SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Filly behavoir-just curious

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Filly behavoir-just curious « Previous Next »

Terri Berwanger
Nursing Foal
Username: Terrib

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 12:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have 2 yearling fillies that we are currently breaking and both are by the same stallion. These 2 are terribly moody and when we put long lines on them they both squealed and peed all over themselves. I can't turn them out with any company as they squeal and kick the others relentlessly. Also one filly is in a pen by herself and my 8mo colt foal is in a paddock next to her, but separated by a road. When she sees him she, she sarts nickering, flicking her tail, squealing and will pee on herself. I don't think they could possibly be in season at this stage, and not every day. Also both fillies would rather back every where then lead forward and will kick you as soon as look at you. Having said all this, when you are on their backs, they are brilliant and never give you any problems other than tail flicking. Both fillies are going to be racehorses and as we aren't allowed to use regumate on racehorses here in Europe what are some options. God help them when they are gate schooling, might want to wear some water proofs! Just really curious about this behavoir exhitbited by two daughters of the same stallion. We have 4 other fillies here and they are quite normal.
Thanks
Terri

Lisa Weir
Yearling
Username: Pals_pal

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 07:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Terri,
My first question is....which stallion are they by? I ask because I am also into thoroughbreds and very interested in the little quirks some stallions throw.

As for their behaviour, I know that fillies sometimes urinate when they are frightened or distressed. They almost always squeal as if you're killing them. But I've only ever seen this in foals, never in a yearling. I assume they will eventually grow out of it, or at least be managable with very gentle handling. If they're being ridden, I think the worst is over. The first time with a girth is scary, no matter how nicely you do it.

I don't think any sort of drug or hormone is the answer. I guess it's just a case of desensitzing them as much as you can, and putting up with the rest! Bummer, eh?

LRidgeway
Yearling
Username: Laurie

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might have them checked by your Vet, some types of tumors (on their ovaries) can cause behavioral issues. I've seen yearlings come into season before and their first heats can be long and really intense.

It would be worth it to have them looked at.

Terri Berwanger
Nursing Foal
Username: Terrib

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 12:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lisa,
Both fillies are by Orpen. (I'm in Ireland). I hadn't been around any til this year.Orpen himself is a son of Lure. Funny thing is we had a filly born here this year that was exactly the same. She was a tough nut! However, now she is fine and actually very nice. You know, both girls never gave us a problem with the girth, just long lines touching their flanks. My husband does all the ground work and he is very kind and patient so we tend to get tricky horses. I never want to get on any of them, but in fairness, we have never had any problems with horses during breaking. John is very good at reading what they can handle and when.
Laurie,
This was my first thought, to call the vet about ovaries. I just thought it strange to see the same behavoir from 2 fillies by the same stallion and wanted to see other opinions. Will call the clients and see what they want to do.
Thanks
Teri

Lisa Weir
Yearling
Username: Pals_pal

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The groovy thing about you being in Ireland is the fact that we get a few shuttle stallions from there. We've had two at work.

As for these Orpen fillies....they sound quite odd, indeed. I think I'd be inclined to see a vet about them, too, if it's just about the lines touching the flanks. If it is hormonal, here's hoping it settles down as they start to cycle more regularly.
*edited out a dumb question that I knew the answer to....lol*

(Message edited by pals_pal on November 23, 2005)

Kirstin
Neonate
Username: Kirstin

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 09:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whats the stallion like? because a lot of stallions that are moody, or 'hot-headed' can pass this on to the foals he throws genetically.
but i would still get a vet to check them out.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US