SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mineral diffiecencies?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Mineral diffiecencies? « Previous Next »

Kim Winter
Nursing Foal
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 08:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 16hh Tb mare halfway through her prednancy and we have recently moved froma local farm to my own field, the reason I posted is because she was licking the mud until there was a whole bowl shape in the field. I have her on benivit in her dinner and she has a paddock lick but she wont use it! She is scared of the lick and its been there about three weeks now still untouched! Can anyone suggest anything else I should be thinking of!

Also, she is scared of the new barn - Its 20ftx14ft and is rubber matted with straw, hay and water - She goes in during the day for feed but not in the dark - I dont think she is using it and Im worried that even with the snow and cold she will stand out in the weather for fear of going into the barn! Any suggestions on that too?

*desperate*
Thanks!

Gynna Meiller
Neonate
Username: Jw_kings_excalibur

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try using a mineral/salt brick in her feed dish. Make sure that it contains Salinium. Our mares will sometimes chew on tree bark or roots in the later part of their pregnancy and all is fine. As far as her stall try keeping a light on for her until she gets use to her new living quarters...

Kim Winter
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gynna - I had thought of leaving a light on but I only have a petrol generator for electric but I have invested in some solar powered bulbs that apparently stay on right into the early hours of the morning so I will put some by the door and see if it helps any.

Thanks for your reply : )

Gynna Meiller
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 07:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a problem Kim hope it helps. Also, have you had her vision checked? She might have some eye problem you may not be aware of as well. Keep us poted on her pregnancy as well..

Kim Winter
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No I havent had her eyes checked its certainly something to consider but I have never noticed anything to suggest trouble with them prior to this. The stable situation is FAR better already - but Iam feeding in the light now so it could be that! She walks in and out freely but doesnt seem to be going in at all when Im not there.. Grrr.
Still counting the days until the foal is due - It is taking forever but I cant help counting! Id be glad to share with you all any experiences along the way - Its all very exciting and providing it all goes well, at the moment Id love a superb filly to do this all again with in a few years time! Mad!

Gynna Meiller
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 07:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They say if you are going to move a prego mare do it a month before she foals to get her aclimated to her new seroundings. It may be just that, she needs to get familiar with everything and comfortable with it. Is she by herself. It may be she misses her old friends and is a bit depressed. Having you come in relieves her anxiety some I am sure. Just give her a bit more time to settle in. Our expectant mares DO NOT like changes in their enviroment..

Kim Winter
Weanling

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 08:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah she is on her own and I hate it - Ive always said they should never be kept alone but I really didnt have all that many options - If she was not in foal Id get a companion/second pony but I just dont have the funds for that AND a foal! She has moved to 3 places since I have owned her and tends to settle very well - and when I first got the field I had two others for a while to help chomp that grass down but she paid no attention to them whatso ever when they came or went.
Soon she will have her little baby to keep her company anyway and I just hope time flies by inbetween!

Emma
Weanling
Username: Emma

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reason we are told to move a mare no later than 4 weeks is so that the mares body can start making 'imunities' to things in her suroundings, so that when the foal is born and has it's first drinks of colostrum, it is getting imunities it needs to protect it from the nasties that are present in that perticular enviroment. Foals are not born with a imunesystem and this is why the colostrum is so important. It is also not good to move tham any later than 4 weeks incase you bring on unessasary stress to the mare while in transit, the last thing any one needs is a mare going into labour early from being under far to much STRESS!

Kim Winter
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think she has settled really well - She was laying in the middle of the field this morning when I arrived(which scared me half to death ) I have only seen her lay down maybe 3 times in 4 years! She stayed there while I walked over to her - She had her dinner and a wash and brush in the barn today and even ate some hay while I was doing it - It seems shes actually better when she tied at the haynet tahn wandering loose - however we tried both and she ate some more hay! And then we played chase in the field for a few minutes (until I couldnt run anymore)so she had someone to play with and get a scratch. Good day there today - still no luck with the mineral block but Its there by her water so she must have found it...

Thanks for you input guys.

Kim Winter
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh and the baby bump - Its definately grown! It looks as though its mainly to one side... Is that usuall? Shes only 6mths..

Gynna Meiller
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim, what side is the foal laying on? they say if its bigger on the right its a colt, left is a filly...even our old vet says that he has noticed a trend to this but its not 100%...

Gynna Meiller
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, forgot to add that mares are pregnant in either their right or left horns not in the middle like us...They will eventualy drop into it though...so all is normal hun..as far as the salt/mineral block..if she needs it she will lick it if not dont worry she may not need it yet. The foal is about the size of a medium dog. the last three months the foal will grow VERY fast so you may want to slowly increase hay and feed but not too much and not too fast...sounds like you are doing a fine job!

Kim Winter
Weanling

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh no! I hope that Im the small percentages that throw it out - Id really like a filly : )
Of course Im not too fussy as long as something healthy is at the end of all this waiting...! I did the nail test that was on another of these posts and according to that shes a little filly but it was windy that day!
Thanks Gynna :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US