SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Breeding ponies to horses

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Breeding ponies to horses « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 06:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know whether there has been any research on breeding pony mares to large horse stallions? I heard mention once of an experiment done at a Canadian University where pony mares were bred to draft horse stallions. According to the person posting the info, it was found to be safe as far as delivery of the foal. I hope to find some good research or veterinary articles establishing safety factors to consider. If you know of any research or articles, I would greatly appreciate leads. Or if you have experience in this area, let me know what you think.
Thanks

Kim Winter
Yearling
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont really have a solid answer to help but I had heard that the mare really 'monitors (for want of a better word) the size of the foal but that it is best not to go to extremes of size...

Rooty (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 72.56.36.121
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would you want to do that cross?
My vet tells me that at one point they did an experiment where they bred Shire stallions to Shetland mares and vice versa. The foals from the Shetland mares were small, and the foals from the Shire mares were large. Unfortunately it would appear that they did not track the adult height of the offspring which would have been interesting to know.

Deborah E. Branson
Neonate
Username: Odyssey_farm

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a section A welsh stallion (11 hands) that I plan to breed to larger mares to produce large hunter ponies. I know that I can go the AI route but with the smaller of the mares I would like to try natural cover. I would like to know if there is any guidance on making the depression in the ground for the mare. How deep? How steep? Sides?

Terry O.
Yearling
Username: Ksfarmer

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dig the hole about the same depth as it is heighth between the stallion and the mare. Make the hole about three foot wide. I would also make the sides straight up and down.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10626
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would be better off breeding on a hillside if you have that option. The trouble with a dug hole is that if the mare walks out of it during the breeding process, then she "grows" while at the same time, the stallion is walking into the hole, so he "shrinks". Breeding on a hillside, if the aimals do move forward, they both get lower at the same rate.

Shades
Neonate
Username: Shades

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have bred our 10 hand pony to larger stallions for 4 years, without any problems. The first time it was to a 14.2 hand stallion, and they other times have been to our 16 hand QH stallion. Everytime she has a small-ish foal that grows like a weed for the first 6 months, and ends up lovely.

Lori
Neonate
Username: Shstables

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 17.2 hh stallion I am breeding to a 15.2 hh mare and a stock 14.2 hh mare. I have a 13 hh mare I am afraid to breed him to but she would make a lovely cross with him. I am just worried about the whole live cover thing with her. I think I would have to go AI for sure. She has had four foals but not with anything as large as my guy! Did they use AI with the horses in the experiments? How did the mares do with foaling and nursing?

(Message edited by shstables on May 07, 2006)

Megan A Brown
Yearling
Username: Fabmeg

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Maternal Effects on Growth and Conformation in Shire Horse-Shetland is a study they did in england that may be avalble at your local library in the journal PROCEEDINGS OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY OF LONDON. I couldn't find it on the internet, but it does exist in print. My univerity library has 4 copies. If I get a chance sometime this week I'll look it over for you.

AG
Yearling
Username: Tilly

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 07:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vet told me about an experiment that was carried out where thoroughbred embryo's were transferred into small pony mares. Even though the embryo's were genetically 100% horse, the ponies all delivered with no problems. The study proved that foetal size is directly related to the size of the placenta. On the downside apparently the "mini" thoroughbreds were slightly deformed

Ashley Lutz
Neonate
Username: Alutz

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, research has shown that the foal typically grows to fit the uterus but the general rule is that the stud shouldn't be more than 2 hands bigger than the dam.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US