SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Movement in mares flank area what does this mean?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Movement in mares flank area what does this mean? « Previous Next »

melissa
Neonate
Username: Mbgirl

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 04:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We brought a mare about 2 weeks ago. The gentleman we got her from said she had just weaned a foal about a month ago. We have notice moving in her flank area. The mare is very skinny from weaning the foal, he said. We have been giving her feed and extra hay per our vet. We didn't want to get her vet check to see if she is in foal, if she wasn't. Does anyone have any ideals of what is going on with this mare? We are not sure if she is breed again or what. The vet said he would come out to check her to see if she is in foal, but I was hoping some of you all might have deal with this before.This past year was our first year to have a foal born on our place. I have another mare due in April 2006 vet checked and showing it big time. This new mare is so much smaller then my other mare that is pregnant for 2006.}Does anyone have any answers for me?}Also this new mare teeth look older then the coggins test. Do you have other ways to tell age of a horse?Her coggins test says she is 6 yrs old.}THANK YOU
MELISSA

Kassie Finley
Yearling
Username: Jkqh

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say you should just have the vet come take a look at her. He could tell you about what age she is and if she is in foal or not. It is best to know for sure so you know if you need to make room for another foal this year or not. There really is no way to tell if she is infact with foal without having a vet check her. He could also tell you about how far along she is if she is in foal. Sorry I could not be of more help than that.

melissa
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 09:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kassie,
Thank you for you help with my mare. I will see if the vet can come out here soon unless the mare shows signs of pregnant or not.
thanks melissa

beth freeman
Neonate
Username: Biffawaffa

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 08:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi melissa, someone gave me a mare that turned out to be 23 but they said she was 16. I dont know how thin ur mare is but mine was 500 pounds under weight and i seen(i think) the same movement in the flank...the vet said it was because she was so thin and was having pain's and her muscles would contract...pokey and i have been threw alot to get her back to where she is now...very happy! if u have any questions i can try and help.

melissa
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beth,
Thank you for your advice about my mare. I was told she was 6 yrs old, but by her teeth she looks older. My husband and I were thinking 10-15 if not older. I don't understand how the vet who pull the coggins could miss the teeth by that many years if it is true she is older.I am going to have my vet come out to tell me her ago. I am going to get him to help me find out why her flank area has movement. I was thinking what you said about muscles also. I hope she is now in her 20's. This mare is so sweet. This mare is about 500 pounds under weight I am guessing. This mare is only 14.5 hands tall. The mare hip area is very thin also. We wormed her and gave her shots already. We had a horse before thin like her, but she didn't have moving in the flank area she was 15 yrs old.If you all have any other ideals let me know. If this mare is pregnant does it mean the foal will be skinny. The gentleman said she just weaned a foal in Dec. 2005. The mare bag is still big. I compare this mares bag to my mare I weaned the foal in Oct2005 big different. How long does it take for the bag to dry up? I don't know if the man told the true about her weaning a foal or if she is going to have a foal.It this mare has a foal soon it will be small. I have been told by my friend she had a mare foal at her size with no problem. My friend said the mare didn't show signs to 2 weeks before she foaled. My other mare show signs a month before she foaled last year.

Jan H (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.45.224.165
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when it comes to coggins they put down what the owner tells them, it is not their place to make such determinations, they are there to prevent diseases from spreading from one state to another. I have had many horses have a coggins done, and the vet just asks name age breed and puts that on the paper I have never had the vet check the teeth to see if they were that age (not that I cared if they checked I am honest) but some folks are not honest when it comes to unloading a horse on someone. (sadly to say)

melissa
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan,
Thank you for helping me about the coggins test. My vet ask us the age and breed as well. We are honest people as well. I wish everyone would be honest. If a horse is older then you said, be honest about it. I don't mind her being older if I knew up front about it. I like to know the age, because older horses need different care.

