SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Slipped Foal?? When Should She be Bred??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Slipped Foal?? When Should She be Bred?? « Previous Next »

Renee
Breeding Stock
Username: Reneec

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 06:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,
I have a couple of questions that i would love to hear other peoples opinions on. Any input would be great! Thanks

1. I had a mini mare bred this season to an outside stallion from November 5th until November 12th. She was due to come back into season on the 26th November, but didnt. We waited until 4th December to be sure (allow for any variations in heat) and she still hadnt come in, so i went and picked her up. Her next season after the 26th November, would be this weekend, 17th December. This mare is usually like clockwork, but she came into season on 12th December. What would cause her to be thrown out a week in her cycle? Could she have caught, then slipped the foal and been back in season this quick? Are there any other reasons for it. I took her back to the stallion, so she is being rebred as we speak, and i am leaving her there for two heat cycles to be sure this time. Any thoughts.

2. I have a mare that foaled two weeks ago tomorrow (1st December). She had a very quick foaling, and was in quite alot of pain afterwards. She was on penicillan and antibiotics for 5 days after foaling, as the vet suspected a tear, or an inverted uterus. She wasnt eating, deficating or urinating for the first 48 hours, and slowly became regular again. She is now completely back to normal, and her and the colt are healthy and happy. My question is, how long would you wait before rebreeding this mare? I am obviously letting her foal heat pass by, but should i breed her on her next heat, or leave it longer. The vet just said leave it a few cycles- any other input that might be a little more specific. I dont want to be rebreeding if it is going to cause more problems.

Thanks, Renee

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 187
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renee, could the mare that came back in season, be bred and just a false heat cycle ? We have seen that happen before. Food for thought.

Mare #2, I guess,depending on the situation at hand would wait until her 2 or third heat after her foal heat. In humans they say 6 weeks post and seeing she is recovering from a tear I would want her good and healed before making anymore trouble. You may have a little trouble breeding her as well, many mares that have experienced a tear or problems of such hate to think about being bred. Once the initial breeding takes place she will forget about it, as long as it dosn't cause any pain, or tramma, then there are those who will stand for the stallion the first try. I would say by the third cycle after her foal heat would be just fine. You could always tease her on her second heat and see if she is responsive or not. It would give you some idea how she will react to the stallion and if she is willing ... then maybe I would go for the second, but no sooner than that. So for a min of foal heat and first full heat and maybe even the second heat pass by. Then try for the third. Just my thoughts :-).... "vet said a few"
few is 3 !

Renee
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 06:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim,
Thanks for your reply.
#1 mare- I thought the same when she was first showing signs of heat, and horsing with the stallion- so i let it pass. But then she went HEAVY into heat, and was letting him try to mount her through the fence- obviously he couldnt get to her- but she would have let him breed if there wast a fence there. So i took her to her stallion, and she stood several times and let him breed. Never done that before when she's pregnant- so i assumed she wasnt. Being a mini, it is hard to get a vet that will ultrasound, and my regular vet (that will do it) was on holidays until next week. So i had to go by what she was showing me.

#2 mare- I was going to leave it her foal heat, and the next heat after that, but have never had a mare tear before, so wasnt sure just how long it would take to heal. So i will do as you say, and wait until the third heat to breed her, and see how she reacts to the stallions advances. I certainly dont want to cause more trouble for her.
Also, i will be using an unproven stallion. If he cannot settle her, would it hurt a 12yo mare, 6 foals to date, always catches and foals easily- to go empty for a year. I have heard that a mare of this age may not be so easy to get in foal if you give her a year off, and that "a healthy uterus is a pregnant uterus" Is this true? If this stallion cant settle her, should i take her elsewhere to be bred??
Thanks
Renee

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, our experiences are no different from one year to another if we generally don't have a problem with the mare. If she has been a mare that has been easy to settle then we have seen no difference in giving her a year off. She sure deserves it too. Shucks, I had a 23 year old mare that foaled for us for many years and then gave her a couple of years off as she reached that 18 point. A baby and then a year off type of thing. She did fine. Thats just our opinon. ?? Others may thing otherwise. 12 is still a reasonable age to be breeding, not something that is too old. Depending on when you want a baby it may be best to hold off the season if the unproven fellow doesn't settle her and try again next year, rather than getting a "late" baby and having to work your way back to a early one.

I think it is wise to wait on mare 2 for the third cycle. Just to make sure she is fully healed.
Good Luck
Kim

Rooty (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 72.56.36.121
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have also heard that the progesterone that is present during pregnancy helps the uterus stay healthier than it would if the mare is open. However, I don't think I would worry so much about a 12 yo being open for a year, but I don't think there is any benefit to leaving her so.

Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was given a 23yr old quarter horse mare, she is in heat all the time...should i let her breed? I have other mares that have babies at side and she tries to take them away. I have had the vet check her in and out to see if she could handle being pregnant. I just worry about her, when i got her she was 600 pounds under weight and had fly larvae all over her so im really protective of her. Should i let her get pregnant? help!!

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 189
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it is our opinoun that if a mare is healthy and she is not having any problems then we breed her. We have known many folks that have raised and bred several mares from their own stock (so they have a importance to them) and continue to breed them well into their upper teens and even early twentys. I have a friend that had a paint mare that was 23 when she had her last foal and continued to produce milk after that. She was then used for a nurse mare until almost 30.
If she appears to be in "heat" all the time there may be some difficulty. What did the vet say about the issue and her reproductive system ?
Sometimes if a mare is used to having a foal at her side she is more content to continue to do so as long as her health provides so. I would rather have a happy mare around then a grumpy one !

Anonymous

Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vet has done every test on her except a culture and that is getting done in jan 31st but so far she is doing great! Her weight is back up and she's weigh's 1250pounds..Im thinking about doing AI on her instead of the real thing, she has a hard time if u change anything around her. I dont know if she's had any babies or not ..the vet said it didnt look like she has had any.

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 190
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

?? I would weigh alot on what the vet says especially if she has never foaled. I may consider differently if she is close to twenty and never foaled

Renee
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 11:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim and Rooty,
Thanks alot for the input. It eases my mind to have other peoples opinions. I too thaught that 12 should be ok to leave enmpty, but i read somewhere on this forum that an older broodmare should be kept pregnant- so i worried a bit, as it didnt say just how old "OLD" was. LOL She is such a motherly girl, fingers crossed the stallion can settle her, but i wont stress if he cant.
THANKS AGAIN. AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US