SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

My prego mare coliced yesterday

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » My prego mare coliced yesterday « Previous Next »

happy dawg (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 71.112.130.151
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My maiden mare is 73 days along in her pregnancy and all was going well until yesterday. I hauled her and my yearling to the barn where my other filly is boarded at (20 min drive) to get thier vacc's and my mare checked.My vet sedated my mare and checked to make sure she is still in foal (yes) and then gave her her rhino flu vacc.We then loaded back up and took them home. I put her in her padock and she started eating some hay I decided she was not ready to eat yet (sedation not wore off enough) and gathered up the hay. She then started pacing and then layed down and started groining. I quietly started freaking I thought for sure she was going into labor and was going to abort right in front of me. She got back up then went back down. I ran for the phone and called my vet. My husband went to check on her while I was on the phone and she was back up standing like normal looking for food.I took her Her temp it was normal. My vet got there 20min later and althou she was acting much better he said her gut sounds were still slow. He gave her a sedative (I cant remember what) to help her relax. It did not make her groggy. He gave me some banamine paste and told me if she dosnt get better to call him and give her some B. I checked on her often she is doing fine, but MAN OHH MAN it was scary. Now of course Im scared to death that she will loose the baby Has anybody else had a mare colic this early in thier pregnancy? I dont know how Im going to surrive this looooong gestation

Rooty (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 72.56.36.121
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is possible she reacted to the vaccine - that can cause inflammation in the intestines that in turn cause colic-like symptoms. Look into giving her an anti-inflammatory before any vaccines.
BTW as I understand it, the flu vaccine is NOT recommended for pregnant mares. Neither is rhino unless it is a killed vaccine like Pneumabort, it might not be a bad idea to have your mare preg checked after this incident, for peace of mind if nothing else, 340 days is a long time.

LRidgeway
Yearling
Username: Laurie

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I don't think any of the vacccines are recommended for pregnant mares (especially during certain stages), but it's sort of a toss up as far as are we more concerned with the mares health/safety or the foals?

Terri Berwanger
Neonate
Username: Terrib

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mares all receive Flu/Tetnus 6 weeks before foaling and never have a problem. It's recommended by my vet and I will never leave one untreated. I do all heavy duty worming between foalings and do follow the 90 day rule,of nothing harmful in their system, but would never put my mares life at risk for a foal. No mare no more foals.

Unregistered guest
Posted From: 72.56.36.121
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The flu vaccine says right on it that it should not be given to pregnant mares. It doesn't matter what stage of pregnancy to the best of my knowledge. And my vet does not recommend it. Rhino needs to be a killed vaccine, not a live one. I vaccinate for rabies, tetanus, WNV, encephalitis, EHV-1 at the appropriate times.
I doubt your mare would die from flu, even if she did get it. Not saying it's impossible, especially if the horse's health or immune system is otherwise compromised, but in my experience I've never seen a horse die from the flu. So I don't think you're putting your mare's life at risk by not vaccinating for flu.

Terri Berwanger
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 12:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in Ireland and all we have to give over here is the one vaccine and our strains may be diffrent to yours. My main concern is the tetnus end of things as my mares are out 24/7 and if something happens to them in the middle of the night at least I know they are protected. The only other vaccines are the killed rhino in the 5,7,9th months. Back home you guys have to hit with more vaccines then we do so I don't think I'm putting my mares at risk and we have very healthy foals.

Unregistered guest
Posted From: 69.17.167.38
Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, strains and vaccines could be different. Of course you guys don't have rabies and all our nasty mosquito-born diseases to worry about! Flu isn't an issue for my broodmares anyway, they live in my backyard and we have very little traffic.

Terri Berwanger
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 12:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is an advantage living on a cold rainy island Rooty! Mind you we have that bird flu thing coming closer and that could always create havoc with genes mutating and what not. My husband would go demented if we had to fork out all the money for all the vaccs back home. He cries about yearly's and I just go and get the broodmare vacs without telling him and then hide bills until their paid!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US