Kris Moos
Yearling
Username: Kris

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melissa-warning long post
I cannot tell a horses age by their teeth, however i can get a close estimate by judging by other horses. Here is what I do,look at the front teeth of a younger horse, the younger they are the straighter up and down the front teeth will be, then look at the front teeth of an older horse they are sloped outward to make almost a point, now judge based on that where she fits closer to. (a 2 year old has short straight fronts, a 16 year old has long angled teeth). just an idea to get you a little closer. If your new mare is real thin you really should have the vet check her, because she may have bad teeth and need them floated if she is indeed older (10 +, however even 2 year olds even need their teeth floated), it will be difficullt for a horse with bad teeth to gain weight because they cannot chew properly and there fore do not digest properly. Also if you even suspect her being in foal you should have her examined. Many times people do lie about a mare being bred when in poor condition, because the prospective buyer is going to think "I can fatten a mare, but I am not sure I want to deal with a foal with possible health problems from poor nutrition, and the heartbreak of possibly losing baby". So what an easy way to explain poor condition and a bag..."oh she just weaned a foal..." I would be a bit suspicious...does she look in foal other than the movement? because even thin mares show some sort of sign...
as far as teh size of her bag it will depend on how many she has had, my older mare after 6 weeks just has little hanging skin and teats, but my younger mare who has had a lot of foals (before i got her) has a semi full looking bag still and her foal was weaned in late july, however she is dry. I guess to be safe have a vet out...my opinion...and that is what this site is based on...others knowlege and their opinons!.
kris

melissa
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris,
Thank you for your help. I looked at the other horses teeth. I compare her teeth two our colt who is 10 mos, a 13 yrs gelding and a 10 yr mare. All of their teeth are so much whiter then hers. I looked at my books to compare her teeth as well. I am still lost about her age. My mare is eating well. The mare is eating feed, hay and pasture grass. We have wormer and gave shots to her as well. Thank you for you help. I am always looking for answers. MELISSA

Kris Moos
Yearling

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 05:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

white or not may only be an indication of food eaten/staining, or of health, not age, look at the length of the actual teetha nd how they are angled, which one do her teeth look more like as in angle (an lder horse front teeth viewed from the side look like this > , younger horse teeth are more straight up and down.

melissa
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris,
I will try to check the teeth this week or weekend. We have had alot of rain this week.I have another question. Tonight I went to feed the mare, she had a dry cough. She only cough 3 times while I was outside. I hope she don't have heaves. What you you all think? This mare has no other things like running nose or nothing.
Thank you
Melissa

Kris Moos
Yearling

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 08:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

was she eating at the time? she may have just gotten somthing lodged in her throat and had to cough it up. Is her hay moldy or dusty? If that is the case she may have heaves or just allergies. I guess i would defineately have a vet check out this horse, be sure she is healthy!

Jan H
Neonate
Username: Jan_h

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

about teeth, after 15 years it can be almost impossible to tell exact age as there is little difference from 15 to 25 years other than perhaps wear. good luck and thank goodness she has you to love and care for her for the rest of her life!

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im sorry - I didnt know where to put this- this semmed like a logical place though! I went to feed my girl at lunch time and have been feeling between her teets and leg as suggested for weeks with nothing - but I felt the baby today - Its very exciting isnt it! I thought I felt it a few days ago, it was just like butterflies, but I couldnt be sure - This time Im sure. And when I got there she was laying in the field - She has some very slight swelling in front of her teets today - This is the first time somethings started happening since the AI, its all just been waiting - now I feel like were heading somewhere again. She isnt actuall 'due' untill May 15. Its not too early for just a bit of edema (sp?) infont of her teets is it? because it will do that for a while right?
Very excited now, I cant wait to see my baby! Any response on the edema front warmly received.
Thanks!

Kris Moos
Yearling

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KIM- feel the same as you! I felt the baby over the weekend, it was sooo awesome!!! i was so excited you would have thought it was my pregnancy!
she is also beginnig to form har bag (thickening). whooo hooo...we're getting somewhere!

