SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Ways to catch a mare who is breed from the pasture?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Ways to catch a mare who is breed from the pasture? « Previous Next »

melissa
Weanling
Username: Mbgirl

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a mare we have had for a year now. We tried to use feed to catch her. This mare is with two other horses who come to you everytime food or not. Does anyone know how I can get this mare to come to us. We catch her to be petted, shots, wormer and trimming. I need some answers on how to catch her from the pasture. The previous owner said she was this way as well. We have got her to stop running everytime we enter the fence. My daughter who is 11 yrs can caught her the best. This mare is about 9 yrs old. This mare is due May 2006. We want to have her where we can touch the foal when it is born. We like to imprint our foals when born here. Help us out with this mare.This mare is not a mean horse, just don't like to be caught.This is a mini horse by the way.Thank you.Melissa

Emma
Breeding Stock
Username: Emma

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 06:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You need to a lot some time (hours) to just chase her around they paddock till she is buggered(two or three people are good for this). Then stop running her and back off a little and give her some room. Some people like to see the horses come up to them but she probably won't do that to start so take a step towards her, if she runs off again then chase her some more, once she looks tierd again (and i don't mean when she wants to stop, make sure its when you want her to stop) then back off a little and try again. Once you get next to her don't pat her, just stand there and then walk away and leave it for the day. Do this for a few day and make sure that when you do finally catch her the first few times you do nice things with her like brush her down, she will get the picture pretty quick that running is not worth her time and it is just easier to stand there and be caught. In time she will start to come up, just make sure that you don't only catch her to do the yucky things like worming and trimming. Make it a nice time also with a treat every now and then and a brush.

melissa
Weanling

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Emma,
When we got this mare a year old we try running her, but it didn't work.We tried tieing her to a post for a day(didn't work)We try everytime we do catch her we do pet her now. She has got where she don't run as bad now. She still don't like to be caught. Did I tell you she is pregnant due in May.Is it okay to run her like that while pregnant?It you can help me out so more let me know. I am thank for any help I can get.
thanks alot for your help,
Melissa

Emma
Breeding Stock
Username: Emma

Post Number: 124
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 06:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melissa, I wouldn't run her if she is in late pregnancy. Sorry I didn't realise that. Has she been miss treated? Why does she run? I would say your only hope at imprinting this foal at this stage is to stable the mare, other wise expect the foal to be harder to catch than the mare! I am not quiet sure what tieing her up was meant to do. The running will work you just must not be doing it correctly and by giving in last time you tried it you have just made that method even harder to use again.

E Watkins
Weanling
Username: Evie

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melissa-

Some horses just prefer not to be handled a lot, if your mare is only caught to be trimmed, wormed or given shots, I'd say I can understand her way of thinking. ( it would make sense to avoid those things if I were a horse..lol) You need to catch her and spend some time with her that she enjoys and the running method of training works too, but I'd avoid that while she's pregnant as sometimes they end up pretty sweaty before they are ready to decide that being caught isn't such a bad idea. (and you'll be sweaty too, I'm always tired before the horse is)

Lisa Weir
Breeding Stock
Username: Pals_pal

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 05:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every year someone sends us at least one mare like this.

If she's empty when she arrives, I do some work with her in the round yard. If she's pregnant, we keep her in a paddock that has a yard attached and encourage all her friends in and then let them all out, keeping her in. And then we feed her oats and love her lots.

Occaisionally we don't get a warning that they're hard to catch and then we have had to take every other horse out of the paddock and when they are alone, they tend to want to be caught.

I'd be keeping her in a smaller area once you catch her, and spending lovey time with her every day.

Kris Moos
Yearling
Username: Kris

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i agree with lisa. My mare was that way from 1 yr old when i got her until she was 6 when she was ready to foal the first time. we took hr out of the pasture to feed her, brush her and let her graze on the good stuff. Every time we caught her without a fight she got a special treat (apple, carrot, handful of commercial treats), now she is pretty easy to catch, once and a while she decides to run a bit, but gives in to being caught or she will not be fed or treated!
they will learn...eventually!
howverer because i spen all the time with her and dont always ride her i can catch her, but others have to trick her to catch her because she knows if they are coming to get her it means work...(she tries to avoid that.)
good luck...time and love is the answer i think!

melissa
Weanling

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,
Thank you all for your help with my mare. I will try these things on her. I will let you all know how it goes.
Take care,
MELISSA

melissa
Yearling

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,
I have been working with this mare. This mare still new work.Help!! My mare is due in May 2006.
I need to get her to trust me well,before the foal is born. We are thinking of giving her a small pasture area.
Thanks MELISSA

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 08:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

defineately small pasture till you can catch her!!! have you tried feeding her on a lead rope so she learns in order to get food she has to come to you? I would try a small pasture/pen, only hay outside, and no dinner till you catch her and then feed her, she will soon learn it is easier to walk to you or wait till you come to her than to run around an hour before dinner is served! That is what I had to do to my mare, she now walks to me when she sees me, she wants her dinner, not excericise! :-)
good luck!

