SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Difficult breeder.

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Difficult breeder. « Previous Next »

Lisa Weir
Yearling
Username: Pals_pal

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 06:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are currently dealing with a mare who is difficult to say the least.

As a maiden, she got in foal first cover and delivered a lovely colt...all text book. That's the end of her being easy.

She took about 3 months to cycle after foaling. We ignore foal heat, so can't even be certain if she had that. But lutalyse was used (there was evidence of a CL at one stage) with no effect. When she finally did cycle, she missed first cover and cycled normally next time, and got in foal that time.

At around 8 months she aborted and has had few cycles this year. She started really late and has had 3 covers...with oxytocin following the last 2. We changed stallions for the last cover, but only because the one she was going to is old and finding cover very difficult. We'll know if she took this time in a couple of days, but I must say, I'm not confident.

The thing that I'm curious about is thyroid. I've read a bit about it here, but never seen a mare with a problem. All the usual things have been ruled out with this mare and I wonder if anyone could tell me what to look for. We are considering a blood test, but I'd like to know as much as possible about this and any other, less obvious things to look for.

Jennifer Demski
Nursing Foal
Username: Jennifer_d

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lisa,

I can't be of great help here, but I can tell you this... My mare was discovered to have VERY low thyroid levels and I had no indication except she was a fairly easy keeper. I too had problems with her. She came also came into season very late this spring, and was bred consistantly and correctly by AI, but never took. I'm no expert on low thyroid, but I really didn't notice anything that would have led me to believe she was low thyroid except she wouldn't settle. I'd get the blood test done. Good Luck.

Jennifer Demski
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops! should have edited that one better.

Lisa Weir
Yearling

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 06:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jennifer! This mare only has to sniff food to put weight on.

We had her preg tested today...she's still empty, and will now stay that way until next year as her boyfriend has moved to the USA for the next 6 months or so.
I'll talk to the owner and see if I can convince him to do the test. She's such a good mare in every other way.

Heather Dwire (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 69.220.142.7
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lisa and Jennifer,
I also have a mare I have been trying to get bred and she did not take all season in 2005 from March to October! I am crushed as she is a special horse to me and my family and I would love for her to have a baby for us. She also only needs to sniff food to gain weight and has had four foals in the past and was an excellent mother. Is there a treatment for the thyroid problem or should I just move on and enjoy her as a nice riding mare?
Thanks,
Heather

Jennifer Demski
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Treatment...ABSOLUTLY! I am using Thyro-L to treat my mare, and I know others who have had success using it. My vet is confident she will take this year as she is sound in every other department. If she has had other foals in the past, you might want to consider a breeding soundness exam. From what I understand, the more babies they have, the harder it is to concieve/carry-to-term due to uterine damage from foaling. This may or may not be your case, so a simple thyroid test is a good start for this coming season. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
Jennifer

Jennifer Demski
Weanling

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS Thyro-L is cheap I think it is around 19.00 USD for a one lb supply. Not sure how long it will last you, depends on the dose they put her on, and we started late December. My mare has shown improvement in the attitude dept, and lost some weight. I am hopeful that the next pull will be in the normal range! We are looking for a 20 to a 22...she was a 9

Lisa Weir
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 105
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the owner has asked for the test, but the vet wasn't too happy about it. He basically told me it was rare enough not to bother, but took the blood anyway, as the owner requested it.

Is there a link to any good articles on this? I feel if I could show him something about this, he may look into it a little more for future reference.

Looking back, we have had a few really fat mares that just would not take and we just put it down to the age old thing of fat mares not being as fertile. Maybe that's because their thyroid function was dodgy?

Cindy Moore
Nursing Foal
Username: Chorse_1998

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had problems with my 22 year old mare settling also. I had the T4 test done in late April and it came back a 9 - right in the middle of normal. Bred her on May 22, u/s in foal June 10 - or what we thought was the foal - and also was put on Regumate May 28 - older mare and had lost 2004 foal. By July we decided what we were seeing on the u/s was not a foal and stopped regumate. I had read all the posts concerning thyroid problems on the equine repro site and decided to try the Thyro-L. My vet was very skeptical but did get me in a jar of it. My mare cycled twice and settled on the 2nd time. U/s at 90 days and foal is still there!!! My vet is not skeptical anymore.
I have asked why there has not been a study done of thyroid problems on hard to get in foal mares and the answer is that no one mare is the same as far as why the low thyroid. So..........anyway I will continue to use the Thyro-L and have babies out of this mare. She is foundation bred very well and I just love her 2 year old colt that I have and want a filly now!!
Cindy Moore
}

beth freeman
Neonate
Username: Biffawaffa

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi cindy moore , I also have a 23 year old foundation mare that im trying to get into foal...just fell in love with her, she's very calm and loving will do anything to please u. What is a t4 test? My vet is going to start all the tests on her this month before i put her threw this( dont want to lose her) My husbad and i where even thinking about getting a egg and putting it in anouther mare. Its nice to see someone else doing the same thing, let me know how it goes

Lisa Weir
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 05:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just searching for info about this and found this site.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=189&A=1931&S=0

It is a little scary! Particularly about what happens if you supplement a mare who doesn't need it.

Jennifer Demski
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy,

I am wondering about a score of 9 on the thyroid test. My vet thought this was VERY low, but yours said it was in the middle of normal. Have any info on the scoring levels. Maybe Jos could answer this one??

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10425
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best way for me to address this is to point you at BET Labs web site in Kentucky. Click on the logo with the US flag on it that is at the left, and then on the next page, click on "Equine" that appears in the flag-bearing logo at the top of the page. Then in the next page, click on "Equine T4 Normals" in the menu on the left. Sorry to be so convoluted, but it's a "frames" site, so it's difficult to send you to the page directly without losing the benefits of other links on the site. The chart you finally reach shows the normal ranges for various categories of animals.

Lisa Weir
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 114
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 05:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are the parameters the same in the US as for Australia....coz our mare is 10.3 and the norm acoording to that site is 12-30 for an open mare.

The vet hasn't got back to us on this but I was told the norm for a horse was between 10 and 28.

I'm soooo confused...

The other question I have is ...would supplementing her with kelp (for iodine) help?

Sandy D
Breeding Stock
Username: Sbr_appaloosas

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a site available that can give you some indication of some of the outward symptoms of either low T4 levels or high T4 levels?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US