Jan H
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim she is 7 months along I have heard from others that 7 months is the earliest they have been able to feel the foal, right in front of the udders. You could be feeling the little tiny swellings some mares start to get a 7 or 8 months. Sometimes a rich feed like lush grass or extra protein (from a mare and foal feed) is enough to cause such swellings. I would not worry about it too much, those maidens can keep you guessing on what is going on with them, and the first ones we tend to watch every little change....A few more months to go, but its a wonderful ride, enjoy it.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 03:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You say that jan - and actually I have just introduced Stud mix into her diet as its going into her last trimester the beginning of next month, so maybe that explains the swelling. Thanks for that.

you a little closer than me chris (you'd think it was my pregnancy too - everyone is enjoying taking the mick out of me a little) so Good luck! : )

melissa
Weanling

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 08:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My appaloosa mare I have been asking about has a dry cough. The mare shows signs of a cough somedays and not other days. My friend is guessing she might have lungworms. What do you all think?We have had this mare about 3 weeks now. We have already wormed her and gave her shots. I am going to have the vet come out here as soon as I can. Our vet charges alot to come out here.Our vet said he would be glad to come out here if needed.} We don't have a horse trailer right now. We are looking for a 3 horse slant load bumper right now. The mare has no running nose, temp or any other signs. What is going on with her lungworm, heaves or what?
Thanks MELISSA}}

melissa
Weanling

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone the vet came out today to check this mare for us. the mare is not in foal. she is about 12 yrs old or so. The moving in the flank area was musles,because she is to thin. The vet took a culture of her nose stuff we will know something in a few days. The vet came her steroids for 4 days.The vet said she didn't have alot of whezzing in her chest. The mare is eating good. The vet hopes she just has a cough. We gave her phen for 5 days as well. The mare has no temp. The vet said she is be a nice mare if she is clear from all the tests. My children like this mare you all pray that she is going to be fine please. I will let you all know about the test when they come back. I am glad she was not in foal this skinny. The vet check her udder as well. the udder is bagging up because we give her feed the other owner did not. The vet said the she should be fine we hope. thanks melissa

Jan H
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 08:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am glad she is not in foal since she was so thin. I will put prayers in for her full recovery. hang in there! She is blessed to have you to care for her now. I am sure in some small way she in her own small way prayed/wished for a family just like you to bring her home and love her!

Kris Moos
Yearling

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 06:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow Jan you said it well! i agree with her melissa! best of luck with you and your new family member! Maybe in a couple years you can get a foal from her, when she is good ane healthy!

melissa
Weanling

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vet called today about this mare we named Dixie Girl results should be in on the culture by Monday. We hope it all goes well. The vet said her weigh looks alot better since we have had her a month now. If she does good with the culture tests he said she should be fine to breed in the future. One reason he said she was so skinny is because she just weaned a foal like the gentleman told us. The vet said over all she looks great just need to get well and some more weight, plus good wormming. The gentleman did not worm her from what we can tell.
Thanks MELISSA

melissa
Weanling

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I put some pictures of Dixie Girl the appaloosa mare on the www.photobucket.com/albums/e329/MBhorses
The mare is skinny this pictures of her our when we first got her.
Melissa

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 07:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

melissa-
boy she (dixie girl) was quite thin huh? your little man hes adorable! he is about the same age as my "precious". (april 23) she is a AQHA frosted buttermilk buckskin dun, and as sweet as can be!
how many babies have you got coming this year?
I hope your newest additon to your heard shapes up well for you!

melissa
Yearling

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey,
The vet called again today said that the mare's culture tests were fine. The mare had a cold or allegry problem. We gave her pen shots and steriods for 5 days. The vet said to keep a eye on her. The vet thinks she might have the heaves or allegry problems. Does anyone have any ideals for me with this new mare?The vet thinks we might should take her back, but my children and I have got to like her alot. I don't have alot of money to put into vets bills. Help me with this mare!!!
I hope she just had a cold, but I am afraid it is more then that. We had a mare a few years ago with heaves she didn't not do well at all.We have to sell her to someone who could afford the treatments for her.She got where you couldn't ride her or nothing.I felt sorry for her.
Thanks Melissa