Amanda
Neonate
Username: Dakota87

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare that was exactly like yours and she was pregnant as well witha foal at her side. She was an amish horse so i don't know if she associates being caught with doing work. So what I did was bring a bucket of food out (take the other horses away first) and walk away from it about 10 steps. Let her come to the food and walk a little closer, if she starts to walk away, just stop and let her come back to the food. and keep doing it until you are closer. Then leave it at that when she comes back, don't try to catch her. do the same thing the next day and the next until she lets you get close enough to catch her, still don't catch her. Next day do the same but this time kneel down by the bucket and just talk to her while she eats. It took me a full year to get cmplete trust of the mare but it took me about a week to start being able to catch her with this method. If she has a halter on then it will be easy, if not then hold the nose piece in the bucket so she has to put her nose into it, just take it slow. If you move to quickly you will break the trust. When the foal came she actually became somewhat violent with me because she still didnt trust me completely but now she will walk up and let me hug her. Good luck!

melissa
Yearling

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amanda,
I am trying to get a little closer to this mare. Sometimes she will let you close to her and other times not. What is the deal? I am able to pet her while she is eating feed, but other then that nothing.On Sunday I try to pet her at feeding time she started running.Then I got the other horses out and would not give her feed until she came to me on my knees. I just sat there and watch her didn't try to pet her. I don't want her to run to much since she is pregnant.
ThankS MELISSA
Thanks Melissa

Amanda
Neonate
Username: Dakota87

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melissa,
Kyra (my mare) was the exact same way! She let me pet her while she was eating and then would leave. Once you catch her, if she ties) tie her up and massage her neck with your hands, brush her and make it a pleasant experience, give her a handful of grain and let her go. Find out what her favourite treat is (Kyra loves apples) so now I coax her with those. May is still a few months away and just running a little will not hurt the baby (to my knowledge) considering my girls run around and buck and rear when they were 9 months, playing in the field. It will take time, but if you work with it everyday then she'll come around. Sounds like you are doing everything right, it just takes some time for then to trust you.

SDS
Nursing Foal
Username: Whisper05

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melissa,
I have some experience in mares not wanting to be caught,actually I have spent many,many hours teaching them to trust me.I would suggest getting her into a smaller area, a round pen would do wonders for you,but a square on works too.If you are able to get her caught I would also suggest putting a halter and a 30 foot rope on her in a round pen and dont take it off till you can catch her.You can easily teach her you wont hurt her by going in to the pen and sitting,not paying any attention to her,try that for a week or so till she is used to you around.Try not to have to many people involved in your patience lesson,some horses get more terrified if they feel too many people around.Talk to her softly,tell her she is a pretty girl,etc.,even read or sing to her in a soft monotone voice.Once she accepts this you should be able to touch her,brush her,and brush her till your arms hurt,all the while talking to her,she will feel if you are scared so dont be afraid,keep your mind on something else,step softly around her,and do everything ever so gently.By doing this you are showing her you arent going to deworm her or do other things she might not like,this is teaching her trust.If she is one that rears and falls over backwards to get the rope out of your hand I would suggest not letting the rope go,because in that way you would be teaching her that you will let go if she acts up.Some horses cant be tied they just freak out and try to tear down whatever they are tied to,it is so much easier to teach them to tie when they are babies than when they become adults.I do have one mare that I cant tie very much so I will run her rope around a post but not tie it and hold the rope while I handle her,saves halters this way.You can foal her out in a round pen if necessary.And if at all possible I would suggest that you imprint the foal,but from my experience foals normally tend to inherit their mothers ,not necessarilly temperment but if she is hard to catch the foal will pick up on it and act the same way.Good luck in your adventure,it will take you all the time you have left before your mare foals to get her to trust you.I will keep my fingers crossed.

Nette
Neonate
Username: Nette

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This suggestion was used by a friend of mine. It worked well for a young gelding who refused to come in from the pasture.
First thing she did was remove the other horses.
Second...remove the water from the pasture.
Third, attempt to catch the horse. If the horse will not come, leave the horse alone and without water. When you attempt to catch the horse, take a bucket of water. Everytime the horse refuses to come in, leave the pasture with the water. She left the gelding alone for 2 days. By the end of the second day the horse was standing at the fence waiting for her. The horse took a big drip and was led into the barn with no problems.

Personally I would not recommend doing this for more than 3 days thou. Life's rule of 3 - 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food.

Kjersti Tackett
Neonate
Username: Freetodreamarabians

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that sounds like a great way to cause an impaction colic. I would not ever take water away from a horse for any length of time. I've had some horses get impacted over decreased water when it gets cold; not to mention taking it away for days at a time, and this mare is very pregnant. not a good recipe I don't think. Personally the running and rewarding with grain when they do come has worked much better in my experience with no potentially life-threatening/expensive consequences.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US