SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Question

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Question « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted From: 203.221.70.56
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 03:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone had any experience with seedy toe and copper sulphate? A batch was recently given to me and I was told it would clear the seedy toe up within a few weeks. However, my farrier told me not to use it because it may make my horse go lame is this true?

Rooty (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 72.56.36.121
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would soak in Epsom salts and use Koppertox. I don't know anything about the copper sulphate.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please explain what a seedy toe is . Are there other terms for this problem ?

also for help in soaking a foot, this works very well. Take a ziploc freezer bag (freezer bags are the thickest) and put your soaking solution in the bag with some cotton balls(cotton balls help to keep the solution where you may need it-in the hoof and also you may not need to fill the bag up totally)then put the foot in the bag, and take vet wrap, and wrap it around the end of the bag up around the ankle area. Let them walk if they want, this beats trying to keep a foot in a bucket. the bag normally holds up pretty good for a good length of time.

Anonymous

Posted From: 202.168.30.91
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 03:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for your help

Lisa Weir
Yearling
Username: Pals_pal

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We use a disposable nappy...diaper in America?? and wet it thoroughly, add epsom salts or whatever solution is needed and bandage that on. If the horse is on soft ground, this lasts for days, even a week if needed. That's for an abcess, seedy toe being different, I thought you wanted to dry that out.

Seedy toe as I know it is where the hoof wall lifts away and infection sets in. It happens when the foot is wet for long periods. Our farrier cuts it away and puts a shoe on to help the horse get around till it grows out. Extreme cases are difficult, but we don't see too many of them.

Copper sulphate as a wash may be ok, but don't pack it in the hole as it is an irritant, it eats flesh.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lisa,
Thanks for explaining a seedy toe. Never delt with it before and there are some many multiple terms for a problem.
Kim

Rooty (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 72.56.36.121
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our boarder bought a horse this summer that had seedy toe, and after the farrier had cut away as much as possible she was soaked in Epsom salts daily to draw any pus that might have been left down, then Koppertox was put on.

Terri Berwanger
Neonate
Username: Terrib

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 12:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In response to Lisa above. I have a bottle in my tack room marked FLESH EATER. Had a horse with proud flesh and we used the copper sulphate.

Lisa Weir
Yearling
Username: Pals_pal

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 08:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Terri, it's great for that. That bottle sounds like something from a mad proffesor's lab. Hahaha.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US