SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Whats the easiest way to tell if a mare is in heat, and can you make her 'go ...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Whats the easiest way to tell if a mare is in heat, and can you make her 'go in it'???? « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted From: 59.167.64.245
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its summer here, and i want to get a foal out of my mare, but i need her serviced soon, as the stallion i have in mind has a few other mares in line, so i want my mare to come into season soon, so i can get in before everyone else so i dont have to wait very long. i've been told that they wink when theyre in heat, but do they wink all the time? or just when they pee??
can you do anything to make them come into heat??
thank you

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10389
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you review the articles section of this web site, you will find several articles that should answer all of your questions.

Anonymous

Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 06:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for that jos, but i didnt get an answer that i could find, ive been told that the mare 'winks' when in heat, does this happen all the time throughout the day, or just when she pees??
because my mares will pee, and then walk around the paddock for a about 5 minutes winking.
is she in heat?????

Emma
Yearling
Username: Emma

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 07:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have other horses in with her or near her? when a mare is in heat she will seem to 'pee' a lot more frequently. You will see her squat (normally near a gelding/stallion) and she will look like she is going to pee but she will only pass a small amount of fluid and then she will wink. (Mares will wink after they urinate as well so you can't judge just by the winking). The difference is that when in season she will squat frequently and normally only around the gelding/stallion. (i might add that mares in heat that have been squating a lot get a very smelly musty smell about them) So if there is a gelding in the paddock next door she may go to the closest point in her paddock to him and stand there and squat for him. If you don't have any other horses around then it will be hard for you to judge if she is in season or not and you may need to go get her examined by a vet to determin where in her cycle she is.

Anonymous

Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes i have her in with a 2 1/2 yr old mare, and an aged mare in a paddock behind her. but there is no gleding/stallion around at all. my mare will do as you said, shell look like shes going to pee, but she only does a little bit, then she walks the fences for ages winking.

Anonymous

Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so do you think she might be in heat??

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10394
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Without a teaser animal, you cannot be sure what the status of your mare is - indeed, even with a teaser animal it can sometimes be difficult.

As Emma suggested above, your best route would be to have a vet evaluate her.

Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for about 3 days she left my 2 1/2 yr alone, stopped chasing it, and trying to kick it, even let her eat from her hay.( i usually have to make two piles)
and yesterday and today shes worse then ever! i walk over to my oldest one( the one thats being nasty) and she wont let me pet her, instead shell turn to my youngest and chase her even if their on opposite sides of the paddock!
shes never been this nasty. and i dont know why shes like this now. please help!!

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10398
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we've assisted you about as much as we can here. It is almost impossible to tell you what is going on without seeing the mare and your setup. Any suggestions made here are going to be less than reliable simply because we can't see the overall situation.

So - once again - call your vet!

Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 08:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well sorry for bothering you all then.
i didnt want to go to the vet because they know nothing either. always telling me they will try to find out. but they never do.

Emma
Yearling
Username: Emma

Post Number: 71
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You need to change vets then. The vet need to do a internal on the mare as well ... not just look at her ... like i said change vets.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10399
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 09:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No bother, but it would be remiss of us to mislead you by telling you something that wasn't even close to the truth because we don't have all the facts!

And as Emma says - you might want to find another vet if that is the problem you are facing!

Kassie Finley
Nursing Foal
Username: Kassie

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my mares will treat the other mare like she is a stallion and will even stand for her. It is very funny. But she also gets very moody, and difficult to handle during this time. But on my other mares I can't tell very well when they are in heat so I just take them to the vet and my vet tells me if she is in heat and around how long until she will ovulate. the other option is find someone that has a gelding and ask if you could tease her with him, and take her to the gelding/stallion. Since you already have a stallion picked out I would just take her to the stallions farm and leave her and let the stallion owner cover her for you. That will take all guessing out. we always just have our vet check them since we do a pre breeding exam before they are serviced anyhow.

Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh ok i misunderstood, i thought you were sayin to have a vet come, wich i would have to get from an hour away(my local vet doesnt deal in horses)for them to just straight out tell me if shes in season, i didnt know they would be able to tell when she will come in to heat, thats y i wanted to avoid them, but yes, i will get them in then, it seems worth it now.

sorry for seeming difficult, with a teaser what reactions do you look for?

Kassie Finley
Nursing Foal
Username: Kassie

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh you will know. she will swish her tail. be very vocal, and even look like she is standing for the stallion (given she is ready). She will act very different from any other time she is around a horse.

Anonymous

Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i took her to a gelding, and tryed teasing her over the fence, she stood there with her tail up, she kept giving low grumbles, and the occasional high pitched whinny, and the gelding stretched as far over the fence as he could, but kept his neck arched, and spomped a little sniffing her rear, her flanks, and her neck.
is this the reaction i was looking for?

Kim Winter
Yearling
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps some more in depth research might help before you breed your mare - Im guessing its your first go? There is plenty of info on the net and I got some cheap books from ebay and even called some breeders/studs for advice, they tended to be very helpful - Only by this stage it would be useful to know about heat cycles, estrus and anestrus (sp?) and different types of breeding etc.

Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

im trying to learn, this is something i really want to do

Kim Winter
Yearling

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just out of interest - What is the reason you are beeding your mare? I started in april, pretty much in the same boat as you are in, I had been thinking about it for a while though and decided that I wanted to bring up a foal, positive that I could train it well and bring up a lovely well mannered horse out of my girl - purely for the experience and my own foal. I was just curious why you want to it?

Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i want to because my mare is such a loving girl(just not to other horses, shes very dominant)
(i read in the other thread, a dominant mother creates a submissive foal)
anyway i want i breed my mare because, i want another horse thats like my mare, shes one of a kind, and alothough i know pretty well nothing about breeding, i do exel a bit in training.
the stallion that is available to me, he is a calm kind of horse, but is fairly dominant to other horses, i want a foal because i want the experience, and another horse, but i decided a foal so i can start at scratch.
have the horses full absolute trust, you can gain a horses trust that you bought at an older age, but its not the same, i want an uncondition trust, that i feel i can only get from raising a foal.
i have been thinking about this for quite a few months, and then i mentioned it my friend, and asked if he had any stallions in mind that i could use, got there, took a look at him, and the owner said i service my mare to him for free, so its all working out for me, i just dont know when shell come in heat, so ill get a vet in soon to ..palpate her??

Sandy D
Breeding Stock
Username: Sbr_appaloosas

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It does sound like your best bet would definitely be to have the intervention of a vet to let you know when your mare may be coming into heat. If the stallion owner is so willing to breed to your mare for free, then you may want to talk to the owner and see if you can take your mare to the stallion owner's barn, let them keep her there and do the teasing for you. If they own a stallion, they had better know how to tell if a mare is in heat :-)
If leaving your mare at the stallion owner's barn is out of the question, then it would definitely be best for you to call in a vet and have your mare palpated and/or ultrasounded to give you a good idea of when she will be cycling and ovulating.
But in all honesty, good old fashioned teasing with a stallion is one of the most reliable ways to know when a mare is in heat.
Has your mare ever been bred before? You should know that if your mare is a maiden (never been bred) that she may not be that easy to breed and she could have a hard time getting pregnant. There are maiden mares who do not exhibit much signs of being in heat, and there are maidens who, although they show good signs of heat, don't necessarily want to stand for the stallion to be bred.
I understand your reasons for wanting to breed your mare and to raise your own foal...you have every right to want to do that.
But you should know that breeding horses isn't as simple as finding a stallion owner who will let you breed for free and then 11 months (hopefully) later, you have this perfect, healthy foal on the ground that will love you and bond with you and be the perfect horse.
It is a lot of stress, a lot of work, a lot of money, a lot of sleepless nights, sometimes a lot of calling the vet out too. And unfortunately, sometimes a lot of heart-break.
Just be prepared :-)

