SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Pregnant mare trying to bite!!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Pregnant mare trying to bite!!! « Previous Next »

melissa
Yearling
Username: Mbgirl

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare Annie has decide to try to bite us when we go to get her at feeding time. Do you all have any ideals how to deal with this? I have a mark on my arm today from her. Annie has never done this before. Annie trying to bite the other horses at feeding, but never me.Annie is not due still April 2006
thanks MELISSA

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mELISSA-
MY MARE IS USUALLY A BIT ON THE CRABBY SIDE WHEN NOT IN FOAL, HOWEVER SINCE SHE GOT TO BE ABOUT 6 MONTHS SHE HAS BECOME ABSOLUTELY EVIL!!! AND IN THE LAST 2 WEEKS EVEN MORE SO!! SHE WILL BIT ANYONE BUT ME AND MY DAUGHTER WHO PUTS HER BACK THE PASTURE IN THE EVENING. ANYONE ELSE NEEDS TO WEAR BODY ARMOR!! SHE DOESNT EVEN WANT TO BE GROOMED, AND NORMALLY SHE ABSOLUTELY LOVES IT! SHE LAYS HER EARS BACK BEARS HER TEETH AND HTE HEAD BEGINS TO SWING...I AM NOT SURE HOW TO REALLY STOP IT OR WHY SHE DOES IT, I JUST AS SOON AS SHE GETS A BIT CRABBY I SNAP MY FINGERS, STOPM MY FOOT AND THEN LAY MY HANDS ON HER ANYWAY, SHE STOPS, BUT WILL TRY AGAIN A MINUTE LATER.

ANYONE WITH SUGGESTIONS OR REASONS??

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 312
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing that I have been able to come up with is HORMONES ! I know that when I was pg that my body was overly sensitive to everything that touched it. I would imangne that a animals body could feel the same way. Any body else ?

Terry O.
Weanling
Username: Ksfarmer

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I will hear some opposing opinions but if you can just bop her on the nose at the same time she is coming at you. THIS HAS TO BE A REFLEX LIKE REACTION THOUGH!!! If she already bit you it is too late to react like that. If are you at the point of just being bitten throw your hands up in the air and chase them very quickly for about fifteen feet. Again it has to be quick, don't take time to look at the bite.

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 313
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have a problem with it !

Kim

Alex Abel
Weanling
Username: Paintedhorses

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Biting is one of the things I absolutely DONT tolerate from any horse. I dont care if its a stallion, a young horse or a pregnant mare. You have to establish a rule. And that is that you are the boss ALWAYS. Dont let her get away with it. When you notice the slightest sign that she is going to bite ( like putting her ears back, etc), tell her NO WAY. How you do that depends on you and your horse. I have a horse that is very sensitive and all I need to do is breath in deep and give her a look. Another one of our horses is such a pest ( she's not mean and doesnt bite, just very annoying) and she doesnt care if you yell at her or raise your hand. She is the type of horse you could probably knock over the head with a brick and she wouldnt care.
Raise your hands, yell at her, bop her on the nose. Or you might take a whip with you when you go in her stall and if she tries to bite give her a good tap ( but not on the head, that will just make her headshy) on the neck or shoulder.
I hope you can solve this issue before you or someone else gets hurt again.
A few years ago I worked at a different breeding farm and one of the stallions bit a lady in the chest ( she had to go to the emergency room and have it stitched). She got bit because she would always give the horses treats and that day she didnt have any to give to him, so he got mad). Horses are cute but you cant treat them like housepets or you will run into problems (especially with stallions). Needless to say the stallion owner sold the stallion a month later. Didnt want to breed to a stud that has such a temperament)
Good luck and be carefull.

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 314
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alex is right ! I will flick them on the nose to get a bit of attention , but never "HIT" . Try some of Alex's suggestions And never treat a horse like a house pet., they are not that. They are animals of prey and they precive you as a preditor even if you think that you have their total trust. Be Careful.

Jenn Van Horsen
Nursing Foal
Username: Jennuwynn

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, no matter what the 'reason' biting a human is not acceptable.
I had a rescue horse that was starved when she got here, just bones and although she was a nice girl and I never had any problems with her before, one day she decided to bite me when she thoguht I was giving her food away to the pony in the field with her.
She got my whole upper arm in her mouth and squeezed hard ... I screamed at her and reacted like lightening and whacked her as hard as I could (which wasn't my best shot as it hurt so bad my legs were wobbly, lol) in the mouth, then instantly turned and ignored her and continued on doing what I was doing.
It was obvious to me that she meant to get the pony, not me, and the look on her face was of "oops!!" and since then she has never tried again, she is a really nice natured horse other than that one time.

If I had let her get away with it, maybe things would be different. I have a friend who visits here and I have to remind her NOT to stick her hands IN the horses' mouths, I kid you not! She has been lightly nipped more than once and I yelled at her as much as I yelled at the horses, she also likes to wear fruit smelling scents all the time so no like the horses are at total fault ... but I don't let the horse get away with it even so. Me whacking the horse and yelling at them when she says it's okay actually cured her of doing that, not because she would get bit but because she felt bad the horse got in trouble.

Dancing Sparrow
Neonate
Username: Dancingsparrow

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think of what happens to women when they get pregnant. Some go through it like a Sunday morning, while other have morning sickness, eat the strangest things, and in a seemingly never ending nasty mood.
Oh the beauties of being a woman!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US