Well finally on Saturday my little over due mare looked like she was getting down to bussiness (353 days), we alerted the vet and said we would call as soon as the foaling alarm went off at 10pm that night she did... Called the vet... No anwser. Red Bag!! luckly Val went in and got the nose and the one leg out... Couldn't find the other no matter what, this foal wasn't small like the vet had though either, called the vet NO ANSWER, tried her other phone, NO ANSWER, Tried the only despirate emergency only phone no answer..... She was at another foaling emergency and eventually called back, she had been just up the road so was on her way, 45-50 Minutes after the mare started foaling, the vet arrived, the the foals head and leg had been out all that time. The foals leg was way back and it took her a wee while to get it, we figure the foal was finially out of the mare at 11.15.... and hour and a quater after foaling here's the big you wont believe it was ALIVE.. we treated the poor exhausted mare, gave the wee foal some meds and got the 2 aquanted. The mare passed the placenta and the vet inspected it and one horn of the placenta had infection. The wee filly (yes I said filly, when everyone said overdue it'll be a colt) was up on her feet in no time and so strong for a wee one who had been though all that and is a very very greedy girl.. In the end we sat with the mare and foal until 6am as the foal would go hyperpoxitc while feeding, when we were happy that she had stopped doing it was when we left. Had the mare irrigated yesterday and the wee foal (no name yet - I can't think of anything special enough) was so pleased to get out and stretch her little gumby legs although she is very chesty, both mum and baby are getting antibiotics morning and night and baby is having a blood work done today to find out what bugs she has seen as she has been living in a big old infection... Please keep your fingers crossed for the wee one she has had such a rough start..... We have another mare looking readyish... here's hoping she can wait a few days... Im not sure were ready again yet with only an hours sleep.
Ahh! What a nightmare! I hate when you can't get your vet in an emergency. I know other people have emergencies, but when it's happening to you, you think your mare is the most important and why can't they answer the damn phone!
Well done Victoria, sounds like the little bugger gave you a bit of a hard time! At least she wasn't a small foal and has been strong enough to battle whatever is comming her way, We all like a fighter!!!
Oh, you guys are sooo lucky. As I said in a different thread I hope all will be well.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: