SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Feeling movement

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Feeling movement « Previous Next »

Tammy Snell
Neonate
Username: Qcfarm

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi-
Just a quick question, I know from reading other threads that after 200 days or so it is possible to see the foal moving, my question is, is it also possible to feel movement? I can feel a distinct tapping everyonce in a while when I place my hand under the belly!

Beverly Outlaw
Weanling
Username: Outlawpaints

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tammy,

it has always been around 7 months or so for me to feel movement, but a little later to see it.. We have a mare that is due any time now and she is a VERY seasoned mare with having babies and we just started feeling movement on her last week.. I don't know if it is because we did it at the wrong time or what, but it is definetely moving now. She is 19 and due around the end of Nov. maybe first of Dec, but vet does not think she will go that long.. Her udders are full to brimming and tight.. she is one though that you know when she is about to deliver. When she drips, you can expect baby to be her within 4 - 10 hours...

How far along is your mare? when is her due date? And don't forget PICTURES!!!LOLGood Luck!

Renee
Yearling
Username: Reneec

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 09:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tammy and Beverly,
In the past I have been able to feel my mares unborn foal from about 8-9months along, and have found that when the mare is eating, drinking or just been for a bit of a run is the best time to have the most action from the foal. When the foal is within a month or so of being born, i also notice alot of movement around the tail dock while it practices getting into position... so yes it is definately possible to see the foal move.
Although i have a mare that is due around the same time as yours beverly, and i have only ever felt the foal kick once. She is quite a heavy (fat) mare, and not real active, so i wonder if this could be why. Anyway, she has dropped an udder, and is starting to prepare for foaling, but we're still a few weeks away yet i think.
Goodluck with your foaling ladies. Let us know how you go, and what you get!!
PS- have you tried the theory of wide and low for filly or colt yet? Should try it before the foal is born to see if it is accurate for you.
My mare is just big all over at the moment, so its kinda hard to tell, but i think she's wide. (Maybe cause i want a filly from her :-) )

Beverly Outlaw
Yearling

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 08:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why don't you do the nail test? it is just for fun, but it has been 100% accurate for us so far... It is just like the old wives tale for women. except for women you use your wedding ring and a piece of thread.
This is the nail test.......you get a nail and tie a piece of lightweight string or thread (i use fishing string) and hold it over the back of the mare (by the hips) if it swings back and forth in a line it is supposed to be a colt, if it swings in a circle it is supposed to be a filly. It works off the fluid in the uterus, but you have to be away from a metal building as that would affect the nail also....It is just for fun, but what else have we got to do while we are waiting on these babies. LOL...

Tammy Snell
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are sooo funny, I will try the nail test tonite, away from the indoor! My mare is currently 232 days as of today, she is "due" Feb 22. She is pretty fat especially for a youg TB, she did not put all this weight on until she was prego, I think she looks good now, her belly is definitely low, not side to side so I will see if this coincides with the nail test!

Iam trying not to get to obsessive over the entire process, just keeping an eye on her and trying to put the fact that there is a baby in there aside. This baby will be a half sibling to my gelding, who might I ad is the love of my life. I will try to post some pics, might take me a bit to figure it out!

Tammy Snell
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG I think I did it! If this works this pic was when I first got my mare she was 3 at the time, did not breed her until she was 4 march 05

C:\Documents and Settings\Tammy\My Documents\My Pictures\practice 1

Beverly Outlaw
Yearling

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it sounds silly, but it is fun to do and then it is fun to see if it was right... One of the horses we sold to a man down the road and I was explaining the nail test he said no, i don't believe that kind of stuff. Well he had a pony mare that was due any day and I went over to his house and did the nail test and it swung in a circle. i said well, looks like you are going to have a filly. he said yea right! well the next day he calls me all excited talking about how the nail test was right and he was talking a mile a minute because he couldn't believe it...!!!LOL. sooo funny!

Anyway...please send pictures. would love to see her. I think i can send you my address to look. i dont have it wrote down. here are my horses....
http://community.webshots.com/user/outlawpaints101

I think that is it....if not , I will try to look it up and put it on there right.....
Bev

Tammy Snell
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok how do I turn that into a link that you can just click onto????

