SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Suppliments for last 90 days?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Suppliments for last 90 days? « Previous Next »

Baker (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 63.165.161.252
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a maiden mare that is approaching her last 90 days. I would like to make sure that she gets absolutely everything she needs during these critical last three months, especially since I plan on showing her for a few years after this foal is weaned. I know she will need a high protein, high fat, high calcium, low sugar diet, but I was wondering amongst all the suppliments out there what everyone has had the best luck with. She is currently on an alfalfa/grass round bale, but as I move her in from the pasture next week she will receive a 14% pellet feed as well as rolled oats in addition to the same round bale we have here at the place. I didn't know if Source plus a calcium suppliment would be enough, or if a specific mare suppliment is needed. She looks great and is doing well. I just want to make sure we she's not lacking in anything that might affect her in the future.

Rooty (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 72.56.36.121
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ideally get your hay/pasture analysed and go from there. The right calcium/phosphorous ratio is important, as is selenium, and unless you know what is deficient in your forage it is hard to supplement correctly.
We have used MarePlus in the past, but now feed Purina LegendMaker with Equilizer as a supplement in the last 90 days.

Tammy Melvin (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 12.221.22.152
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how much alfalfa is in the hay? Most grass hays are a little higher in phosphorus than calcium. This makes the need for more calcium crucial for the last month as well as when the foal is nursing. We use a Orchardgrass hay with a smidge of timothy. Our mare is a (1350 lb friesian). She is due 4-24. She currently gets 14 lbs of the hay, four lbs of John Lyons mare and foal feed by Nutrina, four lbs of beet pulp (high in calcium), one lb of oats, 1 1/2 oz selinium and vitamin E, 12 grams of lysine (most grass hay horses are deficiant in lysine), 2 oz of loose salt, .8 oz of Ascend joint gel, and 1/2 lb of vegetable oil. Her calcium to phosphorus levels are great until lactation, as are her lysine, vit E and selinium levels. She is getting enough digestable energy, and such. Do the research, it really pays off! I can tell you how many kilocal she gets, and its very comforting that you dont have to worry about what she is getting. Two WONDERFUL books are "feeding to win 1 & 2" then read your labels! Good luck with it...
Tammy

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US