SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Fat Broodmare needs to slim down

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Fat Broodmare needs to slim down « Previous Next »

Susannah Hart
Neonate
Username: Glennedynmorgans

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,

I have a 9 year old Morgan mare that is a VERY easy keeper. She is fat and I'm trying to slim her down a bit. She has fat deposits along the crest of her next, fat around where the girth goes, fat at the base of her neck along her shoulder.... she just looks like a Mack truck right now and I'm really worried.

She only gets 1/3 cup of oats twice a day along with her Source micro-pellets and she is out on pasture as much as possible. The pasture isn't dry or dusty but it's not knee-high either. We've had a pretty dry summer. In crummy weather she gets free-choice 1st cutting orchardgrass/timothy hay when in her stall. We dewormed her about a month ago and she is regularly dewormed.

We did have a hard time getting her in foal via AI. She had a foal in 2002 (our up and coming bay stud) and one two years prior - both live cover to the same stud w/no complications. We were unsuccessful with 2 AI attempts last year and finally succeeded with our 2nd AI attempt this year (but had to do 14 days of Regumate w/a Lutalyse shot on day 15 to get a good follicle). She was confirmed pregnant on July 15. I'm hoping to have the vet come out this Friday to make sure she's still pregnant. She is on 10cc of Regumate daily because her level was low-normal. She's been tested for insulin-resistance but she is fine.

She is exercised lightly. 3 hrs a week or less since Spring. After her 2002 foal was weaned and we got her back in shape, I discovered that this mare has more stamina than any horse I've worked with. She has a huge, ground-covering, Currier & Ives trot and can keep it up all day. I've taken it easy on her during the Spring/Summer this year because she is very attached to our 20 yr old gelding and gets very worked up and upset when taken away from him. I didn't want to stress her out in any way. The gelding will let you pony her but she doesn't want to be ponied and she won't let you pony the gelding when you ride her. Augh!

So, my question is: how can we slim her down more? Using a body scoring chart of 1-9 with 1 being poor and 9 being obese, I would say she creeping into the 8 range and is, indeed, a FAT mare. Will more exercise do the trick and at what stage in her pregnancy should I ease up? If she continues to remain pleasantly plump into her 3rd trimester, should I make any changes to her feed? I don't want her to founder. She is my first 'very own' horse and we want to keep her around for a long time.

Thanks,
Susie

Terri Berwanger
Neonate
Username: Terrib

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have what I call a Jenny Craig paddock here for fatties. It's a wood chip turn out pen where they only get hay and Lo Cal. You can also buy grazing muzzles to restrict intake of grass. With a pregnant mare you have to keep up Vits and mins, but I don't think she should be getting anything else. But you seem to be doing that all ready. Then you have the company issue. Tough to do. Maybe a bit more exercise would help.

Susannah Hart
Neonate
Username: Glennedynmorgans

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our vet was out to tend to our 20 yr old gelding this past Friday. I had him palpate the fat mare. She's still pregnant (thank the lord)! He said she is borderline obese and that she got that way from our pasture. I didn't think our pasture was anything great, but our vet said that drought-stressed plants have a high sugar content. Since she's been out close to 24/7, that's why she's beefed up so much. Since there is only one month of good grazing in our area, he said there was no need for a grazing muzzle.

On another note, our newest addition is putting on some weight. We brought home a 12 yr old mare 3 weeks ago and I would say she was in thin/moderate condition. She had weaned her foal 3 weeks prior to when we picked her up and being pregnant and having a foal at her side really took a lot out of her. She's looking good now and has settled in and, of course, won a huge place in all of our hearts already. :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US