Dorthy (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 136.181.195.113
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you feed round bales? If you do I would stop. My friends mare has allergy problems and as long as she doesn't feed her round bales she is fine no flare ups
Good luck with her

melissa
Yearling

Post Number: 66
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,
This mare had a running nasty nose again this morning and a little bit of a cough. What is going on with this mare? I called the vet he said to watch her, because we just did shots on her.
I thinking she has a allergy problem or heaves to early to say. I called the man we got her from this morning, he said give her more shots. The man said she don't have heaves we will see.Will this mare cause a problem for other horses that will graze where she has been. I usually put my mare who is going to foal in April in this small pasture. I hope it will not make her or the foal sick.I don't really have another part to foal my mare without beening with other horses.
Thanks MELISSA

melissa
Yearling

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,
This mare is coughing again and running nose. We just gave her shots last week. The vet wants to wait to see how she does. What do you all think? The vet we use is one of the best around here and the most experince.I order some cough free for this mare today out line. How many of you all have try it? I hope this works for this mare. Can we use it on her if she is in foal or breed in the future.
Thanks MELISSA

Dorthy (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 136.181.195.113
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you feed round bales? I have a friend who has a mare that has allergies but they only act up if she feeds round bales

Alex Abel
Nursing Foal
Username: Paintedhorses

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is my suggestion. If you have a place to keep her where its not sandy I would put her there. You can also spray off her hay with water before you feed it to her. That might help a little. you could also try feeding her alfalfa hay instead of coastal. Its less dusty and has a higher protein content and will help putting weight on her. You might have to recalculate her grain rations though. Too much protein isnt good either. Horses with heaves usualy have a visible line across their abdomen. Try to keep her away from dust. Maybe she is allergic to coastal hay. Try the alfalfa.
Have you been giving her antibiotics for the cough ?? If you can rule out allergies from hay or dust, then its time to reevaluate. Let us know.

melissa
Yearling

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alex,
The vet called today to check on Dixie Girl. The vet said to give her pencillin 30cc twice a day again for 5 days then tucoprim for 5 days once a day after that.We will see how she does after this treatments.Does anyone know if giving pencillin shots and tucoprim several times what all does it do to the horse.Will this hurt the mare later if we decide to breed her? We don't have alfalfa hay right now.You can see this mare on my site Dixie Girl www.photobucket.com/albums/e329/MBhorses
Tell me if you think she has a heave line.
Thanks MELISSA

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 07:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dorthy - I see you asked about round bales. If its the same as here ther farmers will get round and small square bales often from the same field so the hay in each of them will be the same - Our farmer however knows which bales are from where and keeps the meadow stuff for us. Maybe a change of supplier - or as said above, soaking the hay in water to rinse the dust out is very effective for horses with dust allergies.
I dont know about heaves, but good luck melissa

Jenn
Breeding Stock
Username: Jenn

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The big difference when you feed round bales is not the quality of the feed, it is the fact that with round bales horses burry their heads right in while digging to get the tastiest morsels of hay. When you feed small square bales the hay is never as deep so it tend to bother allergies less.

melissa
Yearling

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,
When we got this mare she showed signs 2 weeks later. I don't think it is the hay, but could be wrong. My other horses are doing fine with the hay so far. My vet refer the people we got the hay from last. We usually get the hay from a gentleman from the pasture, but he sold out. We brought our first bales from him. We brought more hay about a month ago from someone else.I hope this hay does not have dust in it. The hay looks fine, but who knows. I don't want the hay to make my other horses sick later.We planted winter grass, but the weather has been crasy here in MS.
THANKS melissa