Beverly Outlaw
Yearling

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

try putting the http:// thingy to it! LOL. sorry i have just figured it out by playing around with it... hope it helps.

Tammy Snell
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok believe it or not I found it easier to build a website this afternoon than it was to try and download a pic. So here is my website LOL! my gelding is on the cover page and my mare is on the picture page! My geldings sire is Ironman and my new baby will have the same daddy!!! wooohoooo!!!

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeqs12o/

Beverly Outlaw
Yearling

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tammy! you have some beautiful horses. I love the grey!! That is my next color choice other than paint...Keep us updated!
Bev

Board Admin
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 10049
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Photo uploads are not available on this bulletin board. We recommend that you load them onto one of the free photo servers available on the Internet, and then include the link to the image (or as you have done, place it on your own website and include a link to that).

Tammy Snell
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You!

Jan H. (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 69.253.11.21
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI everyone my two mares are due in March they are 7 months along right now, one is a 17 hands tall AQHA who has her ROM SI 92 she is a sorrel with flaxen mane and tail she is a 3 and a half year old maiden bred to AQHA Tres sais, My bay mare is AQHA 15.3 hands and bred to a Homozygous tobiano named Lucky Two Straws and she is 7 months she has had (I believe) one previous foal in the past, she is 7 years old. You can see them here. Looks like we will all be shareing foalwatch together. :-)

http://photobucket.com/albums/b399/cmpsp1/

Tammy Snell
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey guys another question, I have noticed that my mare has little waxy spots on her teats, I know she never has these before, they are just random spots, White so Iam assuming that is wax, is this normal??

Renee
Yearling

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 06:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tammy and Beverly.
You both have some beautiful horses!! I love your stallion Beverly! I am just getting into paints with minis. I have been breeding minis for a while, and i have just introduced a few LWO+ mares, who will eventually be bred to my little homozygous black colt, and i have bought a pure white sabino/overo colt to use as my future stallion on my solid coloured mares.
I have tried the nail test with my mare that is due in a few weeks, and it swung fairly wildly in a cirle... I HOPE ITS RIGHT!!! :-) Id love a filly from this cross!
Tammy, it is normal for your mare to wax, but normally alot closer to her foaling date. How full is her udder? Could it just be some milk that has leaked out and dried on her teats?
Jan, how exciting!! You will have a colourful baby too!!! :-)
You can see my mini babies at http://www.freewebs.com/anyssapark

Beverly Outlaw
Yearling

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Renee,
you have some really pretty babies too. i love the little ones! good Luck on having the filly fairy come visit you!! LOL.

Tammy Snell
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 09:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renee-
I have done the nail test, and my mare seems to be carrying very low, or she is just FAT! the nail swung side to side, I dont care what it is as long as it is healthy and the birthing process is easy, this is my first one! Maybe a colt! Oh her udder is completely flat just like the day I bought her, just some waxy spots, kinda like stars.

Beverly Outlaw
Yearling

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/499809424AgPTND dont know if that link will work or not, but here is my mare that is due... the next links will be of her udder...
http://community.webshots.com/photo/499809955WiZrvo

she is ready to go.. hope those work .. if not i will post another link...

Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.45.224.165
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renee I love your minis they are beautiful! I just want to hug them! Tammy and Beverly your horses are just lovely! Hope everyone gets their wish in both a healthy foal and if gender can be gained by wishing I hope all wishes come true!

Beverly Outlaw
Yearling

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jan. I did the nail test and it says filly. It really would be nice to have a filly because if it is a colt, we will have to sale it.. we already have two stallions....Unless we get really lucky and get a black and white colt! LOL. Main thing is healthy. But thanks again!

