SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Results of the scan - what in the world is going on??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 1 » Results of the scan - what in the world is going on?? « Previous Next »

victoria
Neonate
Username: Rvf

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 08:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay here goes, My little mare was scanned today as the vet
was worried and wanted to check the foal out she was worred that the blood supply wasn't making it though the cord. This mare had a c-section a few years back as her foal died in utero (twisted cord before it had turned, presented all four feet). Anyway all seems to be in order at this stage placenta looks
good, good blood flow through the cord - which you could see on the scan, active baby, and the bone structure had started to harden up, but the foal is very small and has not turned yet and is still laying across her
belly. My vet says it usually take 3 weeks for them to turn (anyone know anything about this??) so who
knows (maybe she aborted and got bred though the fence? we don't think
so but you never do know). I guess we are playing the waiting game
now... The vet wants to give the foal a through going over once it arrives, she does not know whats causing it to be so small. Although she did say its this size now (demonstrating with her hands) so I don't know if that means its grown since friday, I assumed someone who had been there on Friday knew what she was talking about but they didn't!? The mare has not been setting the alarm off at night but 8am every morning she has a big sleep, her udder is up and down like a yo yo, I have to say its pretty nerve wracking....

Emma
Nursing Foal
Username: Emma

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Victoria, You sound like you are a bit of a wreck at the moment. How could the vet tell the foal is small? I would think if she was this late in her pregnancy and unless it was very very small, then it would be hard to tell if it was a small foal or a big one seeings it would taking up most of the mares abdomen by now. One of my mares foaled a small foal this year (granted she was a maiden and 3 weeks prem) but the foal is as healthy as any of our others if not healthier. Your mare still sounds like she could be some way off, mares don't always (actually hardly ever) foal on there 'Due Dates' and it's not unusual for them to go over by even a month or so, this could also be the reason why the foal is lying across her tummy and may also be why the foal is a little bit small still. I wouldn't be to concerned. As for your mares bag going up and down that is very normal and just means she is still a little while off foaling. when she gets close to the time her bag will become very full and will not go down. I hope that has put your mind at ease.

victoria
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 06:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Emma,
She is 351 days and the foal is very very small from what I understand. I am a wreck, this mare was my 21st present as a weanling (she's now 8). From all reports it looks like she could foal in the next couple of days.. drops of fluid can be expressed (not sure if it has been tested yet), she has dropped..... I wish she'd hold of another week now (who'd have thought I'd say that.....)

Emma
Nursing Foal
Username: Emma

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 07:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was able to express milk (or water like fluid) from all my mares at least 4 weeks prior to foaling so unless what you are expressing is the colour of skim milk i wouldn't be to concerned. One of my mares also dropped in her belly about 2 1/2 weeks before she foaled. How big is the foals father?? I still think you will have at least a week to go before she foals. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Keep me posted

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10330
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How small is small? Be aware that foals that are born following longer term pregnancies are very often smaller than one would expect. This is thought to be as a result of a period of delayed uterine development - the reasons for which are unclear in many if not most cases. Note too that there is no such thing as a "due date" in the equine, and the average range of pregnancy duration is anywhere between 320 and 370 days - in other words, your mare is still well within the "average" for pregnancy duration. Another point to consider is that the foal does not generally position itself in the presentation position until very shortly before - or even during - the early stages of labour commence.

I would not be particularly concerned if it were my mare at this stage, but if you do have an ongoing concern, or there are other factors that are worrying, get a second opinion from second veterinarian, or have your first vet re-evaluate.

victoria
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 06:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks the main concern is the size of the foal, apprently quite small could easily be turned by hand if required, I actually want him to keep hanging in there for a while longer now... I have disussed with our other vet, her comment was wait till your mare hits 375 days.. She didn't seem worried at all... This is only the stallions second foal so of course genetic disorders at on everyones minds....

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US