SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Term Mare With Bowl Twisted Over Uterus ... Jos Help!!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Term Mare With Bowl Twisted Over Uterus ... Jos Help!!! « Previous Next »

Emma
Yearling
Username: Emma

Post Number: 84
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please Help! I have a term mare (only days off foaling) who i thought was going into labor last night, that is untill she started rolling violently. I rang the vet as i susspected that we had a breach foaling, when he arrived he had a feel around only to discover her bowl had some how worked it's way over her uterus. He is a very compatent equine vet and he said he has never seen any thing like this in his whole vetrinary life. She has stopped thrashing about this morning but her bowl is still where it's not meant to be. We have now been confronted with three options, surgery (the mare is 18yo and he said that the odds aren't good) besides that it is way out of our reach finacially. Option two is to induce foaling and hope that once the mass is gone from her uterus the bowl will correct itself and option three is to put the mare down.
I have opted for option two, and it will be done at lunch time today, as you can imagine i am a little worried about things going very wrong. Just tell me i have exhausted all options and i am doing the right thing!!!

Cindy Moore
Neonate
Username: Chorse_1998

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let us know how everything goes......Cindy Moore
}

Gynna Meiller
Yearling
Username: Jw_kings_excalibur

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh hun! I am sorry you and your mare are going through this. I will be praying for you and i think you have doen the right thing by her and yourself. If you did not try you would always be second guessing youself. I have a feeling things will be okay. Cant wait to see the new foal! Maybe things will work out before you hve to induce. Be thankful that she is a term mare too!

Lisa Green
Neonate
Username: Lisa

Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 03:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Emma,
I sure hope Honey pulls through ok, I think you are definately doing the right thing and shes in good hands with Paul. Best of luck with her and let us know how she goes! I'll be round to see your new baby next week! Lisa

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10405
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, this is an area where we are really unable to provide assistance or advice, as there are so many variables that only the examining veterinarian would be privy to. :-(

There are significant risks in inducing foaling, so although it may be the route to go, induction in itself is not without its own risks.

All I can suggest is that if you are uncomfortable with the decision, seek a second opinion from someone who is able to evaluate the mare - perhaps your local veterinary teaching university.

Good luck!

Rooty (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 69.17.167.38
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, that's awful. I hope everything works out OK. Please let us know.

Emma
Yearling

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey every one, I have been posting updates on the foal watch disscution board but for those of you who haven't been there, Honey didn't make it, she expelled her intestines as we had feared she may have. We are working on getting the foal good now. He is not looking to bad so fingers crossed.

Gynna Meiller
Yearling

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well tell us about him Emma! What color is he! How well is he doing now? What are you going to name him? What is he like?

Emma
Yearling

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 02:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK sorry, i was a bit down before when i posted that ... its a bit like a rollar coaster at the moment. He is chestnut with a white face and a white sock. We have named him Sonny, it's sounds a bit like Honey and he is her son. Just kind of fitted. I am going to post pics on my website tonight so when i'm done i will post a link to his page.

Emma
Yearling

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 04:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok here is the link ... there is Honey and his story there as well if you would like a read.
http://www.freewebs.com/redscent/ourlittleorphan.htm

Deena
Breeding Stock
Username: Morganslil1

Post Number: 204
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 06:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Emma Honey was a beautiful lady.Sonny is a little doll.It looks like your giving it your all.How does it feel to be a horse mommy?I know your probably wore out.How often do you feed Sonny? Deena

Gynna Meiller
Yearling

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 07:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH HE IS LOVELY!! Heart warming story for him. I think he is going to be one great horse too! He sounds like he is in most capable hands Emma!
Your Honey was a great looking mare and I am so very sorry that you lost her but I am glad you have gotten a chance to have a peice of her still here with you.

Rooty (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 72.56.36.121
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope he pulls through, he sure is a little cutie!

Emma
Yearling

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all, he is doing well but the Vets said day 3 is his next hurdle, aparently they can go down hill then so we will see how we go, he is really strong so fingers crossed!

Joanie Davison
Neonate
Username: Joanied

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emma,
I am so sorry for your loss. I lost a gorgeous, loving mare when she was 10 months in foal...hard enough to loose the one's we love so dearly, but even worse when there is a foal also.
Never doubt your decision to let Sonny go...he's with his mama now over the Rainbow Bridge. I hope they meet Dronita and her foal up there...I feel certain that once she entered Horse Heaven, that she gave birth.
I guess we have to deal with the heartaches that come with loving our horses so much, but they do enrich our lives so very much.
Again, my sympathy.

Pita
Neonate
Username: Pita

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emma I am so sorry for your loss what a tough decision. You did the right thing.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US