Renee
Yearling

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beverly, i couldnt get onto those sights because of a high volume of users, so ill try again soon.
Thanks all for the compliments and good wishes on my horses and foaling. I just have to sit back and play the waiting game now. It makes me so anxious when they're so close to the due date. I cant take my eyes off her. She will be spending her first night in the foaling stall tonight... so that is bound to make me even more anxious!! LOL :-) Its all worth all the worry and excitement (not to mention the sleepless nights) when a healthy baby is born!! :-)
I really dont mind either way which sex the foal is if its happy and healthy, but i would love a little filly. An overo filly would be even better!!! :-) But either way, i have decided i would like to keep it as the sire has just been sold overseas (to New Zealand) and so this would be likely to be my last chance to have one of his foals. Ill let you know if any progress happens- but i think shes AT LEAST a week or more away yet... there is nothing to indicate anything different at this stage. Anyway, goodluck to you all

Emma
Weanling
Username: Emma

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 07:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renee, I just wanted to say what a amazing, sad and beautiful story on your web page about last years little colt who you sadly lost after a huge battle. I can't believe he was alive after that long! you must have been devastated when you lost him.

Renee
Yearling

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emma,
Yes, it was incredible that he was alive after that long... it just goes to show you just never know hey! Really he should have been dead. Then when he recovered from being a dummy foal- the poor little bloke really wanted a go at living! Hence is name "Miracle". It was really really sad when we lost him. And as it ended up turning out, the vet (who we all trusted) was mostly to blame, which made it even worse.
He was my first foal EVER too.. i tell you, was i scared for the rest of the foaling season!
We have the same mare here due to foal in February, i thought id give her one more go at being a mum.. i am really nervous about it though. Fingers crossed it'll go a bit smoother this time. She's had 4 foals and only the one dystocia, so i know she can do it properly!

Tammy Snell
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok I just went onto the USEF website and found out that the Oldenburg stallion Ironman is currently ranked 3rd in the country for Hunter breeding! Ironman is the sire of my gray gelding and the soon to be daddy of my baby on the way! I cant say enough good about Ironman, he is truely a wonderful stallion!

I have dressage and event horses and are so impressed with the temperment that Ironman passes on not to mention good looks and talent!

Congratulations to Nancy Maloney (owner) for doing such a wonderful job with such a talented and beautiful stallion!!!

Tammy Snell
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanted to thank all you guys for the wonderful compliments, and the well wishes for my mare!

I have finally posted some more pics on my website, under "photos" and "my mare's page" hope you all enjoy!

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeqs12o/

Renee
Yearling

Post Number: 67
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tammy...
Wow!! Well you did well in chosing your stallion then!! :-) Is there a pic of him somewhere? Do they have a website for him? Id love to see him.

Your website is coming along nicely too hey! Is that pic of your mare the one thats due in feb? Is it a current one? She doesnt seem to be showing yet does she? I suppose there is still 3.5 months to go...

Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tammy, let me get this straight, Iron man is not the stallion your mare is bred to is he? But your wording it looks like you are saying that your GELDING (who was sired by IronMan) is the sire to this foal you are expecting is that right?

Tammy Snell
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Renee & Jan

Ironman is the sire to my gray gelding, Iron Falcon. My mare is indeed bred to Ironman. My mare is by Jeblar by Alydar. The pics of her on my website are of the day I bought her. I gave her almost a year to mature and get to know her before I bred her last March. I bought her strickly on her pedigree! she is the nicest mare I have ever been around, and I am not a mare person. So Iam pretty excited about this baby. I am having issues with my computer accepting photos from my digital camera don't know why. And yes she is showing somewhat, if I could get the camera and the computer in sinc with one another I would post some prego pics, hopefully soon. I hope I cleared that up for you Jan Tammy

Oh Ironman does have a website, check it out!

http://www.ironmanonline.com

Margo Smith
Neonate
Username: Twinkletozzz

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I thought I was feeling the unborn baby but maybe too soon? She's not due until early April...thought I felt something like a little flutter and then later on a rolling sensation around her flank. Probably just digesting din-din, her favorite activity
Flirting Cove, Daedalus and Watermark, I'm the Master
http://community.webshots.com/user/premiumoldenburg

Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tammy that makes alot more sense! :-)

I appreciate you taking the time to clearify that for me. Ironman is gorgeous, it should make a very nice match! Good luck.

Jan

Tammy Snell
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margo-
That is one beautiful baby, I have seen a lot of Werbellin offspring, as I am from the area, they are all very nice!! Who is your mare in foal to now? Thanks Jan -Ironman is one of those stallions that you just cant stop looking at!!!!

Tammy

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US