Raven (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 65.92.100.108
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 05:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Melissa,
I have a mare in my barn that has OCPD a respitory disease. When she had arrived a year ago she was just getting over a flare up with two weeks of antibiotic. Two weeks later we had to put a makeshift croup tent up for her. Got her to where she was able to breath better and finished a round of prednisone. Then started her on a product called Lung Flush along with Airwaves both made from the same company. Within two weeks she was better and a year later she has had no flare ups. Just before she is ridden they give her a dose of airwaves and she is fine. Also she was allergic to alfalfa hay and last summer she was in a field that had alfalfa in it and no trouble. You can find the product at
www.macleod-equine.com but you have to use both products together for best results. They are much cheaper than having a vet come out all the time or getting rid of the horse. http://www.macleod-equine.com/index.html
The link did not work so just copy and paste it. Sorry

melissa
Yearling

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raven,
If I was to want to buy this products. How would I go about that? What two problems would I need.
Lung flush and Airwaves?How does the products work? Is this something you put in the feed? How often to you have to give it?How much does it cost?I order a product called cough free a few days ago. Someone told me it might work. Have you every you cough free in the feed?This mare I am talking about we have had her about 6 weeks or so give or take. When we got her she was very skinny. This mare just weaned a foal when we got her. Do you the this mare has OCPD? You can see a picture of her when we first got her on
www.photobucket.com/albums/e329/MBhorses
her name is Dixie Girl the appaloosa mare. Do you think she would be fine to breed later? My vet thinks so.We are giving this mare pencillin for 5 days 30cc twice a day then the vet said to give her tucoprim in her feed once a day two scoops.The vet culture her nasty nose the other week it was fine. The culture shows it just beening a cold,heaves,allegry who knows. Is OCPD the work for heaves.What all causes this OCPD stuff. We don't know alot about it.This mare is costing alot for us to have her this short time.My children and I have grown to like her alot. I hope we can get her well and rideable without alot of cost.
THANKS MELISSA

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi melissa - I hope you dont mind, I was reading above. I think you are talking about COPD (minus a typo earlier on Raven ; )) Which is Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. I too used to know someone whose horse had this - Its a lung disease, a bit like asthema in people. Coughs, wheezing and cant excercise well. I remember most that mucus used to float on the top of this horses water bucket daily and she had a lot of mucus in her nostrils, she was on steriods I beleive, the vets would try and keep the mucus down and help open up the airways for her to breathe better, I was told that it was caused by mouldy hay - and I know that pollen, amonia and dust allergies affect it. It should be fairly easy to find info on if you are concerned, but I would try to relax a little - If you have a vet looking at her already, she should be in good hands - only, if you start looking, yourll be able to convince yourself of a million things it could be and worry over them all! Its an occupational hazard I know - But its bad for our blood pressures : )

Good luck - I hope you find out soon what it is.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also - I say 'used to' because I moved yards - The horse is still around as far as I know! and I cant remember whether she was ridden or not - It was a very long time ago...

melissa
Yearling

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who knows what is wrong with this mare? I will find out soon when the weather changes I am sure.The vet said to give her pencillin and tucoprim. I am giving her pencillin 30cc twice a day for 5days then tucoprim power the next 5 days once a day. We will see what happens then. The vet said I could try cough free, but I haven't hear of lung flush til now. I will ask the vet about lung flush as well.I am up to trying anything that will help her get better.
THANKS MELISSA

Raven (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 64.228.199.190
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melissa, If you go to the site above that I put in there you can see what the products are for and what other products they have. They are a natural remedy and I have found great success with these and othes from them. They should have a distributer in the states, if not you can order it from the net. I know of another horse that came into my barn as well with respitory problems and they stated to use these products and found within two weeks there was a great change to where she was able to lounge this horse who had not been able to be ridden in almost a year. They offer a money back guarentee I do beleive. Their products were orginally made for standardbreds but others have started to use them and have found great success with them. These same people who are using lung flush and airwaves together have tried almost every other product on the market and now they would use nothing else. No, I do not sell this product for those of you who might think that. I just know first hand how well it works along with there other products. You give it to them daily, suringe it in there mouth and after awhile they will take it freely from you they actually like the taste of it. The cost well that depends..for here in Canada it runs about ( bottle of lung flush is $40-45 and will last two months, bottle of airwaves about the same $40-45 and will last two weeks to a month depending on how much you use it) It is cheaper to buy it by the gallon. But also a lot cheaper that med from the vet and vet call bills. With greater success! The vet here did not know about these products either so you cannot always go by them knowing what is better in that sense,not saying they do not know. Just if they have never come across the product and have seen the results from them will they know.I did try the link above and it does work ( from my previous post).
Please try it if you really care about your horse and are up to anything you will not be dissapointed. They work not just for COPD cases but anything to do with respitroy problems.

