SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

I need facts!!!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » I need facts!!!! « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted From: 205.188.117.12
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a filly that is 2 years old, she is not rideable (broke her knee) She is registered out the ying yang... She will never be ridable, and was bought only for breeding.

I need hard proven facts of problems with breeding a young mare... she cant grow, she cant..... I need facts not why do you want to breed etc.. This is not about money, but more this is one mare and it is always good to learn information for future situations as well..

This mare would be 3 when she foaled! She is a calm, quiet, sweet mare-- not crazy at all, and dont think that she would do anything stupid- as soom mares you might think would!

anyone? Everyone?!

I love links to factual information sites!!!!
Learn, learn, learn!!!

thanks guys

Anonymous

Posted From: 65.213.63.17
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 04:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally do not like to breed any mare until they are done growing. That may be 3,4,or even 5. When a young mare is in foal, she has less nutrients for her own growth because she is supporting her foal. I also feel that most (not all) horses are not mentally mature enough at 2 years old to handle the breeding process, pregnancy and foaling.

However, I did have a 2 year old mare that was bred unintentionally when a gate was left unlatched and a stallion got out. She was checked by the vet and confirmed in foal by ultrasound. The vet assured us she would likely have an uneventful pregnancy and delivery, so we left her in foal. She did deliver a healthy foal, but at 9 months of age now, he is a good 4-6 inches shorter than the other foals born the same week. This mare was 14 hands as a 2 year old when she was bred, and she is still 14 hands now as a coming 4 year old. We expected her to top 15 hands. She simply stopped growing.

Perhaps coincidental, maybe not. If your filly is only going to be broodmare, why not give her another year to finish growing. I would also make sure her knee injury is not going to be a problem when she is carrying the extra weight of a foal. JMO, good luck!

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have only bred once and the foal is not born yet, plus my mare is going to be 18 by the time she has had the foal, so I cannot attempt to answer your question about her age - but as anonymous stated above, I would check that knee to make sure it can cope with the stress of supprting a broodmare! : )

Good luck

E Watkins
Weanling
Username: Evie

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We often breed two year old mares, though our goal IS to produce smaller horses. It has taken us several years of selective breeding to consistantly get the smaller horses but it's worked well for us. For the record, we've never had any difficulty with this. If you think about it, in the wild, even as yearlings sometimes they will breed and do alright (though I certainly would not recommend doing that) Also, if our mares are particularly small, we do wait till they are 3 y/o's to breed them the first time.

Magic1
Neonate
Username: Magic1

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no reason for pregnancy to make a mare stop growing permanently unless she is not fed the proper nutrients. You must make allowances for the amount of nutrients (protein, minerals, vitamins, calcium) she would need to grow, plus the amount she would need as a broodmare. I would never breed a 2 year old, but I can understand your problem with a mare that can never be ridden. I expect my broodmares to pay their way.
Usually a maiden mare will have a smaller foal just because it is natures way of protecting the mare from more than she can handle at foaling time, but the foal should catch up to the others if fed correctly. I raised an orphan and when I weaned my foals that year, no one could tell the orphan from the others in size. I didn't think it was such a big deal, but other people sure were surprised that he turned out so big and healthy.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US