SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Pregnant mare eating wood

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Pregnant mare eating wood « Previous Next »

Kathee McGuire
Nursing Foal
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 5 yr old maiden mare nearing her 9th month. She has recently taken to eating wood which is not her usual behavior. I know this means she is lacking something...I was hoping someone had some thoughts. She weighed about 1,100 pounds before breeding and she is offered 10 - 11 pounds of grain per day which she seldom finishes now. I switched her over to Omelene 300 3 weeks ago (about the time the chewing began). She is turned out on rye grass 3 times a week and has unlimited access to bermuda hay. She has a salt lick and a mineral block. I have recently taken to feeding her smaller portions multiple times per day. She was not finishing her feed and then starving at the next feeding, but not finishing it either. She does not seem to be crazy about the Omelene, but i have heard that it is a really well balanced feed. This feed has also made her very gassey - not sick - she has no trouble getting rid of it! Her weight is good. If you didn't know she was pregnant, she looks like she is just overconditioned (nice word for fat). She has not started the buldging sides yet. Any thoughts?

Kassie Finley
Weanling
Username: Jkqh

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When our mare started eating wood we put out a mineral block and that stopped it. Now we keep a mineral block out all the time. It seems to do the trick. I see them lick it all the time.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 218
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 04:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it started the same time of the switch to the omelene 300 I would consider switching back and see if the problem stops. Omelene is a pellet correct ?? I have heard some equine that have trouble with pelets as they don't chew the same as they do with other forms of grain. So their natural chewing resorts to chewing other things. If she stops by switching her back to what she was getting ... problem solved, if no you know it was not the change and need to search for other. Also if she is standing around more, being bored can cause them to do the same. Hang a few toys... don't need to be store bought , a empty milk jug, 2 liter pop bottles work good too, balls.

Kathee McGuire
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 06:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim - Great ideas. I will try the toys tomorrow and if that doesn't help, I'll try the feed. Omelene isn't a pellet, it is a mixed grain, but it is definately different from her regular feed.
Kassie - I may buy her a new mineral block exclusively for her stall at night. I know at least one of them uses the block, but I never see any of my three actually licking it.

Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone ever heard of harvesting eggs from a mare?

Alex Abel
Weanling
Username: Paintedhorses

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its wierd, but my broodmares all just started chewing on the trees in their paddock all the sudden. They have been in the same paddock forever now but just started this about a week ago. They are turned out on pasture during the day. In the paddock they have access to a roundbale and 2 mineral blocks. All the preggies are fed 3.5 pounds of a 14% pellet twice a day. I havent changed anything in their diet. It puzzels me why they are doing that all the sudden. All the mares have been in this paddock on and off for the past 3 years.

Kathee McGuire
Yearling

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 11:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alex - I started this post and my only input is that my mare finally stopped as suddenly as she started. I did give her a toy to play with (gallon milk container tied to a hay string and hung from the barn rafters). I never see her play with it, but it is the only change I made.

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ALEX AND KATHEE-MY MARE BEGAN CHEWING ON WOOD YESTERDAY ALSO! HASNT IN THE PAST. SHE TOO HAS MINERALS AND LOTS OF HAY...I WONDER IF IT IS A WAY TO COUNTERACT THEIR UNCOMFORTABLENESS?!?!?!??
WHEN ARE YOUR MARES DUE, I WONDER IF THERE IS A PATTERN LIKE DUE AROUND THE SAME TIME.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 310
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if chewing releases endorphynes(sp) like a baby sucking on a pacifier ? I believe that for a horse that sucks wind that is true, wonder if its true for wood chewing ??

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine too - Has been for about a month now - She too has minerals, supplement in her feed and lots of good hay and 3acres of grass...

Gave her toys but it didnt help - So have just left her to it...!?

Alex Abel
Weanling
Username: Paintedhorses

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One mare is due around the 21th of Feb, one is due around 28th of Feb, the next is due mid march and the last is due around mid May.( Those dates are estimates, that I calculated from the birth dates of last years foals ) All of them except the mare that already foaled have been chewing on the trees. And I am not talking about just a little nibbling. They have already chewed off all the bark on three trees.
On a completely different note, breeding season has officialy started at our ranch TODAY. I bred our sorrel tovero ( double homozygous for tobiano and black ) to our black overo stallion today. YAY.

Kathee McGuire
Yearling

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine is due the end of March/begining of April. She started chewing about a month ago and has pretty much stopped now. I even e-mailed the Purina people to see if they had any answers and they did nothing but assure me the Omelene 300 was a complete feed and she should not need anything else. They were too worried about protecting their product to offer any real assistance or suggestions. I have not been able to find any information directly connecting wood chewing to pregnancy. After everyone's responses, I am convinved there is one!

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mINE IS ALSO DUE END OF MARCH EARLY APRIL. i AM FEEDING NUTRENA YOUTH AS A MAIN DIET WITH SOME OATS AND ALFALFA PELLETS SINCE OUR HAY HAS VERY LITTLE.
MAYBE MINE WILL STOP TOO, I HWOULD HAT FOR HER TO TEACH IT TE EVERYONE ELSE!!! I DONT NEED MY ALMOST 10 MONTH LEARNING THAT!!
MAYBE SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE SOME INPUT...THIS IS DEFINEATELY INTERESTING!

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 05:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mine due mid-may

Dancing Sparrow
Neonate
Username: Dancingsparrow

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[When our mare started eating wood we put out a mineral block and that stopped it. Now we keep a mineral block out all the time. It seems to do the trick. I see them lick it all the time.]

I was going to say the same thing. We have mineral blocks out for all over out horses. She most likely eating it because it contains something her body needs. Mineral blocks work wonders.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US