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 04:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all i have to do is arrange for her to go out to the stallion, the owner just wants me to ride her horses, as they havnt been ridden for a while, im more then willing to leave her there for a while, and that will give my young mare to heal up, shes gotten quite a few kicks, time to seperate, they just dont seem like theyll ever get along, and ill have alone time to finish training my young 1 to bow
oops im getting off the subject... yes shes a maiden mare, and like i mentioned before, very dominent, so i hope she'll go ok with it!
having her pregnant, and vet checks doesnt seem so bad! i have no problem with any of it, thats how dedicated to horses i am! i cant expect to get everything easily, have to work for the good things in life! things to be proud of...
but yes, what do you think would be better? get her checked, and then send her if shes in heat, or just send her, and when shes been serviced then bring her back? what would be more convenient for the stallions owner do you think? i dont want to cause her problems

Kim Winter
Yearling

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 05:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be inclined to have the vet check her and then send her but that is generally to save on boarding cost which you wont have anyway! also you can have any swabs or breeding checks you might want done too when the vet checks for heat/follicles.
However if shes like mine - Its still awkward! Mine would be due in season but the stress of covering put her all out and the travelling too! Never been a problem before, always like clockwork... Theres alway one hey : ) Speak to the owner and see which they might prefer ?

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 06:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats a good idea!thanx for your advice!

Sandy D
Breeding Stock
Username: Sbr_appaloosas

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have her vet checked first and as Kim said, that way you could have her checked for breeding soundness at the same time, and then send her to the stallion to let the stallion owner start teasing her with the stallion. Once she is serviced, you might want to leave your mare there for at least 20 days so the stallion owner could check her back with the stallion to see if she returns to heat. That would save you a lot of time on taking your mare back and forth in case she doesn't settle on the first try. If your mare doesn't come back into heat, then you could either take her home and have the vet out to ultra sound to see if she is pregnant, or have the vet go to the stallion owner's and check her there.
Also, make sure your mare is current on her dewormings and vaccinations BEFORE breeding...you don't want to introduce anything into her body for the first 90 days of pregnancy.
Once your mare does become pregnant, try your best to educate yourself on the foaling process and the problems that can arise during foaling. Make sure that you are on clear terms with your vet that you may need to call him/her during the middle of the night if something goes wrong and make sure that the vet is willing to come on a moment's notice. Nothing is worse than waiting 11+ months for a foal and have something go wrong during the foaling process and run the risk of losing your foal and/or mare because you don't know what to do in an emergency or you have a vet who is unwilling to come when you really need them.
Getting your mare bred is just the beginning, but you have almost a year to learn and research everything you can to make sure you have a successful foaling :-)

Anonymous

Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 09:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and after ive just been a full PAIN IN THE @$$!!!
i decide ill wait till im more prepared, ive run into some money problems, and had to dig into into my savings (i had for vet bills, and what not for the horses pregnancy) its dissapointing, but id rather wait then run into trouble, and lose my mare! ( my vet, is that rediculous, THEY WILL NOT LOOK AT ANYTHING, NO MATTER WHAT UNLESS YOU HAVE MONEY RIGHT THERE AND THEN, they really are a lousy vet, i went through half a week, worrying sick about my dog, (she constantly limped around, crying, and whining, and was restless, but i knew she hadnt broken any legs or anything, coz she didnt always limp, just on occassions) cause i didnt get paid for another week, and they flat out refused to look at her, until i got paid!!! i could not beleive it, so i drove her an hour, to another vet, who are actually dedicated to the job, not just in it for the money, and they said they will bill me.
my mare is way to important to me to lose her! so i will wait, but thank you everyone for your help, i do really appretiate it very much!!!
sincerly...anonymous!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US