, should her age be a big problem?

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have bred my mare, who at the time was 17, but will be 18 by the time she foals. She has had one other foal that I am aware of, with her last owner and all went well. She is due in May and up till now has been a dream - everything has been fun and exciting, and its all been normal. The vet came out just yesterday and said everything looks great.

I have heard of people breeding mares up to 23yo - As far as I understand, as long as everything is in full working order, the age should not cause any major worries - I asked around a bit too also worried that my girl was 'getting on' a bit.

Hope this helps
And good luck if you go ahead.

Robin Culbertson
Neonate
Username: Murrini

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is getting ready to foal any day, she is 20 and seems to be doing just fine with this pregnancy. I am planning to breed her again in April as long as there are no complications to prevent it. She has always been used as a broodmare so this one dosn't seem to be bothering her too bad. She was running (loping, not just trotting) and tossing her head like a 2 year old last week which was 344 days... You would never guess she was pregnant except for the big belly. (She did decide bucking was a little much right now!)

Jenn
Breeding Stock
Username: Jenn

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a 22 year old mare due to foal in May/June. She is a good riding horse, but a great broodmare. I truely believe it would break her heart if our other mares had foals and she didn't have one. I swear being prego again took at least 5 years off of her both physically and mentally. (interesting note, she was out of a 20 yr old mare bred to a 25 yr old stallion. Maybe her longevity is genetic.) I have heard of instances of mares continuing to have foals into their late 20's. We also have a another 22 yr old mare currently carrying her 1 st foal. Both mares are in a pasture with other horses ranging in age from 2 and on up, but the "old girls" are still very much in charge, and can run and carry on with the best of them.

Marty, if you want my opinion, you should make your decision based on her condition (but keep her age in mind of coarse). As long as she is in good physical condition age shouldn't be a problem when breeding her.

Gynna Meiller
Breeding Stock
Username: Jw_kings_excalibur

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

most broodmares if kept in good shape can and do foal yearly up into their mid 20s. I have seen a broodmare foal her last foal at 32! But I dont believe that is the norm..If she has been a broodmare than thats a good thing. Its very different than taking a 18 yr old mare that has not foaled or not foaled in year. My brood mares are 13 adn 15 and in better shape than most folks riding horses according to my vets..much is how they are kept, wormed, worked, vaccinated fed, as well as how long you alow the foals to nurse. I wean at 4 months as long as foals are eating feed and hay/pature good and not nursing much( I watch them close)I also dont breed back in foal heat(just my prefurencs) and have found that my mares do great with my program.
I am sure JOS can add some much needed insite on this matter

tami knaust (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 164.58.112.32
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently bought a 16 year mare. The lady I purchased her from said that she bred her last year and she was pregnant for about 8 months and then lost it. So i guess she is still a maiden mare. My question is; should i even try to breed her? Are her chances of producing a foal slim because of her age and being that shes never had a foal? ive done a biopsy and culture and everything is good! Your thoughts and experiences are appreciated!!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10497
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the mare had a healthy breeding soundless examination, there is no reason why she should not be bred. 16 is not that old. Using an experienced equine reproduction veterinarian (a theriogenologist) would be to your advantage.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US