melissa
Yearling

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey,
This mare still has a udder bag. The vet check it said it was fine. How long do you think it will take to dry up? My other mare didn't stay this long.
THANKS MELISSA

KatinCan (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 216.8.175.140
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melissa
I certainly can understand and relate to your mares respiratory problems.. I am an advid user of Lung Flush and Airwaves by Omega Alpha Pharmeceuticals This is the companies website
http://www.omega-alpha-pharmaceuticals.com/home.html
We purchased an Arabian mare approx 3 years ago with intentions of showing her. She had a cough immediately after she arrived at our facility clear nasal discharge and wheezing Vet looked at her put her on expectorant (she was 5 months preg) we figured she caught a little cold re: stress of transporting etc..
After many vet visits pre and post pregnancy the mare had finally had a endoscopy and a diagnosis of begining COPD was given This is similar to human asthma and causes the airways to become obstructed and therefore oxygen exchange is compromised COPD AKA Heaves makes horses more prone to respiratory infections, it can result in weight loss and decrease ability to perform .. The term heaves comes from the look of the horse( posturing ) while exhaling it appears that they are heaving the air out and in severe cases they develop a indentation line at the base of the ribcage (heave line) a tell tale sign most vets prescribe antibiotics and expectorants along with steriods like prednisone all of which are often needed at the time however prevention is the most reliable form of treatment available
For our mare we took her off of high content alfalpha hay and she gets Timothy hay (grass hays) I check her hay for musky smells mold and sometimes soak it before feeding to reduce dust I also took her off oats and grains (dusty) and feed her a pelleted food I add cocoasoya oil to this for added protiens and fats and it also reduces the dust factor .. She is on good quality wood chips for bedding and I keep her in an environment(barn) that has minimal dust and mold factors..I give her 30cc of Airwaves and 15 cc of lung flush a day and if the weather is humid or we are under smog alert there are days that if she is showing or working I will give her an extra 30 to 60 cc of Airwaves.. It is a liquid herbal mixture.. the horse loves it I syringe it in her mouth and she laps it up .. it costs me approx 45 to 50 /month ( I buy the lg size cheaper by far) to treat her however it is cheaper than the vet costs I was incurring everytime I turned around not to mention my time nursing her .. Airwaves acts like a broncho dialator and helps open up the airways also helps to clear mucus from airway Lung flush increases blood flow to the lungs helping oxygen exchange, removing toxins and mucus from the lungs also supports healthy lung tissue .
Our mare occassionally coughs and sometimes has slight clear nasal discharge. Once in awhile I will hear a weeze. However I see and hear that with any horse .... She has actually been shown and continues to do very well even in the humid weather ...
I showed my vet the product info before using it.. He had no problem with me using it thought it might be a good thing and it has turned out to be just that ..
Talk to your vet about COPD he/she should be able to offer you insight and show them the product info that will probably make you feel better about giving it .. I lerned about this product by word of mouth and often pass the insight along as it has helped us greatly.
Here is a website with COPD info http://www.recoveryeq.com/copd_horses_pro.htm
Good Luck
Kathy }}

