SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Unbred broodmare lactating

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Unbred broodmare lactating « Previous Next »

Kris Moos
Yearling
Username: Kris

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 09:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have an 8 year old mare that has been bred year after year for at least 5 years until this year, (i left her open). She is beginning to rebag and produce milk again after weaning her foal 5 months ago. what causes this? Should i be concerned at all?
do you think because she producing milk that she is missing haveing a foal this year and that she will be more likely to try to steal a foal from my mare who will foal soon? how long after foaling will be safe to return new mommy mare and foal with this mare to hopefully illiminate her stealing the foal?

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 254
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris,
she may not ever bother another mommy and foal. Being that she is 8 and had consecutive foals she may bag and up produce milk. There should be no problems if you don't mess with her udder. She may be a ideal mare for a nurse mare. I have a friend that had a paint mare that lived until she was nearly 40 and for the past many years produced milk and was a good mom to help take care of other foals when not tended to the greatest by their birth mare. She would allow any foal that wanted to nurse , nurse! But did not hurt other foals . If she was a possessive mare with her foals you may be careful with other this spring.

Kris Moos
Yearling

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks kim. She was very protective of her foal with other horses but not humans. Also when we weaned the foal she did not get upset at all(she went to a friends with other horses), the foal did not either she had adopted a gelding and my mare that is bred this year as her parents. they were seperated for 6 weeks, we then brought her home and kept her in a neighborong pasture so the big horses could get reaccustomed, there was no problem, the foal never went to hershe never tried calling to hte foal, but as soon as they were turned out together the mare chased the othr horses until she go between them and her foal and she circled that foal until she had total control of her and the others realized they lost her, she never tried to nurse the foal or let the foal, but she is defineately a mommy! If another horse has an injury she will clean it up, she will lick it, then go rinse her mouth dip her face in the water and clean it again with her muzzle and tongue. I will just hav eto keep her seperate and watch closely when i do put them back together. Alos i will keep in mind the nurse mare thing if ever i should need it (Hopefully not), or anyone else i know.
thanks

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 255
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris, also , I would just keep a eye one her udder, if it begins to get "hot" and there looks to be a problem then contact your vet. She could develop mastitis , but not normally if the udder is left alone. You know what normal is for her and if it looks like trouble, and don't second guess yourself seeing she has had so many mares you know her best.

Ya, she may be fine with a new mom/foal , but she may not , you will just need to watch her, normally we try to seperate new moms/babys for the first week or two anyways. At that age babies are well with knowing who mom is .
Fresh grass could be just the cause too, or if there is any other new baby on the block!

Good luck
kim

Gynna Meiller
Yearling
Username: Jw_kings_excalibur

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris, I have a 15 yr old broodmare that is doing the same thing. I have already had her palpated late last year and she is not bred( the old owners tried to breed a foal heat and she did not take) so we left her open. She had a bag that you can milk like a goat hun. Vet said its hormones as she thinks she needs to be a mamma. One thing good is that if for some reason the other mares dont produce milk( I have a two year old foaling that was given to us this way) or something happens to them or a friends mare than she will be more than happy to nurse. Now she is my most mellow mare and low man on totem pole, but she will steal a foal in a heartbeat! Even her sisters who is lead mare. If I am not right there to keep her out of their buisness then she would be a foal snatching fool. I cannot seperate her and her sister at foaling as they will both have a fit so I am there and seperate them after the foal is born for about three days( so far this has worked for us) I will be breeding her about the time the other mare foals so maybe that will take her mind off of things..LOL

Kris Moos
Yearling

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you kim and gynna-
So i really should not worry that her udder looks as if it could explode, but it is very cool, not hot at all! she is not tender to touch. You can defineately milk her!!! it sprays with force! I know she is not bred because i brought her home 5 days after foaling and all i nhave is one gelding.
I will keep an eye on her, and i will defineately have to watch her in case she is a theif in hiding!
she is defineately a momma...by nature i think!

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 258
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No I wouldn't worry with the things that you have posted .

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US