SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare acting........... well crazy..... HELP!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Mare acting........... well crazy..... HELP! « Previous Next »

Kassie (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.109.46.51
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We bought a Palomino mare and she is 14 years old never had a foal. The man you bought her from owned her since she was 2 years old. He told us recently (past 2 or 3 years) she has acted like a mare in season year round. We brought her home and she has chosen my sorrel mare as her so called Stud. she raises her tail, winks, and looks like she is bracing in front of my mare. She is so concerned about this mare that she is distracted from eating, (she does eat once or twice a day for a few minutes, but mostly just stands with her butt facing my mare). My questions is, if we where to breed her would this help at all? Does the reason she acts like this due to the fact she never had a foal and has that maternal desire? I have no idea what to do for her. Is it possible for her to be in season in December?

Thanks
Kas

Anonymous

Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about horses to have a clue. BUT, the picture you painted with that paragraph had me absolutely cracking up.
Good luck with her!

Emma
Yearling
Username: Emma

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kassie. Does she come out of season or does she appear to be in season 24/7? If she does come out of heat and is doing a normal cycle then breeding her might be your answer, but breeding a foal from her to try and correct the behavouir might not be a great idea unless you are equiped and knowledgeable enought to deal with a pregnant mare and the resulting foal. Some mares will cycle all year round. Maybe you could talk to a vet, they may be able to help you with some sort of hormone treatment or maybe even try some of the herbal remadies around. I had a lady look at putting our stallion over her mare who was behaving similar to your mare. Luckily she gave the herbal remadies a try and it seems to have settled those raging hormones down, now she doesn't have the extra expense, stress & worry of having to breed her mare and then contend with a foal. If she appears to be in season all the time, that is NOT normal and you would be advised to get a vet to look at her as there is probably more than meets the eye.

Beverly Outlaw
Yearling
Username: Outlawpaints

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kassie,

We had a mare that lost a foal 2 yrs ago in Aug. she wanted a baby sooo bad. Well she came in season in Sept and stayed that way. finally in January it was so pittiful watching her wanting a baby so bad, we put her with our stallion and she just delivered a healthy colt a week ago. She is 20 yrs old and has had many foals before she came to us, but she is the best mother you could ask for.

Also my husband had a "crazy" palomino paint mare that would rear up act all crazy when you ride her and just act like she had PMS all the time. Well we bred her to our stallion and now she is the best horse we have to ride.

so certainly it can fix it for some horses, but like Emma said if you don't think you can have the extra stress of a foal coming, try something else first. Good Luck and let us know what happens...

Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for your advice. We are familiar with the foaling as we have had two in the past, and we are breeding two of our mares this next year. It's just that we did not buy this mare for breeding purposes she was just a very sweet mare and we wanted her for my mother to ride since she is not experienced with horses. This mare is a very very nice mare. sweet, willing, and loving. She does seem to act normal part of the time lol. So I guess she is going out of season. but she is acting in season right now and really crazy. but she does fine when riding it is just in the pasture she acts desperate lol. Poor thing I feel so very sorry for her. She is only grade and part Tennessee Walker/Quarter Horse. she has an awsome gait smooth smooth smooth. I have two stud colts that are 7 months and 11 months now. One is a Cremello double registered quarter Horse/Paint and double bred Blondies dude we will be offering to stud in 2007 but if I breed her I don't want to wait that long, I would rather just breed her this next year but I don't want to pay a ton for a stud fee. We may keep the resulting foal or keep it until it is old enough to train and then sell it after we get it green broke. Anyhow I don't know what to do with her, I just feel so bad for her, she seems so sad. When we put the mare up she chose as her stud, she will stand outside the barn door all night long until we let her out. poor thing.

thanks
kassie

Gynna Meiller
Weanling
Username: Jw_kings_excalibur

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 07:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would make sure she does not have a mild grade utirne infection first or any other female ailment. I dont recomend breeding her just to stop this behavior though as you would have to breed her EVERY year to keep it under control and that makes no sense to me. I am not sure how much it cost anymore to get a mare spayed but you may want to consider that as an alternitive as well.

Lazy IDH
Neonate
Username: Lazyidh

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have to add that not necessarily would you have to breed her every year to keep her behavior under control. We had a young maiden mare here that was a flaming, brazen hussy...we bred her at four and she delivered a beautiful healthy filly, and hasn't been that way since. It was like something with the pregnancy straightened out her hormones, or simply matured her, but with her it worked. It would just be something you would have to try and see, like they say, if you're willing to put up with all that comes with foaling.

Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am taking her to the vet this week and get her checked. i am going to ask my vet about spaying her, breeding her, and hormones and see what she recomends. I will let you know after her apointment.

Thanks
kassie

Rooty (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 69.17.167.38
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marbling and Regumate are other options as well.

Kassie Finley
Neonate
Username: Kassie

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well we took Kadi to the vet today and she is indeed in heat. The vet said she may just be one of these mares that cycles all year. anyhow they gave her an exam and she is healthy and she told us we could put her on Regumate or we could try to breed her. so we are still trying to decide. She is a very nice mare and I think she would produce a nice foal. But I just don't know what to do right now. But if we do breed her it will not be until spring 2006. do any of you think breeding her might help this problem?

Thanks
Kassie

Beverly Outlaw
Yearling
Username: Outlawpaints

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi Kassie,

I won't say that it will cure all horses, but like I said about our Palomino mare that was just crazy all the time, pretty much acted the same way you are talking about and we bred her to kind of straighten her out with her hormones and it worked. We had my brother's kids down for thanksgiving and some of these kids have never ridden and she was the best horse out of all of them. Sometimes i think their hormones get out of wack just like ours do. LOL. Good luck in whatever you decide....

Emma
Yearling
Username: Emma

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 05:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reason putting them in foal sometimes straightens the hormones out is because once pregnant hormones in the body change (just like people) and they don't go back the way they were after having the baby. This could work for you Kassie although it is not fool proof. I have a TB mare here that was always a little hard to ride, we put her in foal (not to straighten her out but because she is a lovely put together mare) The nice surprise that wen't along with this was that her temprement evened out and she bacame a lot more laid back and placid. I don't know wether it is possible or not but could putting her in foal unbalance her hormones even more? Joss?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US