melissa
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,
I spoke to soon. Dixie the appaloosa mare had a nasty thick yellow stuff coming out of her nose last night. I went to feed on Sat morning she was fine, but Sat night yellow stuff was coming out of both nostils. I called the vet, he said she just got off of two weeks of medications on Wed. He told me to stall her away from the others. I gave her cough free power last night and this morning. Her nose is not running yellow stuff today. What is going on with this mare? The vet culture her nasty nose the other week nothing, but cold stuff.But Sat it was yellow stuff last time it was light green like a cold stuff. The vet is guessing she might have strangles now, she tested neg the other week, plus we gave the strangles shot on Jan 13, 2006. The vet wants me to call him today about her. The vet thinks she might need to be flush out and stay few night a few nights with IV. I hate to see what that bill would be.I hate to send this mare in not knowing what is going on. We have spend more on her beening sick then she cost to begin with. What all do you think? I have two mares going to foal April and May I don't want to take the change of her giving the foals something, but we are about to run out of money to pay for her. Has anyone when through this with their horses. She runs in the pasture and eats great, but ever now and then her nose will run with nasty stuff. She has not cough lately.We would like to see her get well and stay well she is only 12-13 yrs old. I haven't had one be sick like this with this stuff.
THANK YOU,
melissa

melissa
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 110
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,
WE HAVE LEARN OUR LESSON,DON'T BUY A HORSE FROM SOMEONE YOU DON'T KNOW. THE GENTLEMAN WANT TAKE HER BACK OR GIVE US ANOTHER HORSE OR OUR MONEY.Sad part is she is very sweet. The gentleman didn't take good care of her, but she loves people and children.
THANKS Melissa

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10493
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've moved the discussion about Strangles to a new location on this bulletin board. Please continue discussion of that topic there, and limit discussion under this thread to the thread topic - movement in the flanks!

Thanks!! :-)

(Message edited by Jos on March 01, 2006)

Paula Rollins
Neonate
Username: Paula

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare that I purchased in October that was supposed to be bred. When the guy I bought her from delivered her he said that he had walked past the stallion and she was acting like she was in season. He offered me a rebread this spring or 200$ less in the price. So all this time I have thought that she was not pregnant, I am thinking that she is now. She is about 8 months along if she is. My question is, her side is moving in her flank area and her udder seems to be larger. At what point in the pregnancy would you be able to see the movement of the baby? And when would you see udder inlargement.She is not very big belly wise but does look fuller? This would be her 2nd foal if she is indeed pregnant.Please tell me if I am just seeing things or would this possibly be good news?

Gynna Meiller
Breeding Stock
Username: Jw_kings_excalibur

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Without pics its hard to tell hun.
Bag developement can start 6 to 8 weeks prior to foaling( my maiden started 7 weeks ago and my matron mare started last week and is FAST catching up..lol)
Watch her lower belly at feeding time or when drinking cold water. It seems to stimulate the foal into moving and you can start to see it kicking and moving around a bunch. I see movement in mine at about 8 months and it will increase as the foal gets bigger...

Paula Rollins
Neonate
Username: Paula

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am taking her in on Friday to be palpated, I will get some pictures and let you know. I am keeping my fingers crossed! If she is I will be sooooo happy! I will feel bad that I haven't been doing anything for her special, but I will try and make up for it! Thanks

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 162
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fingers crossed for you paula.

Wow - I went to feed today, and that little baby is trying to climb right out through her stomach Im sure!!! How she can not even flinch when he bangs around in there like that I will NEVER know. I hope he calms down once we get him on the ground! ( I say he, I hope its a filly, but I just have this feeling......hmmmm)

Lively little fellow - Are they normally this lively with 10 and a half weeks to go?

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 402
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep, and it seems as if you see more of it now even though they are bigger in there, you would think it would be a tight move--but that is probabally why we see more movement now , than earlier. They are taking up more room making them closer to the surface. ?? Just my observations and personal experience too.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 163
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks kim k. Its great fun to feel - Reassuring too in a funny way, At least you know its still in there!! : ) Tomorrow I will take off her rug and watch for it moving too - I have had her rug on all week apart from at the vets visit, so Id like to give her a breather and see it rolling around in there too.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 403
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its even a neater experience when its your own body! :-)

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 209
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ditto kim k.!
I do really enjoy watching Tsaharahs stomache distort...she hates it, she pisns her ears and occasionally squeals at the big movements!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US